Thread: Primal Snacks page

TriGirl is offline Member

Primal Snacks

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

So I am trying to come up with some primal snacks that include vegetables, protein and fat and are rather easy to bring along for work etc without having to bring a ton of tupperware...
    It doesn't really matter if it takes a little preparation the night before.

My go tos at the moment are:
    Omelet muffins
    Sushi rolls with egg, ham and avocado/cucumber/carrots etc

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Lonnie

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    The best primal snack is no snack! Seriously, if you check out the Now Epic Leptin thread, you will see that snacking is a. Not necessary and b. Disruptive to you basic biochemical cycles and c. Will interfere with weight loss if that is one of your goals.

Your goal should be to have adequate fat and protein at breakfast to get you comfortably to lunch, ditto from lunch to dinner. People undergoing Dr. Kruse's Leptin Reset Protocol start the day with 50grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking. They find they have no need for snacks and it simplifies life immensely.some snacking is strictly habit rather than hunger, the mid-morning coffee break fir example. Just adding cream interrupts the fat burning cycle.

That said - deviled eggs, salami/ cheese /pickle rolls, beef jerky, almonds.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 08-25-2011 at 11:55 PM.

I do triathlons so my exercise pattern is definitely not primal, and to get the best recovery/energy for workouts (sometimes twice a day) I need the snacks. When I don't train I really do not snack that much. My goal right now is to make some better (say not just fruit because it is easy) snacks that will keep me going for longer! But thanks for the input!

Valentinebaby is offline Junior Member
    I know no matter how much fat I had at breakfast I'd still struggle to get through a 60 miler and to lunch with no other food! You'd be scraping me off the floor!

I tend to take a few nuts and find that they help to keep me from bonking.

But generally before training I will have a clementine and a few berries. And I always drink full fat milk straight after training

The sports nutritionists I know say you should have carbs after training to help with recovery but I am seeing how I get on without for now.

Yeah I do carbs (sweet potatoes and bananas) before and after training to get the best recovery. But it is definitely still in moderation compared to other triathletes. I unfortunately can't stomach milk which is to bad since it's such an easy post workout recovery drink. But if you try to limit your intake of fruit the snack options get a bit more complicated, especially if you want to bring i with you.

How long have you done primal in relation to your sport? What is your experience so far?

Valentinebaby is offline Junior Member
    Not long at all just coming to end of second week but idid do a primal based eating plan last year as well.

So far so good I was really strong on the bike last night but not done much running on it yet

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I've been making manioc flour tortillas stuffed with almond butter and sliced bananas as a post-training snack the past few days... really gives me a good boost after doing jiu jitsu and crossfit back-to-back.

I've also been making lots of my own Lara Bars by throwing almonds, dates, dried blueberries, shredded coconut, and stevia in a blender and then making bars out of the stuff. I also throw in a bit of protein powder because it tends to dry them out a bit and make them less sticky with some good added protein.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I just tote around canned fish and combine it with fresh vegetables, normally cucumbers and cabbages, since they are easy to bring and keep. But we have a huge fridge at work.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I've also been making lots of my own Lara Bars by throwing almonds, dates, dried blueberries, shredded coconut, and stevia in a blender and then making bars out of the stuff. I also throw in a bit of protein powder because it tends to dry them out a bit and make them less sticky with some good added protein.
    I second the Larabars idea. I usually pair it with beef jerky. Here's a recipe for a homemade coconut cream pie larabar you can do fairly inexpensively. I like the idea of adding some protein powder to it - will have to play around with that a bit.
    Homemade Coconut Cream Pie Larabar Recipe | Paleo Spirit

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Here's my "go to" if I need a snack...

*Super Nut Muffins*

*Ingredients:*

3 cups nuts (mix of walnuts, almonds & pecan nuts, or what you prefer)
    .5 cup Pumpkin Seeds
    1 cup pitted dates (about 12-15)You can also use dried mango or pineapple
    .5 cups dried cranberries
    Juice from one Lemon
    1-2 tbsp lemon zest
    .5 cup coconut flakes (I like the bigger flakes; unsweetened)
    1-2 tbsp ginger (chopped or grated; depending on how you like)
    1/3 cup almond flour
    2 eggs
    1/8 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    1/4 cup molasses (optional: substitiute with almond butter)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground nutmeg
    Dark Chocolate Chips(optional, but I love em)

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease muffin pan (Coconut oil preferred).
    Mix nuts & dates together in food processor. Chop together until the nuts
    and dates are chopped up but not too finely chopped; enough to break up the
    nuts and dates.
    In a different bowl, pour nut and date mixture, then add all other
    ingredients. Mix well and scoop into muffin trays (these will not rise).
    Bake until the tops are golden brown (about 25 minutes) and let cool.
    Eat and enjoy!! Makes about 10 nut muffins.

**These muffins are great snacks & breakfast alternatives for kids and
    teachers alike. They are full of nuts (good, healthy fats) and
    deliciousness to sustain energy for longer periods of time, so kids (and
    teachers) don't have drastic energy drops (sugar crashes) throughout the
    day. These treats are also gluten free, grain free, & dairy free. You can use more or less
    molasses (to taste), without any, they should still be sweet because of the
    dates.* If you reduce the amount of molasses add almond butter to help keep the muffins from crumbling.