Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - An Army Man's Perspective to improve Mass and Fitness page

Tracer is offline Member

Primal Journal - An Army Man's Perspective to improve Mass and Fitness

Primal Fuel
    G'day All

I am about to start on my progression into Primal Living. Whilst I am fairly certain most Journals start with some similar such statement I still decided it had to be said.

Firstly however, a little about myself. I am in the military and very interested in fitness (general). I have just finished a four week course where I was trained to be a Combat Fitness Leader - a fairly physical course to say the least. Two weeks ago today I read about the Primal Blueprint and began adopting Mark's approach to eating and life - and I think it is great! I have been doing the best I can to stick to his eating style and have succeeded thus far. I lost 4 Kg on the Combat Fitness Leader course, although I think that was probably as much to do with the continual exercise as anything else.

It is worth stating at this point that I am not making this lifestyle transition to loose weight. Four weeks ago I weighed 65 Kg and now weigh 61 Kg at 182cm - so anyone that can do some quick math with realise that I am (according to BMI) underweight. I instead wish to adopt this lifestyle for the health benefits and simply because it rings true with me.

I am mostly over the 'Carb Flu' transition period (at least I think I am), assisted greatly by the very physical previous two weeks. I plan on beginning focused training again in a weeks time, but until then it will be light exercise and plenty of food to build my muscle mass back to a better weight.

So, starting this coming Monday (29 Aug) I am going to start the 30 Day Challenge simply to make the complete transition. I will be adopting a strict approach which is similar to the Whole30 plan.

I will keep a log of all my physical activity and daily food in here in the hope to provide an education from the point of view of someone who wants to improve body mass and take their fitness higher than an already above average baseline.

I hope this provides some interest to the community. If not it matters not as it will be a good chance for me to document my 'experiment/journey'

Peace and happiness to all. Thanks.

P.S. My brother is currently overweight and not in a healthy state so I hope to drag him along with me and help him out. I have not broached the subject with him yet but will be doing so soon - wish me luck!
    "Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Tracer!

Tracer is offline Member
    Thanks HillsideGina. I'm looking forward to posting my progress / findings.
    "Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

JpGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tracer, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress - I've been on a strict primal diet/exercise program for 3 weeks and feel great - I'm sure you will too.

I'm also fairly lean (with a little too much belly fat) so I'm hoping to see some increase in lean mass - it seems like the fat is coming off first for me at this point despite my increasing appetite. It's an exciting journey.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Tracer is offline Member
    Good to hear JpGrok!

Well I start the 30 days tomorrow. As I said I have been eating 'Primally' for the past two weeks and I honestly do not know what to think. I considered myself a very healthy, very active and fit individual before making the decision the change. I understand there is a transition period of at least three weeks so I will just wait and see I guess.

I will not lie. I am slightly skeptical (given I was, and still am, perfectly healthy) - this is an experiment for myself to improve my physical fitness and health, not to loose weight (indeed I am in need to gaining weight at the moment) or try to overcome an illness or disease. We shall see I guess. Again, I hope this provides some information from a different point of view for people.

On another note, ontop of the daily meal and exercise tracking I will also make note on how I am feeling, what my percieved stress was for the day, how much energy I had for the day and any biological signs/symptons/factors that are occuring or are noticable.

One day until I start. Any final tips anyone? haha

Peace and love everyone

JpGrok is offline Senior Member
    Tracer, it's good to be skeptical. If you're already fit and healthy, I doubt you will notice the benefits immediately. One big thing I noticed was feeling at peace with my digestive system. I'm also getting stronger in the gym whilst losing body fat. Perhaps take a blood test before and after to see the internal effects?

Any tips? Stick with it 100%. And give the interval training sessions hell - this is where us leaner guys benefit from the growth hormone and testosterone release.

Tracer is offline Member
    Well here it is, the end of day 1. My 'report' can be found below.

Breakfast
    1. Meal: Mushroom and Bacon

2. Ingredients:
    a. Hand-full Button Mushrooms, sliced
    b. Two rashers Bacon, sliced
    c. Baby Spinach Leaves (fair quantity – they shrivelled nicely whilst frying)
    d. Pepper
    3. How to make it
    a. Fried all the ingredients in a pan with Olive oil. Cracked the pepper over the top whilst frying then served.
    4. Comments: Was a surprisingly tasty meal. If I do it again I will add more spinach and really fry it until it is crispy!

Lunch
    1. Meal: Oyster Starter, followed by Steak (Pasture Fed) with pumpkin, tomato and walnuts as a side.

2. Ingredients:
    a. 6 x Oysters with freshly squeezed lemon on-top.
    b. 400g Pasture Fed Australian Steak (Medium Rare)
    c. 3 x Large Pumpkin Slices baked in olive oil with a sprinkling of Walnuts on top.
    d. 1 x Medium Tomato, fried
    e. Chilli Sauce (Diced Chilli, Sun Dried Tomato’s, Tomato Paste)

3. How to make it?
    a. To best honest... I have started Holidays and had this meal at an expensive restaurant with my Mother (as a catch-up day out with her). I ensured all ingredients were prepared with olive oil and made sure the chilli sauce had nothing ‘wrong’ in it. Very delicious meal.
    4. Comments: It was excellent (it would want to be for the price! Haha!). Had it with a green tea and thoroughly enjoyed spending some quality time with my mother.

Dinner
    1. Meal: Chicken Ceasar Salad

2. Ingredients:
    a. Rocket and Baby Spinich leaves,
    b. Two chicken thighs diced and cooked in olive oil,
    c. 2 x hard boiled eggs,
    d. Home-made Mayonnaise (2 x egg yolks, 200ml olive oil, 3 tsp lemon juice – freshly squeezed and two pinches of salt. Whisked all together and stored in the fridge)
    3. How to make it?
    a. Threw all the ingrediants together in a bowl and drizzled around five tea-spoons on home-made mayonnaise on top.
    4. Comments: Worked well, it was quite nice. In future I might try to spice it up with some cashew or almond nuts. I might also look at mixing in some garlic to the home-made mayonnaise prior to throwing it on the salad for some extra ‘zing’. I could even drizzle Almond Meal on top...

Other (Snacks)
    1. Meal: 3 x Strawberries, 2 x Hard Boiled Eggs, 3 x 3cm Celery pieces with Almond Butter

2. Ingredients:
    a. Uh... yeah, fairly straight forward.
    3. How to make it?
    a. Just eat it!
    4. Comments: I consumed this snack about 3 hours after breakfast and after my Gym workout. It was a good ‘pick me up’ and certainly filled a hole in my stomach.

Physical Training
    Today was the start of my re-conditioning phase. My body is weaker and not as fit as it was after being put through a fairly arduous course. Therefore, I have restricted myself to weight training for the coming week but will continually re-assess my conditioning progress. I have lost a lot of weight and need to gain it back to be able to begin my serious tri-athlon and cross-fit training. Anyway... My work-out was the following:

1. 4 x Super Sets of:
    a. Dumbbell Bench-Press,
    b. Lat Pull Down,
    c. 1 Min rest between Sets.
    2. 4 x Super Sets of:
    a. Incline Dumbbell Press,
    b. Seated Row,
    3. 4 x Super Sets of:
    a. Assisted Pull-ups (over grasp grip),
    b. Barbell Shoulder Press,
    Biological Factors
    Nothing significant to report. It appears that my taste buds are more sensitive (probably because of two weeks with no sugar), which is an awesome side effect. Foods never tasted so delicious!

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 6 – Energy levels felt slightly above normal

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 6 – Was a happy day, although there were a few instances of aggravation for me that, whilst not abnormal, I would prefer to not have had them

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – Overall slightly above average. It was a ‘good feeling’ day.
    Last edited by Tracer; 08-29-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Tracer is offline Member
    Well day two down. My report will be in the next post.

I had a very tiring night last night with my partner (doing an assignment... not as much fun as what the statement might have initially implied) so I spent the majority of the day recovering.

Feeling good, I think I may be starting the get over the 'carb flu'. Or it could be that I am in a rest/recondition phase of my physical training. I hope it is both.

Tracer is offline Member
    Tuesday 30 Aug 11 – Day 2 Week 1

Breakfast
    1. Meal: Omelette

2. Ingredients:
    a. Hand-full Button Mushrooms, sliced
    b. Half a Tomato, sliced
    c. 3 x Eggs,
    d. 2 tbs chives,
    e. 2 tbs diced onions,
    f. 1 tbs olive oil,
    g. Half a hand-full of cashew nuts (natural, unsalted),
    h. Pinch of pepper.
    3. How to make it
    a. Whisk the 3 eggs with the chives, pepper and onions (after frying the onion on light heat for a few minutes),
    b. Cook omelette in light – medium heat until nearly cooked through (so you can flip it!), then flip for another minute or two,
    c. Fry the tomato, mushrooms and cashew nuts to your likening immediately after removing the omelette,
    d. Place all fried ingredients on-top the omelette, fold in half and enjoy.
    4. Comments: Was a very fulfilling meal! I will definitely be making it again sometime. Then again, it would be hard to stuff up an omelette – just cook it and put in what you want!

Lunch
    1. Meal: Home-made Salad.

2. Ingredients:
    a. Rocket Leaves to fill your bowl,
    b. Large hand-full of baby spinach leaves,
    c. Few thin slices of ham, torn into shreds,
    d. 1 x jalapeño, sliced,
    e. Half a hand-full of cashew nuts (natural, unsalted),
    f. 3 tsp of Home-Made mayonnaise (see 29 Aug 11 entry for ingredients).
    g. 3 tsp olive oil, separate and used as necessary during the frying.
    3. How to make it?
    a. Throw the rocket in a bowel then fry the remaining ingredients with the olive oil on low heat to your liking. Once done, throw them with the rocket, drizzle the Home-Made mayonnaise and sprinkle pepper.
    4. Comments: Basic but enjoyable. I need to find something to add some ‘zing’ to the home-made mayonnaise as it is a bit bland. The other ingredients were nice and left me satisfied given the general small appearance of the portions and meal.

Dinner

1. Meal: Baked Salmon with Pistachio Salsa

2. Ingredients:
    a. SALMON
    b. 4 x Salmon Fillets
    c. 2 tbs Olive Oil
    d. 1 bunch dill
    e. 1 orange, juiced
    f. Sea salt
    g. SALSA
    h. 1 bunch finely chopped flat leaf parsley
    i. 1 tbs Olive Oil
    j. ½ cup Pistachio Nuts
    k. ¼ Cup chopped chives
    l. Pinch of sea salt.
    3. How to make it?
    a. Pre-heat the oven to 180 – 200 degrees Celsius.
    b. Spread the sea salt on top the Salmon pieces and press into the meat. Place the salmon inside an aluminium foil piece large enough to wrap around the meat, then drizzle the olive oil, orange juice and dill on top and fold the aluminium foil tightly around the fish.
    c. Place wrapped Salmon pieces on a tray and bake for 20 – 30 mins (I did it for 25 mins).
    d. To make the Salsa mix all the Salsa ingredients in a smallish bowl and mix it around (enough that everything is tossed together with the olive oil).
    e. I served the Salmon inside the foil (just unfolded the top) so the juices would remain with the meat and used a teaspoon to scoop the salsa ontop. I also served it with baked pumpkin pieces (cooked in the oven using olive oil).
    4. Comments: I made this for my partner, mother, brother and I and what can I say... it was amazing. No kidding, everyone thought they should be paying for it. Very succulent dish! What really made it work was the juicy oil the salmon was cooked in – my advice to you is ensure you leave it with the salmon when serving. (Also, I used 4 tbs Olive Oil in the Salmon as opposed to 2 so it was extra ‘oily’!)

Other (Snacks)

1. Meal: 4 x Strawberries, 1 x Hard Boiled Eggs

2. Ingredients:
    a. Uh... yeah, fairly straight forward.
    3. How to make it?
    a. Just eat it!
    4. Comments: I consumed this snack about 2 hours after breakfast and after my Gym workout prior to having a four hour sleep (last night was rough. I was up very late helping my partner complete an assignment).

Physical Training
    Continuing on with my re-conditioning phase I focused on arms. My work-out was the following:

5 x Super Sets of:
    a. 5 x Incline Hammer Curls,
    b. 10 x Body-weight dips,
    2. 5 x Super Sets of:
    a. 5 x Reverse Barbell curls into a shoulder press,
    b. 5 x Barbell curls,
    3. Final Set:
    a. Maximum Reverse Barbell Curls into a Shoulder Press, reduce the weight, max reps again, reduce the weight and one final maximum reps.
    Biological Factors
    Nothing significant to report. I have an inkling that the ‘change over’ to getting used to burning fats is occurring. I cannot explain in detail why this is, however I feel like I am fuller for longer and maintain a constant energy level. However I cannot confirm this and don’t want to put too much weight to this feeling as I have had a disturbed sleep cycle as a result of staying up late to assist with my partner’s assignment.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 7 – Energy levels were really good today, despite being very tired from the previous night. I had moderate portioned meals of good fats, protein and natural carbohydrates and felt very content ‘hunger’ wise all day. A very good day all around.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 4 – It’s not that I was unhappy, but probably because I was very tired. I slept a lot today and got agitated when picking my partner up from work for no real reason. I put it down to lack of sleep, as I ‘picked up’ later that evening when cooking dinner.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 A rather high rating given my perceived stress score but honestly overall today was good. I spent a fair deal of it recovering from a sleepless night but the food was excellent and my energy levels were constantly solid – could it be that I am getting over the ‘carb flu’ at last after two and a bit weeks?

Tracer is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well day three has rolled over and is done. I spent the majority of the day preparing for the glorious dinner meal and reading. Report to follow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast