Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - An Army Man's Perspective to improve Mass and Fitness page 2

Tracer is offline Member
    Wednesday 31 Aug 11 – Day 3 Week 1
    Breakfast
    1. Meal: Fat Bomb Smoothie

2. Ingredients: Fat Bomb Smoothie: The Ultimate "Energy Drink" | Free The Animal

3. How to make it
    a. As per the recipe in the link above, only I did not use any protein powder.

4. Comments: Awesome smoothie that powered me through the morning and into my weight session. Very cool!

Lunch
    1. Meal: Home-made Salad.

2. Ingredients:
    a. Rocket Leaves to fill your bowl,
    b. Several slices of Ham,
    c. 2 x Large Mushrooms, diced,
    d. 1 x jalapeño, sliced,
    e. 5 x Macadamia Nuts,
    f. 3 tsp of Home-Made mayonnaise (see 29 Aug 11 entry for ingredients).
    g. 3 tsp olive oil, separate and used as necessary during the frying.
    3. How to make it?
    a. Fry all the ingredients (except the Rocket) and throw in a bowl with the Rocket. Stir around and eat it up!
    4. Comments: I was very hungry so I decided to make one of Mark’s ‘Big-Arse Salads!’. It was very enjoyable.

Dinner
    1. Meal: Fajitas

2. Ingredients:

a. http://www.paleoplan.com/2010/02-23/chicken-fajitas-with-guacamole/
    b. http://www.icookfree.com/cook/main-dish/fajitas/
    3. How to make it?
    a. I used a mix between the above two recipes, along with making some home-made Guacamole and Salsa (Google Paleo versions of either of these for instructions).
    b. I served it all on a large plate with side dishes of Guacamole and Salsa for my partner, mother and I. Plates were covered in lettuce and my mother and partner had wholemeal tortillas (I, of-course, did not!). The rest was self serve.
    4. Comments: Another amazing dinner. This went down an absolute treat and filled everyone up well.

Other (Snacks)
    1. Meal: Hard Boiled Egg and fried tomato.

2. Comments: I ate this after returning from my workout to ‘top-up’. Nothing special, just a bite to eat.

Physical Training
    Continuing on with my re-conditioning phase I focused on legs. My aim was to complete a few heavy compound movements and really tax my legs. I achieved this aim fairly quickly (my strength is significantly lower than what it was a month ago... disappointing but it was to be expected – emphasising the need to ‘re-condition’). I intended to super-set the dead-lifts but decided it would be better to purely focus on the lifts. My work-out was the following:
    1. 5 x Super Sets of:
    a. 5 x Weighted Squats,
    b. 5 x Hamstring Extensions,
    c. 1.5 mins rest between Sets.
    2. 5 x Sets of:
    a. 5 x Dead-Lifts
    b. 1.5 mins rest
    Biological Factors
    Nothing for today.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 5 – Energy levels were average today. Nothing special.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 6 – Very few stressful situations during the day. Overall it was a very relaxed day of mostly cooking and reading.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – Although it was a relaxing day I did not feel as ‘good’ as the day before. Despite this it was still above average.
    "Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Tracer is offline Member
    Firstly, sorry for the lack of updates - I have had a busy time being on holidays and all. Anyhow, here are the latest logs. I will make comment after posting them all - however I have changed the format to no longer show the reciepes (I did not think it was necessary, if anyone really wants them just PM me)
    "Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Tracer is offline Member
    Thursday 01 Sep 11 – Day 4 Week 1

Breakfast
    1. Meal: Steak with left-over Salsa

2. Ingredients:

a. 1 x 200g Steak
    b. Left-Over Salsa from previous night (approx 1 and a half tomatos, half an onion and some diced red pepper).

3. How to make it
    a. Cooked the steak and then fried the Salsa, serving the Salsa ontop.

4. Comments: I felt the desire for a bit protein hit for some reason so I went with my ‘gut instinct’. Fried Salsa was a nice addition.

Lunch
    1. Meal: Home-made Salad.

2. Ingredients:
    a. Rocket Leaves to fill your bowl,
    b. Several slices of Ham,
    c. 2 x Large Mushrooms, diced,
    d. 1 x jalapeño, sliced,
    e. 5 x Macadamia Nuts,
    f. 3 tsp of Home-Made mayonnaise (see 29 Aug 11 entry for ingredients).
    g. 3 tsp olive oil, separate and used as necessary during the frying.

3. How to make it?
    a. Fry all the ingredients (except the Rocket) and throw in a bowl with the Rocket. Stir around and eat it up!

4. Comments: I was very hungry so I decided to make one of Mark’s ‘Big-Arse Salads!’. It was very enjoyable.

Dinner
    1. Meal: Fajitas

2. Ingredients:

a. http://www.paleoplan.com/2010/02-23/chicken-fajitas-with-guacamole/
    b. http://www.icookfree.com/cook/main-dish/fajitas/

3. How to make it?
    a. I used a mix between the above two recipes, along with making some home-made Guacamole and Salsa (Google Paleo versions of either of these for instructions).
    b. I served it all on a large plate with side dishes of Guacamole and Salsa for my partner, mother and I. Plates were covered in lettuce and my mother and partner had wholemeal tortillas (I, of-course, did not!). The rest was self serve.

4. Comments: Another amazing dinner. This went down an absolute treat and filled everyone up well.

Other (Snacks)
    1. Meal: 4 x 4cm Celery with Almond Butter; 1 x Strawberry with a handful of Blueberries; Couple of Macadamia Nuts.

2. Comments: I have felt fairly hungry all day and have been constantly snacking on the above list... could this have been because of the lack of Fats at breakfast?

Physical Training
    Assisting my Family ensured I had a rest day today.

Biological Factors
    Nothing for today.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 5 – Energy levels were average today. Nothing special.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 6 – Very few stressful situations during the day. Overall it was a very relaxed day of mostly cooking and reading.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – Although it was a relaxing day I did not feel as ‘good’ as the day before. Despite this it was still above average.
    Last edited by Tracer; 09-07-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Tracer is offline Member
    Friday 02 Sep 11 – Day 4 Week 1

Breakfast – Bacon and Eggs

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Chicken Breast with Coconut Cream Sauce & Sun-Dried Tomato, Roast Pumpkins

Other (Snacks) – Nuts, snacking on food prep for Saturday’s Picnic

Physical Training
    Continuing on with my re-conditioning phase moving into more ‘circuit/crossfit’ type training. No rest just continual work – felt very good during and after.
    1. 5 x rounds of:
    a. 5 x Bench-Press,
    b. 5 x Pull-ups,
    c. 5 x Seated Row.

2. 5 x Sets of:
    a. 5 x Bench-Press,
    b. 5 x Seated Row
    Biological Factors. Nothing for today.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 6 – Energy levels were good today I felt energised all day. I ended up running around with my mother aiding her with chores and then was straight into cooking all afternoon for a picnic with my girlfriend on Saturday.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – A very enjoyable day despite running around working. I enjoyed all the cooking I did and learnt a lot whilst doing it.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 – Very good. I made comment several times that I think I am nearing completion of the ‘carb flu’ period.

NOTE: I changed the layout of the reports as I felt it was unnecessary placing info about ingredients and cooking and thought it would be better to spend time commenting on energy levels, stress and ‘how I feel’ ratings.
    Last edited by Tracer; 09-07-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Tracer is offline Member
    Saturday 03 Sep 11 – Day 5 Week 1

Breakfast – Picnic Breakfast (Stuffed Mushrooms, Stuffed Tomato, Ham and egg Cupcakes, Asparagus wrapped in bacon, Almond Meal pancakes and Almond Meal Crackers with Cashew and Lemon Hummus) – Awesome, all the food was excellent.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – fillet Mignon with 3 King prawns in chilli sauce with vegetables.

Other (Snacks) – nil.

Physical Training. None, rest day visiting my partner’s parents.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 7 – Energy levels were good. It was a full day of activity and I did not find that I felt tired or drained at any stage.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – An easy, enjoyable day. There were little instances of stress (although a short burst where I thought we were late to my partner’s parents). Minimal stress.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 – Very good overall. My mind was very active and there were no ‘mental lethargy’ periods.

Comments: A very enjoyable day. It started early and I maintained a constant energy level throughout the entire day, driving for 2 hours followed by a picnic breakfast, some shopping then having an afternoon and dinner with my partner’s parents. However, at about 2130 h I crashed, although I do not put this down to a lack of energy but rather a fairly extensive day.
    Last edited by Tracer; 09-07-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Tracer is offline Member
    Sunday 04 Sep 11 – Day 6 Week 1

Breakfast – 2 fried eggs (runny yolk) with a rasher of bacon and some fried tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Roast Pork with pumpkin.

Other (Snacks) – small amount of macadamia nuts, left-over pancakes and biscuits with hummus from the picnic.

Physical Training. Nil

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 6 – Energy levels were again good, although not as high as the previous day. I did not feel any ‘afternoon slum’, which was surprising given I was driving at the time (which is often quite dull). I had a late lunch which probably boosted my energy through until dinner.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – minimal stress, but then again it would be hard to be stressed on an easy Sunday.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 – Felt fine all day, nothing significant.

Comments: Sunday was easy, I had very little to do but spend time with my partner’s parents and drive home. Overall I have a positive feeling about completing the ‘transition’ period to getting used to using more fats.

Tracer is offline Member
    Monday 05 Sep 11 – Day 7 Week 2

Breakfast – Fried Zucchini, Mushrooms, Bacon, Two poached eggs and some tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Roast Steak stuffed with prosciutto, broccoli salad and a pumpkin pie for desert.

Other (Snacks) – Alot of various things – nuts, strawberries, celery, etc. Some blended cauliflower and ham after my workout.

Physical Training. Another short ‘circuit’ type activity. No rest just continual work – felt very good during and after.
    1. 5 x rounds of:
    a. 5 x Weighted Back-Squat,
    b. 5 x Bench-press,
    c. 5 x Deadlift,
    d. 5 x Shoulder Press

2. Maximum Body-Weight dips.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 7 – Energy levels were nice and high all day. I aided my mother on various ‘chores’ throughout the day and spent the afternoon cooking for a father’s day dinner. However I was constantly hungry.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 6 – minimal stress. There were some stressful situations however nothing out of the ordinary. I am noticing that I have a tendency to ‘snap’ at people – albeit only for a moment, but still it is out of the ordinary for me.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – Nothing significant. Not bad but not over the top.

Comments: I have notices that when I am concentrating I have less tolerance for people interfering with what I am doing. I cannot comment on whether this is a by product of what I am doing (with my diet) but it is out of the ordinary for me – again it could just be the parents ‘fussing’ which, I think, annoys everyone from time to time.
    I was very hungry today and felt like snacking constantly. It was very noticeable after the weekend, where I was content for several hours between meals. Perhaps I did not have enough at breakfast and it did not set me up for the day.

Tracer is offline Member
    Tuesday 06 Sep 11 – Day 8 Week 2

Breakfast – Fried Zuccini, Mushrooms, Bacon, Two poached eggs and some tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Mince patties with Roast Cauliflower, nut and mustard sauce veggies.

Other (Snacks) – A few nuts and strawberries.

Physical Training. None.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 7 – Energy levels remained constant across the day.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 5 – I had a stressful moment in the afternoon / evening however overcame it fairly quickly. I do not believe it was brought on by any physiological factors but rather an issue with my father.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – Nothing significant. Not bad but not over the top.

Comments: A fairly standard day. Energy levels were good, however I again found myself hungrier between meals than this time last week. Perhaps I am not getting enough fat at meal times? This could be an indicator that my body is nearing the completion of the transition to using fats and is therefore seeking more for energy.

Tracer is offline Member
    Wednesday 07 Sep 11 – Day 9 Week 2

Breakfast – Poached egg, mushrooms, bacon, tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Green Chicken Masala. (amazing Indian dish!). Made ‘Grok-Rocks’ for the family.

Other (Snacks) – A few nuts, strawberries and avocado. 1kg Steamed Mussels in the afternoon with the parents.

Physical Training. None.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 6 – Energy levels were good.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – No perceived stress. Felt happy all day.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 – I felt fairly good all day and felt like being overly generous (probably why I did so much cooking for everyone!).

Comments: Today was spent doing what I wanted to do and ignoring work – which was excellent. I cooked a lot, including breakfast for everyone, lunch for my mother, ‘Grok-Rock’ deserts for everyone and an afternoon buffet of Mussels. This probably ties in with why I had a very ‘stress-free’ and happy day.
    I again notices I was peckish all morning, however after lunch I did not feel as hungry. I enjoyed a fairly big salad but it had little in it (in terms of fats). I will have to try to eat more fat at breakfast to try to reduce the hunger I get roughly and hour or two after breakfast. Perhaps some avocado will help.

Tracer is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Overall I am starting to feel better. I have limited the amount of exercise this week because I feel that I need to have a fairly solid rest week, given my last three months of activity. Combining this week's low activity with last week's light activity should aid in the final transition from carbs to fats and allow my to recover properly.

Next week I will endevour to begin my strength/weight training fully and also re-introduce my cardio-vascular training (However, next week is also my last week of holidays so we shall see...). Failing this, the week after is when I return to work and get back into my 'Army Routine' - which will most certainly contain an abundance of exercise.

So far I am feeling good overall. Whilst I did start to eat 'primal/paleo' prior to the 30 day challenge it was not as strict, however I do believe it did begin the transformation as right now I believe I have finished (or near finished) the 'carb flu' - hitting the 3 week overall mark, which ties in with what the majority of information presents (IE: allow at least three weeks for the transition). I have two and a half weeks left of my stricter 30 day program to begin re-introducing physical training so I eargly await the outcomes of this. Given my naturally lean body type, good immune system, no health problems and good level of fitness I believe (at this point) I am in the camp of people who can do better with Carbs. However, I need to test performance without carbs once this 'transition' is complete to find out. Also, whilst I believe dairy will not effect me either - however again I need to wait until the end of this strict period before re-introducing dairy to find out.

I understand this progress / log is probably very similar to what everyone else is going through. I am merely recording this for my own benifit and for the possibility of one or two others who are in a similar situation to me gaining insight into what is occuring. I will endevour to continue to post smaller 'updates' such as this one in the future to provide personal insight into the log.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast