Thread: PB Exercises page

Tony DeCorte is offline Junior Member

PB Exercises

Shop Now
    I am 66 years old and do Tai Chi 4 days a week and walked moderately for 30 minutes 4 days a week. In the PB program it involves freq slow walking and heavy lifting and sprinting. Is there a modification for us senior folks who might not be able to do heavy lifting and sprinting?

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    yes and no
    Sprinting and Lift Heavy are RELATIVE to what you CAN do
    If your sprints are walking uphill and your heavy things are 5 pounds,ok, just do it.

My single biggest goal in lifting at 52 is to be capable of lifting at 72(and 92)

jomama is offline Junior Member
    did you get the free ebook.. primal fitness? (you can get it on the "get started" tab) it has different steps and levels that you can start out at if you are new to exercise or if you have limitations... (for instance i have arthritis and the deep squats are hell on my knees... so i am starting with the wall squats.. and i use a ball behind me to give me more stability..) there are videos of how to progress and perform each exercise. good luck

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Why aren't you able to do heavy lifting? Are you injured?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread12643.html

All the modifications you'll need for lifting (using your own bodyweight) can be found in the (free) PBF ebook. It has progressions to fit folks at any level of strength/fitness. Good luck!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

belinda is offline Senior Member
    My take is that sprinting is just running as fast as YOU can for no more than 30 seconds (or until you're out of breath, whichever comes first), then walking until you've got your breath back. Rinse and repeat for a total of up to 10 minutes. I'm a very sedentary person but I do a 20 minute walk every day at noon. Once or twice a week, I walk the first half and then do sprint/walk for the second half. I've never been a runner but I'm a lot better at it now than I was a couple of months ago

Lifting heavy is relative too. I started with 2.5 lb dumbbells and did lots of reps (kinda dumb but I didn't know better), now I'm up to 5lbs for some exercises and 10lbs for others. Unfortunately, I have tendonitis in my left elbow so I'm working around that for now. I hope some day to be able to do some 20 & 30 lb weights but I'm 49, I'm not going to rush it. I do have a few years left
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

The Body Carpenter is offline Junior Member
    Again some good responses here. At any age you should be incorporating strength training a couple times a week. 'Lift Heavy Things' is relative - what you are able to handle - start with one set of each of the basic exercises: squat, pushup, pullup(chinup) with assistance if need be - 10 repetitions. See where you stack up (if pushups are too difficult on the floor and on your knees) start on the wall. Just remember it's not about doing endless repetitions but making your muscles work beyond what they are accustomed to. Follow the 'Primal Blueprint Fitness' like the others have suggested - you will notice there is a lot of body weight before you are suggested to go with 'weights'. Good luck.

OptionJedi is offline Member
    There is a modification to your Tai Chi that you can use once or twice a week to turn the same exercise from "move slowly" to "lift heavy things". Actually, it won't be as intense as a high intensity (HIIT) workout like PBF defines, but it will give you some good core and lower body strength training.

The modification is to lower your stance a few inches. Doing just that makes the load on your quads, gluteus, and hamstrings significantly higher. Like a squat but within the context of tai chi movements. I practice Chen style (don't know what you do, presumably Yang style as it's most common) and I start with higher stances for a warm up, one time through the form. Then, I go lower by about 3-5 inches and it really creates a burn in my legs and I sweat a whole lot more. You may want to play with how low you go as it depends on flexibility and you don't want any knee injuries.