Thread: Carb refeeding but probably not in ketosis yet page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Carb refeeding but probably not in ketosis yet

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, I am an athlete training for an event in a month, and I just started on the primal diet. I am not sure if I am in ketosis yet, since I didn't eat that many carbs before anyway (just overindulged in fat coupled with a bit of carbs, which stimulated my appetite) I practice on Saturday mornings for two hours of sprint training, so I need to carb load for that time. I also like to participate in boot camps after work on Mondays. If I do heavy lifting on Sunday, I should be able to high-carb it on Saturday/Sunday/Monday and high-fat on the other days. However, should I restrict the carbs to just Sat/Sun? Do i need to carb in on Friday night as well since I practice on Sat mornings? On the other days, I am planning on only doing high-intensity for short periods, and/or cardio/high rep, low weight lifting/power for up to 60 minutes. Also, would it hinder my fat loss progress to do a 40 hour fast in the middle of the week? And is all this doable? Thank you in advance!

Is there an old thread that I can refer to in order to answer my question?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'm kinda confused about your schedule. It might be easier to understand if you spelled it out by day of the week (if you want specific recommendations).

Basically if you're doing anything that depletes glycogen, be sure to get some carbs if you'll be doing it again soon (or if you're doing it for longer than 15-20 minutes). For example, a weekly sprint session doesn't require carbing up, but two days of back-to-back high intensity distance rides would.

A 40 hour fast would increase your fat loss. Have you read pklopp's fasting primer thread?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You might want to move your carb window to start your carbing on Thursday if glycogen is your concern.

Thank you for your replies. Here is a simplified schedule of what is set in stone in terms of what I am doing for workouts:

Saturday: 2 hours high intensity sprints/endurance sets almost nonstop, in the morning
    Monday: 1 hour boot camp, after work

Should I carb up for Monday? I want to put heavy lifting on Sunday just so that I can get a carb refeed in one chunk of time instead of sporadically throughout the week. But I mainly just want to refill glycogen stores for Saturday morning sprint practices.

Tuesday-Friday I was going to do very low level cardio for up to an hour, high intensity for about 15 min, or power lifting for a short amount of time, all after work.

When should I place my carb refeeds and my heavy lifting days, and when can I safely throw in a 40 hour fast? I've read the fasting thread, but I just want to be sure that I can do this even because I'm unsure if I'm in ketosis.