Thread: Moving to a new city page

magnus84 is offline Member

Moving to a new city

Primal Fuel
    I am moving to a new city, I have limited income (will get better in about 2 months) and I own nothing but my clothes. One of my primary objectives is groceries. It's just me, and I have a budget of $200 the first time, but after that, it has to be much much less than that. Hard times and all that.

Given those strictures and limits, what would be your priorities? What MUST you get? Remember that the initial $200 includes plates, cutlery, pots, etc. But it's just you and no one else to worry about.

My situation is not nearly that bad, in fact I'm over-exaggerating, but the situation did get me thinking about the bare essentials during lean times.
    Not done yet...

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Plates and pots and pans and such from the Goodwill or equivalent. Check Craigslist for a deep freeze so you can stock up if something is on sale. Apply for food stamps. Cheap protein like eggs, sardines etc. Much easier if alone, I don't know how folks w/ kids do it even if not in dire circumstances.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I would just get one plate, one pot, one pan, one roasting pan, one fork, one cup from Goodwill. Every dollar counts. As Dave Ramsey would say, "Make every dollar scream." Ditto Ivy on the eggs, sardines. Add tuna and chicken drumsticks. Find the grocery store in your town that is the no-frills, you-bag-yourself store. Prices are always cheaper there. Stay away from Safeway; their prices are highway robbery. Only buy produce that's on sale. Whatever is on sale that week is what you'll be eating. Get salt, pepper, napkins, and mustard and mayo packets from the deli section of said grocery. No need to clear them out -- only take as much as you need until you shop again, or get another infusion of cash. Walk as much as possible rather than driving. Gas is expensive.

magnus84 is offline Member
    I love this. Even if you have unlimited cash, this is good sense. Thanks. Like I said, I'm only living on the edge (not food stamps bad, more college student level) for the next 2 months or so, and then back to having more cash than I actually need. Basically it's because I'm paying off some stuff now so that I don't have to worry about it later). After rent, emergency cash, and a tiny food budget (and other incidentals like gas which I've budgeted for as high as $4/gallon) it should take me 2 months to pay it off completely.
    Not done yet...