Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you eat more calories following IFing page

Primal Bill Guest

Do you eat more calories following IFing

Primal Fuel
    For those who fast for periods of 24 hours or more... do you eat more calories the days following the fast? I fasted from Sunday night to Tuesday morning. I ate light on Tuesday and Wednesday (probably 1500 calories each day). And now i think its catching up to me. I don't feel hungry, just very tired. Too tired to workout. Has anyone expierenced this?

Wander is offline Junior Member
    I do... but I'm currently deployed and don't eat a whole lot to begin with (food selection is um... sub-par).

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    It depends on a lot...

For example:

*IF* you are on very low carbs, and you are at a very low activity level, you will likely not see the symptoms you are expressing. Your body will likely be in ketosis. This means that your brain will be using ketones for energy. The glycogen stores of your liver will be low, but the ketones will make up for that. And, with a low activity level, you shouldn't see that much glycogen depletion in your muscels.

On the other hand, if you are on moderate carbs, and/or higher activity levels, your recovery from the fast will be different.

During the fast, you probably reduced the glycogen stores of your liver, and your body may not have switched over to ketone production for brain activity. This leads to lethargy. Any work outs that you may do will have reduced the glycogen stores of your muscels. This leads to poor muscle responses.

If this is what is happening, it is not so much how much you eat, as much as what you eat.

If your tired feeling is coming from reduced glycogen in your liver and/or muscels, you need to eat stuff to top off these stores again. (Or, continue with low carb, and go into ketosis).

This would mean eating good, complex carbs, and starchy vegitables: Sweet potaoes, carrots, rice.

Fruit could also help, but, be aware that fruit contains both fructose and glucouse. The fructose in the fruit is synthesized into glycogen that can only be bound for the liver. If the liver stores are full, it will go to fat. The glucose, when synthesized can be used by either the liver or the muscels.

Your complex carbs, on the other hand are all glucose. So, the carbs you eat can go to the liver, or, when that is full, the muscels. It would only be when the liver AND the muscels are full that the glucose in the carbs get stored as fat.

davem is offline Senior Member
    No, I don't.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    just very tired. Too tired to workout. Has anyone expierenced this?
    It sounds like you shouldn't fast that long and you might get more energy for your workouts if you eat a bit more cals.

I usually eat a regular size meal after a 24hr fast and I have lots of energy.

What are your current fitness/body composition goals right now?

Primal Bill Guest
    Waskydiver - Thanks for the detailed reply.

To give you some background info about myself. I started eating according to the PB 8 weeks ago. I'm 5'7. I was 167 and am now down to 156. I'm in decent shape, but i've been following CW (eating high carb diet) for so long that i've stored a lot of belly fat that i'm trying to get rid of. Since i've started i've been eating on average 100 gs of carbs a day, about 120 gs of protein, and the rest fat (to give me about 2000 calories a day). I feel great, and could skip a meal here or there and still feel great. So this past monday i fasted for the whole day. Monday i did cardio for about 30 mins, and tuesday some squats. Wednesday I did not workout, and today i started feeling very very tired in the afternoon. I think the lack of calories for the week is catching up to me. My overall goal is to get to single digit body fat (or at least have a six pack) while maintaining muscle.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Bill, you're already at a low amount of calories so eat up for a few days.

Primal Bill Guest
    I know i should probably be eating at least 2000, and closer to 2200 calories. But i'm trying to accelerate the fat loss. I've been following a very strict pb diet (low carbs from vegetables, quality protiens and fats), so i'm hoping my body has adapted to burning stored fat to make up for the low calories

Rosencrantz1 is offline Senior Member
    Bill

I've been doing a Leangains-style IF for about a month now, maybe 5 weeks? I have a 'feed' period for 8 hours, from about 1 p.m. until about 9 p.m. I'm still moving to a fully-primal diet, but was already eating few carbs, almost no sugar, no HFCS, and no packaged/processed foods, so as it stands I'm *farily* primal.

Within about a week and a half of starting IF, I had dropped from about 159lbs to about 151lbs, and I suspect that's mostly fat (plus water as my body has adjusted). I haven't been tracking calories, really, and, in fact, I think I'm eating the same or MORE than I was eating before IF. I say that because I used to have a protein shake for breakfast, and now I have that, along WITH a salad, for lunch @ 1 p.m. I snack as-needed during the afternoon - carrots, an apple, maybe a piece of cheese, and nuts. (this is the same as I did pre-IF). Dinner, I eat a fairly primal meal: some kind of animal protein, a large serving of veg, often berries with a splash of heavy cream for dessert.

All this to say: I believe, at least in my case, that 18 daily hours of fasting has helped increase my insulin sensitivity, has mobilized some stored fat, and has left me feeling pretty good. I work out fasted, in the morning, and per Leangains, have 10g BCAA both before and after my workout. I also have a cup or two of coffee, again with a tiny splash of cream or half-and-half. I found that once I settled into this routine, my energy throughout the day has mostly been really good and strong. The *only* time I feel a lag, if ever, is the hour or 90 minutes right before my fast break. This is a good 4 hours after my workout, so it's not affecting that. If I feel really hungry, I just go ahead and break my fast early. If it's not bad, I usually just wait until 1.

I'm not sure if this really answers your question, but I guess my point is: perhaps trying a different IF protocol would help you with your energy ups and downs?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do the IFing fairly often, so I do an 18 hour fast. My eating-window is 8 hours, from breakfast at 7.30 and then lunch at 1.30 pm. I don't feel hungry enough to snack or eat dinner. I feel very energetic and it hasn't affected my exercise. I don't think I could fast for more than 18 hours though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast