Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthiest U.S. populations? page

Scotty is offline Senior Member

Healthiest U.S. populations?

Primal Fuel
    What areas of the US have the overall healthiest populations?

I haven't been nearly everywhere, but just by my totally non-scientific layman personal observation of body type, Boulder, Colorado has to rank pretty high and Cleveland, Ohio must rank pretty low. We were in Boulder for a few days last week and the lack of obesity in the general population was pretty visibly low. My sometimes primal wife, who is about 15lbs overweight, remarked that she felt really fat there. We stopped in a few places on the drive back East, including Cleveland. The difference between Boulder and Cleveland was remarkable in a very bad way for Cleveland. Where I live now in the DC/Baltimore area is sort of in between. If I relocate I want it be somewhere more like Boulder. Equating obesity with general health, where else in the US are people generally really healthy? I know there was some recent press on obesity levels among the 50 states, but I am interested in personal observations.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    That is why there is a show "Hot in Cleveland" Yep, in Cleveland, I am hot and gorgeous. In California, not so much. LOL!

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I spent two months in Hattiesburg Mississippi for work over this summer... and the people there on a whole were the most unhealthy I have ever seen. Everyone seemed to be overweight if not obese, smoking was very prevalent, "All you can eat" was standard on all restaurant marques, and I could not find a single walking/jogging path.

Thank goodness for the University of Southern Mississippi ROTC obstacle course. It was my favorite place to workout during that time.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Obesity levels are linked pretty closely to poverty, actually. Find poor people, and you will find fat people. Mississippi is the most obese state.
    In your journey, you went from the most fit state in the country to the 13th most obese state.
    Obesity rates by state

Wander is offline Junior Member
    If I remember right Colorado as a whole is ranked as the healthiest state in the country.... One more reason I love Colorado... The culture pretty much forces you to be in shape.

Again based solely on personal observation of residents of DC, as opposed to the surrounding areas, I am surprised to see DC as the second most fit state/territory in the country.

Yeah but no beach in Colorado

Wander is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Yeah but no beach in Colorado

If Colorado had a beach I would probably never leave the state.

Iowa City, Iowa ranked pretty high in the last year or two as being one of the healthiest cities according to Men's Journal....eh - would rather be in Colorado.
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am a Colorado Native and I can't ever bring myself to move away! My trick is just to make/save enough money to get to the beach elsewhere periodically Get my fix then get back here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast