Thread: Experimenting with... spherification! page

davem is offline Senior Member

Experimenting with... spherification!

Shop Now
    Has anyone done so before?

I was in the shower thinking about a meal this friend of ours made... handmade raviolis filled with beet puree, in a brown butter, and gold garlic sauce.

I was looking in the cupboard and found some CaCl2, and thought hmmm.... if I were to make a beet puree, add in sodium alginate, and then pour into a CaCl2 solution - I could potentially get the same effect! (So yes, I know molecular gastronomy is passe`, and not whole foods, but this is play)

So I got to thinking about other things I could do. With methylcellulose I could turn olive oil or coconut oil into a sand... which would be very interesting for a truffle! (Powdered chili oil, anyone?)

I'm sure the novelty factor will wear off, but I'm kinda wondering where to take it.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I've seen it done on cooking shows, and think it looks amazing. I'm surprised that it works so well across a wide range of foods, and would love to eat somewhere that used it as a technique. I think its esthetically pleasing to the eye, and what a cool way to present something delicious!
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

I concur! I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow.

I figured this topic would be falling off the page into the forgotten realm.

Going to start with beets, and maybe strawberry.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I'm a total cooking show junkie, especially shows that don't cook from recipes. I remember seeing a chef make spherified apricot puree for a dessert garnish and thinking it looked absolutely divine. He also demonstrated how it worked with some other foods, and I thought that for something so simple to do, why don't chefs do it more? But of course, now I forget how its done LOL
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    You could have spheres of the sauce inside the spheres of the beet puree.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Doddibot - I have an idea of how to do that. Make one sphere, clean it, then add in more spherable fluid, and then try it.

Maybe?

It's actually pretty easy to make it - make a puree, mix in sodium alginate impregnated water, let rest and marry a little. Then make up a calcium chloride solution (CaCl2 + water), and sphere them up.