Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does falling off the wagon stall weight loss? page

MaLink is offline Member

Does falling off the wagon stall weight loss?

Primal Fuel
    I've tried to be strictly 100% primal since August 8th but this week I keep accidentally ingesting foods that I thought I understood to be primal but aren't. It's also worth noting that while my weight loss was crazy the first week (eight pounds), it slowed to three pounds last week and since last Wednesday I've been waffling between 255 and 254. I'm wondering if it's the sugar in my greek yogurt and the surprise ingredients in my jerky and the HFCS in other things that I thought weren't processed. Or maybe it's my macros? I haven't figured out how to calculate that yet.

I guess I'm just worried that I'll be an exception to the primal way of life.
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    It's hard to say as it is such a short period of time. Many lose weight more quickly at first. I lost 8 pounds my first week of primal and 8 pounds my first week of the leptin reset (after months of eating crap + gaining some weight back). After that it slowed to anywhere from 0-4 pounds a week though usually hovering at around 2.

Leptin reset wise I lost 8, 3, 2, 0 pounds in the first 4 weeks. Last week I cheated some due to my sister being in town and us taking her out a lot. I think it was more excess calories compared to the actual foods themselves (high quality chocolate, gluten free baked goods etc) that caused a 0 loss that week.

As for your hidden ingredients, they are less than optimal but an actual stall is too early to call I think. Remember 2-3 pounds a week is good loss. That is 100-150 pounds in a year.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

MaLink is offline Member
    I guess I was just hoping for a steady, consistent number, even if it was just a half of a pound. This back and forth stuff is making me crazy, especially since I'm an impatient person to begin with. D:

Quote Originally Posted by MaLink View Post
    I'm an impatient person to begin with. D:
    I feel your pain. In Catholic school I heard the 'patience is a virtue' line daily. Eventually one of the nuns said, "Yes, but it's not one he possesses." So true. As such, I have had to focus on the positives outside of the numbers on a scale - my pants are looser, I feel better, I can climb stairs without my knees/lungs yelling obscenities at me, I get to hang out at MDA with sexy primal peeps, I get to see robin getting bitched slapped in your avatar pic...all are good things. Embrace the good
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    2 to 3lbs a week is typical after that initial drop.

MaLink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I feel your pain. In Catholic school I heard the 'patience is a virtue' line daily. Eventually one of the nuns said, "Yes, but it's not one he possesses." So true. As such, I have had to focus on the positives outside of the numbers on a scale - my pants are looser, I feel better, I can climb stairs without my knees/lungs yelling obscenities at me, I get to hang out at MDA with sexy primal peeps, I get to see robin getting bitched slapped in your avatar pic...all are good things. Embrace the good
    Alright. Maybe I really should take Griff's advice from his thread and just stop looking at the scale three times a day or more. I need this change to work and I could be jinxing it by staring at the numbers all the time. Also, have you seen the full picture of my avatar? It's even funnier.

@Darth: Shiz, I could totally get behind two to three pounds a week. x( Less time and effort is win.

looking at the scale three times a day or more.
    3 times a day?! Don't make me chase you with a pointy stick. And, no, I have not seen your full avatar, though humor is always appreciated

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Why look at the scale more than once a day. I look at it first thing in the morning, but as the day goes on, the number will never go down so what is the point?

Weightloss rarely occurs on a straight line. I lost 2lbs a month for the first 5 weeks, stalled out for a month or 2, and recently lost another 10-12, which puts me about where I should probably bottom out. Don't expect tons of consistency - some people get it, but I think it is rare.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

MaLink is offline Member

This weight loss thing is actually pretty new for me, even though I'm 27 years old. I just always gained, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. I pretty much assumed all diets were irresponsible and fake and that I'd only lose weight through a miracle of will and God.

And here's the original meme pic.

Last edited by MaLink; 08-25-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    I guess I was just hoping for a steady, consistent number, even if it was just a half of a pound. This back and forth stuff is making me crazy, especially since I'm an impatient person to begin with. D:
    I hear ya. My pattern seems to be that over the course of a few days, I'll drop 2 or 3 pounds, then hold steady for a week, then drop a few more pounds fast, then steady for a week, and so on. I don't get it, but I've learned not to get alarmed when the scale doesn't move or moves back up a little. Over 4 months, I've averaged 10 lbs/month but it's definitely not a steady, smooth trajectory. Being 3 weeks in, it's hard to say what's happening, but it wouldn't hurt to track your intake for a few days and see where your fat/protein/carbs are and see if something needs to be adjusted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast