Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby ..stalled on weight loss.. page

momof8 is offline Junior Member

Newby ..stalled on weight loss..

Shop Now
    Hi. I am new to this site.. have been doing Paleo for about 4 months ( not sure what the real difference between Paleo and is other than dairy). I lost 18 lbs the first 3 weeks.. then another 2 lbs but since nothing. A little back ground info. I went GF in January . I had been very ill for 2 years from what I thought was Adreanal gland fatigue and IBS. I was desperate to be well again. After reading several books on the subject and doing a lot of research everything I saw recommended a GF diet so I decided to try it. I was amazed at how much better I felt after just one week. Better than I had in years. that only lasted a few weeks until I started getting sick again sometimes from hidden glutens and other food issues popping up, amoung them all grains and dairy.. fast forward a few months and I realized I have celiacs disease.. this led me to Paleo because it was pretty close to how I have to eat. Now I feel much better, my energy is returning and I have lost 20 lbs since going Paleo but I have stopped losing the last few months. I really need to loose about 60 more lbs. My family still eats grains and dairy. cross contamination is an issue.. I am doing what I can to keep myself safe but I still get exposed .. that causes me to gain weight over night and I am sure is a big part of the problem. I could really use some advice. here is what a typical day of meals looks likes for me
    breakfast- coffee and FF coconut milk- about a 1/3 of a can and turbonado sugar ..just started using the FF coconut milk and I am weaning myself down off the sugar.
    first meal of the day is usually around noon- eggs with bacon or steak and sliced tomatoes from the garden
    dinner- is some type of meat, and veggies..I add olive oil or coconut oil to my veggies.
    if I have snacks which is not often it is usually nuts or a smoothie made with coconut milk and fruit
    I drink lots of water and do have teas through out the day with FF coconut milk
    sometimes I have potatoes about twice a month.. I have just recently stopped eating peanuts.I have not settled into a consistent workout routine. I know this is an important piece of the puzzle
    I do take supplements but not fish oil.. my body cannot tolerate it.
    any ideas or advice would be appreciated. TIA.
    Last edited by momof8; 08-25-2011 at 07:27 AM.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    My main piece of advice would be to be patient. When your body has been sick and then you start feeding it properly, it may need to stop and repair itself. I lost weight in fits and starts.

Also, be careful with the coconut milk - those calories add up, and for some people that matters.

Lastly, move! Walk slowly or whatever, but move. It's good for your body, your brain, etc.

ETA: Make sure you're getting enough sleep, too. You also might want to check out the Leptin Reset Thread:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Sugar, fruit, nuts -- those need to go. When you say FF coconut milk, do you mean fat free? Or full fat? Coffee can mess with both your liver and your adrenal function, so that may need to go too, for now.

You could very well be leptin resistant. There are a few threads going on about that - definitely check them out.

Valentinebaby is offline Junior Member
    I don't know much about this being a newby myself but I am sure not eating until noon is not a good thing.

It will mean your body stays in a fasted state until then as it not 'reving up' and functioning and is instead storing

I would suggest you aren't actually eating enough

Quote Originally Posted by Ummmmya View Post
    Sugar, fruit, nuts -- those need to go. When you say FF coconut milk, do you mean fat free? Or full fat? Coffee can mess with both your liver and your adrenal function, so that may need to go too, for now.

You could very well be leptin resistant. There are a few threads going on about that - definitely check them out.
    oh sorry Full Fat. I was just reading a thread on leptin resistance according to the article 50 grams of protein for breakfast is what we should be having.. if that is the case. I am definitely not getting enough my first meal of the day.. . I know the sugar and when I say fruit it is usually berries. why are nuts bad? I thought they were a healthy fat. coffee is ..well hard for me not to have... I don't function well without at least one cup a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentinebaby View Post
    I don't know much about this being a newby myself but I am sure not eating until noon is not a good thing.

It will mean your body stays in a fasted state until then as it not 'reving up' and functioning and is instead storing

I would suggest you aren't actually eating enough
    I am one of those people that is not hungry first thing in the morning... liquids is about all I can get down. so I wait a few hours until I am hungry

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentinebaby View Post

There is nothing wrong with not eating until noon. It's called intermittent fasting, and many here practice it. It may not be right for people who are new to the Primal Blueprint, but it can have great benefits for many.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post
    My main piece of advice would be to be patient. When your body has been sick and then you start feeding it properly, it may need to stop and repair itself. I lost weight in fits and starts.

Also, be careful with the coconut milk - those calories add up, and for some people that matters.

Lastly, move! Walk slowly or whatever, but move. It's good for your body, your brain, etc.

ETA: Make sure you're getting enough sleep, too. You also might want to check out the Leptin Reset Thread:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html
    I keep telling myself that.. my body has been through a lot.. 9 pregnancies in 16 years, 2 were miscarriages, one was with our twins and 4-C-sections is a lot in itself. add in celiacs and the damage that has done and well it is going to take time to heal. I am trying not to get frustrated.I will keep eating on plan.. I really have no other choice if I want to be healthy . cheating is not an option for me lol.
    I know I have lost inches because I can wear clothes I could not a few months ago. I did not take my measurements so I have no idea how many inches lost but that is still that is proof of progress. I guess I am getting anxious because the scale is not moving. I am using the coconut milk to up my fat in take. years ago I went on the protein power plan and lost a huge amount of weight in a very short time.. I felt great. that was also a high fat, high protein low carb plan and it worked well for me.. I am hoping that is still the case. Granted, I was 15 years younger and did not have the health problems I do now. Yes yes I need to move and often.. I have much more energy and stamina when I exercise. sleep is another area for me.. I do what I need to to get good sleep.. pitch black room, magnesuim, calcium and tension tamer tea at bed time all help a lot. Still at times I don't get enough sleep due to little ones , my night owl of a husband and if I get exposed to gluten by accident causes me not to rest well.. hense the need for coffee that I mentioned earlier. thanks for the link I have have looking at it.. good info
    Last edited by momof8; 08-25-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by momof8 View Post
    oh sorry Full Fat. I was just reading a thread on leptin resistance according to the article 50 grams of protein for breakfast is what we should be having.. if that is the case. I am definitely not getting enough my first meal of the day.. . I know the sugar and when I say fruit it is usually berries. why are nuts bad? I thought they were a healthy fat. coffee is ..well hard for me not to have... I don't function well without at least one cup a day.
    Yep, the basics of leptin reset are min 50 g protein at breakfast (within 30 minutes of waking up), lunch around 5 hrs later, then dinner 5 hours after that, with at least 3-4 hours between dinner and bed. No snacking between meals, at all, ever. Your liver has to have the break between meals to heal.

As for the coffee, I know it's not recommended if you're going to try to fix leptin problems, and a lot of people seem to restore enough energy straightening out their hormonal issues that the need for coffee goes away. My guess is that if you "need" coffee it's because your adrenals or cortisol or both are out of whack.

Nuts aren't necessarily bad, but they are notorious for stalling weight loss. Maybe you'll be ok with them, maybe not, but since you're stalled right now, it's something to look at. Same with fruit.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am a newbie as well, but a couple of things I think could help.

B: I will sometimes add a protein powder to my morning coffee. Maybe a switch to Stevia will help ease away from the sugar.
    L: maybe greens instead of tomatoes (nothing wrong with tomatoes, but for weight loss greens have less carb-you could toss a handful of spinach onto your eggs) maybe a half or quarter of an avocado
    D: sounds simple and reasonable-I try to cook as simply as possible-I find my weight comes off easier that way
    Snacks: I think the issue with nuts is that they tend to stall many people's weight loss progress.

I think it is just a matter of tweeking until you get to what works for you.

regarding movement...I just started doing a 30 minute walk, but you should do whatever you can get away and do. Also you may consider that many gyms offer free babysitting, when mine were little I couldn't wait to get to the gym so I could have my 2 hours to myself (I was a SAHM), and felt like the 2 hours a day babysitting would have cost more than the gym membership.

Good Luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast