Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Horror Stories page 3

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Well I mostly stayed primal today EXCEPT I ate THREE gingerbread cookies. I love gingerbread and have been thinking about it all month or maybe longer... a friend made some from scratch and they were GREAT so I indulged. Much better than making a batch and eating half of it, too. haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm pretty proud of myself. I stuck to my Primal treats, though I did eat A LOT OF THEM.

I did discover my body doesn't really like dairy, even if it is goat milk or organic eggnog. Oh well. There's still cheese.

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

Worst part of this holiday season for me had nothing to do with "cheating." I tried people's desert concoctions in moderation.

My problem has to do with argumentative family members. I was planning on not talking anything PB or low-carb related tonight at the two parties I attended with my family but...

At the first party, one of my sort-of-cousins (not really sure how she's related to me if at all) points out that I look like I've lost a lot of weight. I thank her and she asks me how I did it. I tell her some of the PB basics (no grain, low carb, eating real foods/fats/oils) and she promptly predicts that I will gain it all back. Kind of taken aback, I ask her how she's reached this conclusion. She tells me she knows a person who tried it (I'm assuming she means an Atkins-esque diet) and then gained it all back after she stopped. I told her it's BECAUSE she stopped. She continued on telling me that what I was doing was wrong.... I don't remember much of the rest of the conversation but I remember that I brought up how it's based on evolutionary science etc and made a joke about maybe she doesn't believe what I'm telling her because she thinks the world is 6000 years old. Then I remembered that we had previously had an argument about religion at another family get-together. She doesn't believe in evolution and does think the world is 6000 years old. (No offense to any holders of this belief.) The conversation went nowhere and got me all riled up when I had planned to keep the PB out of conversations for the night. (I love what the PB has done for me and having a large amount of overweight and obese family members, I bring it or some of its tenets up when a chance presents itself. I get into lengthy discussions that always end in an "agree to disagree" type of deal... so I wanted to avoid that tonight.)

I should mention that she is probably about 5'5" and easily 200+ lbs and only getting heavier but apparently she's a nutritional expert now!

At the next party, ended up getting into a discussion about cardio and carbs with a cousin who is addicted to chronic cardio and another cousin who is addicted to bread, pasta, and rice. The cardio cousin seemed to take everything offensively even though I tread carefully so as not to offend. Can't win!

(Also got told that my IF schedule slows down my metabolism at this party.)

Anyway, got some great cooking gear for Christmas and will be using it to further my personal goals. I've learned, without a doubt, that no one else needs to know about how I'm losing weight and changing my life and, from now on, I will avoid health and nutrition discussions at whatever the cost.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP LONG POST

stevehtcyl is offline Member

I GORGED. Today was definitely a cheat day and if I consumed less that 5000 calories I would be very surprised! Ate turkey with all the trimmings, oatcakes, rye bread, lots of cheese, sweets, candies, butter biscuits, crackers, salmon, fudge, stuffing, whiskey, red wine, some carribean liquer, champagne. Yeah what a day, totally awesome, no regrets, lots of laughs, new friends made.

Going to do an IF day as normally I do friday's but just wasn't happening yesterday, then back to primal. Turned a few heads after maintaining my 6pack after all that food. It wasn't so much separate meals as it was a 10 hour long feast.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Oh lordy, the christmas puddings (yup - plural!) have hit, along with white sauces, trifle....

On the plus side, traditional turkey dinner is mostly primal friendly, and being a "help yourself" affair I could take one spud and lots of sprouts, instead of the normal way around!

We have guests though, and a family birthday too, so I'll "take the hit" rather than be seen refusing hospitality. Damage limitation being dodging breakfast (toast or cereal) and trying to minimise chocolate!

Got a game cookbook from a friend though, so looking forward to that!

Good luck everyone - at least we have the option of refusing, others aren't so lucky

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I enjoyed my Christmas immensely. After a lunch of turkey with papaya chutney and a few cookies, I got my family (hubby and both adult kids) to take a hike with me at Annadel State Park. Ended up in a photo-finish sprint to the car with my 18 year old daughter.

Then I had some more turkey and cookies when we got home. I feel great this morning.

Paneristi is offline Member

Major Cheating horror story here in Hong Kong !!

Cranberry Sauce with the turkey

Steamed Christmas Pudding with English Clotted Cream

made by ( my mum 75 years young )who flew all the way from Heathrow clutching it in her carry on so couldn't possibly refuse ist and it was delicious as always along with her Christmas Fruit Cake with Almond marzipan and icing sugar...a family tradition

About a dozen Quality Street chocolates (I focused on the blue wrapped coconut ones !)

Fasting tomorrow LOL

Annika is offline Senior Member

This has been more like Cheat Week for me. At work, I had pizza two days in a row (free lunch from one of the docs), plus a bunch of crackers with various spreads, plus some outrageous chocolate cake. My mom, sister and nephew came to my house on Christmas Eve and it was downhill from there: Christmas cookies, chocolates, pancakes on Christmas morning, stuffing, pumpkin pie. It has tasted great, and I am appreciative of all the goodies, but I can feel the difference - I feel and look bloated, and my energy level is way down. I have no one to blame but myself; it wouldn't have been very difficult to stay a lot more Primal, but..... it's Christmas! My family will be leaving tomorrow, and I will do my best to get back on track.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

twa2w is online now Senior Member

If you want to avoid the discussions around diet :-)

When they say you've lost weight or your looking fit and ask why, just say ' Oh I've been watching what I eat" they assume you've been watching calories/fat, and if they question why you are having 'steak' or whatever just say ' Oh today's a cheat day' or 'its a special day today'" It covers you whether you are eating crap or eating primal/paleo.

Cheers

J

Daisygg is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

twa is on to something for certain. My favorite thing to say lately is, "I'm moving more and eating less. Who knew"? That usually gets a big laugh.

But I've had a week a week a week. I'm feeling a bit of the "ick" and have a slight headache.

I want to jump on this train full time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast