Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnips page

kiss is offline Senior Member

Turnips

Primal Fuel
    I bought some turnips on a whim and now I don't know what to do with them except to google turnip recipes. Anyone have a favorite way to prepare them?
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    They add a subtle flavor when used as aromatics in broths or stocks. I actually have some as of now waiting for that exact use.

Otherwise, you can use them as a starchy vegetable, though not as starchy as potatoes. Try steaming and mashing with some butter, or chopping with some other robust veggies and doing a roast.

Yesterday, I put one through the julienne setting on my mandolin and pan fried it until it was flexible: fast noodle replacement.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I think turnips are superb mashed with butter and fresh ground pepper.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

UVaddict is offline Junior Member
    I like turnips grated up, sauteed in butter/bacon fat/coconut oil/whatever your preference, with cabbage, bell peppers, a little salt, cayenne, lime juice and poached eggs on the side. Its my version of primal hash, everything I eat is spicy and tangy.

There's a recipe on here for regular primal hash. Good stuff...

KatyNC is offline Senior Member
    Like scotchncoffee suggested, I put mine in a roast. I made short ribs in a slow cooker the other day with chunks of turnips, carrots, celery and onion. i made some mashed cauliflower and put it over that. It was amazing, with lots of leftovers to take to work for lunch! Turnips are yummy!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Treat it like a tater: hashbrowns, mashed, french fries, use in a roast or stew...
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I go with Tangentrider. Delicious just stewed in butter -add chopped herbs (parsley, dill or tarragon - only one).

Also lovely if you fry bacon, then add thinly sliced turnips and cook until tender, and finally add some thinly sliced mushrooms that have been cooked in butter in another frying pan. A tiny splash of cream to bering it all together - and as a side dish it is magnificent, though good enough to serve as a first course.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I made a turnip mash to serve with bacon covered meatloaf and greenbeans. I wasn't really crazy about it, but my husband loved it. I also had quite a time trying to mash them. They seemed very soft, but I couldn't get the masher to do the job. It just kind of squashed them and a lot of water came out. So I pulled out my hand mixer and had turnip bits flying all over the kitchen. At that point I put them in a casserole dish and put them in the oven with some butter and a little cream while the meatloaf was baking. Once I took them out I used a fork to smoosh them up some more. I found they were quite sweet and I'm not much on sweet stuff.

I'm sure I'll try them again and your suggestions here sound really yummy.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I used them instead of a daikon radish to make an Asian radish/turnip cake- steamed, then pan-fried.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Core it with an apple corer, plug the bottom of the hole with part of the core, stuff a couple of whole garlic cloves in and plug the top.
    Bake it for half an hour or more until soft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast