Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get my butt back into gear!? page

PoeticPixe is offline Member

How do I get my butt back into gear!?

I've been primal/paleo since March. I'm pretty much fully primal (normally). I do have a meal every once in a while that's not acceptable. Eating out is usually my splurge meal, about once a month. My problem presently is this. I went on vacation August 5th to visit family back in Connecticut and Pennsylvania. It was a total of 10-11 days. I stayed as primal as I could at first, but staying with family that is not anywhere near primal wore on me after a bit. I also didn't want to seem ungracious, pertaining to their meal offerings. I did bring some of my own food items, such as trail mix and canned tuna. So I didn't totally go off the deep end. However, since about August 16th (which is since I've been home), I can't seem to stick to my usual way of eating.

I'll be good to go for the whole first half of the day, eating perfectly primal. However, after I get home from my college night classes, and put the kids to bed, all hell breaks loose. I'm usually starving by then, and I know that's part of the problem. I'll just reach for whatever is convenient, not having the energy to cook that late. The past couple nights I've even reached for crap like Oreos!! Which are utterly horrible for anyone. Other nights it's been no-sugar added ice cream, I don't do dairy normally either. I just can't seem to get back into the swing of things, since I got back. I feel it might be due to my perfectionist, all or nothing attitude. Though I don't feel particularly guilty over "falling of the wagon." I do hate that term, as I don't consider this a "diet." I'm just not sure what's going on here....How do I get my butt back into gear? I apologize if I come across as whiny, but I do truly need advice. Any tips/advice from you pros?
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Just plan ahead, you can't be caught off guard that way. Whatever you were doing prior to your trip is basically what you need to do again.

I went to Peru last year for two weeks to visit family. I didn't consider my time there as "falling of the wagon" and I enjoyed myself thoroughly, upon my return I just did as I was prior to leaving and within a few weeks my weight stabilized (I gained during the trip) and everything was back to normal.

"Luck favors the prepared mind" some annoying professor used to write on our tests, meaning if you studied, you'll be just fine. In your case, all you seem to need to do is have some food ready to eat, get to it.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I totally agree with the above post. Planning and having good Primal food options ready to eat is key. Cook up a big batch of meat on the weekend (or whenever you can find time. Keep enough in the fridge for the next few days and freeze the rest. Do the same with some veggies (or just buy some frozen; they cook in no time).

Crockpot roast beef is a super-simple option and will provide good eats for days.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post

"Luck favors the prepared mind" some annoying professor used to write on our tests, meaning if you studied, you'll be just fine. In your case, all you seem to need to do is have some food ready to eat, get to it.
    I think I just need to get to it! Getting my head back in the game is the first step. Preparing is key too. I like your advice as well, Yodie. Maybe I can grill up a bunch of meat on Sunday, which will get me through. Thanks so much, both of you.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

rki
    rki is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend, always ALWAYS having Primal snacks on hand, and (even better) an instant Primal meal for a real emergency.

I have almonds, fresh veggies, some avocado (add salsa and a little salt, eat with spoon), olives and the best jerky I can find. I am someday hoping to develop a taste for canned sardines, because it's sounds like such a good healthy and convenient snack . . . but that hasn't quite happened yet.

For my insta-Primal meal, I actually make extra soup every time I make a Primal soup, and then I stick some in ziplock bags, and freeze them. Then when I'm just too tired to cook, I'll re-heat and eat.

I know what you're going through--that, end-of-the-day-just-get-me-something-to-eat time. It's rough. I'm still struggling with it. And the best bit of advice I got was from my husband, who tactfully said, "Well, genius, if it's a choice between your Primal food and cookies, and you don't like your Primal food, you're gonna eat the cookies. You have to find Primal foods you really like."

Best darn dieting advice I ever got.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I went on a cruise back in July. For that entire week I had several meals and foods that were not primal. Since being back, I have been a little looser with my eating. However, I have slowly tightened it up over the last few weeks. Just don't stress over it. You won't die, and you won't suddenly gain 20 pounds. Just try to do your best, and make sure to enjoy life and what you eat.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Hey John, been curious about that, on a cruise, can you say... "Excuse me sir, but I uh... don't eat the items on this list."
    Or will they just toss you off the lido deck?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Since being back, I have been a little looser with my eating.
    @John, this is what I'm saying! Haha. I love the way you stated it. I think it will just take time and planning. I promise I won't stress over it. 0=)
    @Rki, the soup idea is a keeper..thanks. =)
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Getting caught "off guard" was common for me as I was making the "switch" to Primal. I would be fine and happy about how I was cutting out the grains and processed crap food and not really having a problem with appetite or cravings and then I'd hit a point in the day where WHAM! I'd be hungry almost instantly and ready to eat anything. If I didn't have any good Primal foods with me and there were crap option available (often as tons of my co-workers have candy, cookies, muffins, chips, pretzels, etc. out for people to share/snack on) I would indulge in those.

I started taking MORE food (good Primal stuff) with me to work than I ever thought I could eat until it was time to go home. That way when the WHAM! came, I was prepared for it. Whatever I didn't eat, I'd leave at work in the frig and then the next day I would bring in enough to "stock up" so that I would have again more than I would need for the day, making sure to eat the older food first.

After awhile, my patterns evened out and I can much more accurately predict what I'll need to bring each day -- and if I do mess up a little and get a little bit hungry (I don't get the WHAMs! anymore) I am able to do ok with just waiting (the crap my co-workers have out now doesn't even seem appealing -- I feel like even if I ate them, they wouldn't satisfy anyway, which makes it easier to walk by...but I'm convinced that takes time to develop) until I go home and have something good and Primal. That wasn't always the case, so it was good from me to have that extra until my appetite kind of "switched over".

Hope that all makes sense.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was actually looking forward to getting back to regular habits. I mean, I had a blast eating whatever the hell I wanted and I dove in with full force, but after a while I was ready for just my regular fare I guess. Even though in Peru my biggest offenders were just local beers and local sodas which I still diluted with water, and some bread/ice cream here and there. It's actually very easy to be paleo in Peru.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast