Thread: Coconut "Spread" page

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member

Coconut "Spread"

Primal Fuel
    On my last trip to Whole Foods I was in the cold section to grab a small container of coconut milk for a recipe I wanted to try ... I saw a product that caught my eye ... at first.
    Earth Balance has come out with an organic Coconut Spread. I love my coconut so I picked up a container to check the ingredients.
    "Tropical oil blend (extra virgin coconut, palm oil and coconut oils) canola oil, filtered water, contains less than 2% of salt, natural flavor, sunflower lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy).

Needless to say, this won't be a coconut product in my house ! Appears that there are a lot of manufacturers jumping on the coconut cart now, trying to perfect a natural food that needs no adulteration !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of new salad dressings out calling themselves "Olive Oil (Caesar/Balsamic/etc)" but if you check the ingredients it's a mix of olive and sunflower, etc.

Yeah...they're moving along in the marketing process.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Not to justify the ingredients, but when you look at the price of say pure coconut butter @ $12 for 16oz you have to figure they are aiming at a price point for the "spread" that casual shoppers are willing to pay.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I see those in the Asian supermarket, the ingredients are pretty much margerine with coconut flavour..
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Not to justify the ingredients, but when you look at the price of say pure coconut butter @ $12 for 16oz you have to figure they are aiming at a price point for the "spread" that casual shoppers are willing to pay.
    Likely so ... and especially since most casual shoppers would not bother to make coconut butter at home for very little cost and minimal time. Sadly for most, they are willing to grab the newest thing on the shelves, esp. if it states that it's organic or heart-healthy, or what ever the buzz word may be at that time.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    And Whole Foods are no better than the others. Promoting/selling it. Kinda contradicting of them if ya ask me!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    My grocery store sells PurOliva oil. Sure it's pure. 50/50 blend of olive oil and canola oil. Sheesh!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    And Whole Foods are no better than the others. Promoting/selling it. Kinda contradicting of them if ya ask me!
    The middle aisles of WF are no different than any other grocery store except their crap is more expensive.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There are 'coconut bars' in the 'health food shop' over here now. 50% coconut, 50% rice syrup. Yay.