Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running: the gold standard? page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Running: the gold standard?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It seems that running is vaunted as the gold standard of fitness exercise in our culture.

Why?

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Steve Prefontaine created a cult of personality...?

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Because the barriers to entry are so easily vaulted. Go buy a pair of shoes and run. No equipment necessary. Unlike cycling or god forbid, triathlon, it does not take a large sum to get started. And, you can pretty much run ANYWHERE. You can't just walk out your door and swim. Basically, its available to anyone at anytime and that's why it is glamorized. However, running is quite different than running fast. There is a pretty simple and easy path from walking to jogging to running to running fast and/or long.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    My gold standard is how much weight you can deadlift in relation to your bodyweight. A 3xBW deadlift is just as (if not more) impressive than a 4 minute mile to me.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    My gold standard is how much weight you can deadlift in relation to your bodyweight. A 3xBW deadlift is just as (if not more) impressive than a 4 minute mile to me.
    Ever run a 4:00 mile? Not saying a 3XBW DL is not extremely impressive, just a completely different muscle recruitment action. Each is at the opposing end of a spectrum (speed vs power). I'm wondering what exists at the cross roads of the two extremes?

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    I get the low transaction cost part of it, but it also seems like there's this moral superiority/smugness to runners.

Like they're somehow better than people who don't run.

Bobbitt81 - You need to start hanging out with ultra-runners. Probaly the nicest and most laid back group of athletes you will come accross. Same goes for mountain bikers. Althought usually the mtb croud is so mellow because they are stoned on killer green buds

I know what you mean, some runners just want to talk about how fast they are and how many dreams they crushed at the local 10k last weekend. There are those in every sport though. I know a lot of Crossfit goons who feel so superior to all other athletes is sad. Throw them in a pool and watch them sink!

davem is offline Senior Member
    how else are you going to get away from a cop?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Ever run a 4:00 mile? Not saying a 3XBW DL is not extremely impressive, just a completely different muscle recruitment action. Each is at the opposing end of a spectrum (speed vs power). I'm wondering what exists at the cross roads of the two extremes?
    Nope, note even close. I'm also not even really close to a 3xBW deadlift. That's why I see BOTH of those achievements as gold standards. Only a small percentage of the population will ever achieve either. That's why I said that I feel that the deadlift is AS impressive (maybe slightly more to me) than a 4 minute mile.

I agree that they express different attributes of fitness. I'm not sure what would be in the middle. Maybe something like rowing that measures power output over time.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    @yodiewan and Karma: I'm not impressed by a 4:00 mile. Sorry, but 99% of that is genetics. No matter how much I train, even a 6:00 mile is out of reach.

3xBW deadlift is not out of the reach of you if you train really hard and really consistently. Not saying it's easy or doable for everyone, but I believe a 500 lb deadlift is doable for me, and that's not far off 3xbw. I've got a ways to go before I get there, but I believe it's a realistic goal. And I'm not genetically gifted in strength.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast