Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to store coconut milk?! page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

How to store coconut milk?!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I only buy organic coconut milk which means it doesn`t contain any chemicals that prevents the fat from separating. It usually comes in 400 ml cans and I only need about 1/4 at a time. That means I have to store an open can. At room temperature it gets sour so I store it in the fridge. After some hours I have a can full of water with a brick solid mass of fat on top. It is so firm I cannot mix it with the water so I either have to take it out of the fridge hours before I use it (which I don`t do for I don`t know hours before what I am going to eat in some hours) or throw it away (what a waste, but that is what it comes to)...So please, tell me the secret how to store the stuff!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I put it in jars, like the type that dip comes in to avoid any nasties from the can - after I've opened a can, obviously. I store them at room temp in the can prior to that. In the mornings I take out the jar, make sure it's closed nicely and place it in hot water for a few and mix it with a spoon. It need not get warm in my experience, just enough to loosen. I'm not sure if this affects the properties of if, chemically or whatever, but the taste and freshness remain. I usually go through about 2 cans per week. I actually am due to receive my first ever shipment of Native Forest coconut milk from amazon. 12 cans/month but I plan on keeping some at work. If it turns out I don't use as much I'll switch to 12 cans every two month delivery instead. It does have some guar gum, but it still separates. It's organic, and I'm not overly concerned about guar gum anyway.

(look into it if you're in the US, they offer free shipping and the price per can is lower than it would be, at least for me shopping at Whole Foods for the same brand)

croí is offline Senior Member
    I keep mine in a rubbermaid container in the fridge, although I'll prolly switch to jars for fear of BPA. I make sure I stir it up real good before I put it in the fridge, and when I pull it out, it's kind of like a paste which is ok for me.

Tiki is offline Junior Member
    I freeze the portions I don't use right away. It freezes well, and the frozen coconut milk can be added to soups as is or defrosted for other uses.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Like iniQuity said, just warm it up a little via your method of choice. The hard part that rises is just the fat (like cream used to rise in milk before they started homogenizing it).

@iniQuity: Dip cans? You mean like salsa/cheese dip? The first thing that came to my mind was tobacco dip, but that would be incredibly gross.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Like iniQuity said, just warm it up a little via your method of choice. The hard part that rises is just the fat (like cream used to rise in milk before they started homogenizing it).

@iniQuity: Dip cans? You mean like salsa/cheese dip? The first thing that came to my mind was tobacco dip, but that would be incredibly gross.
    Yes, casa de iniQuity is partial to Tostitos brand.

Knarf is offline Junior Member
    Unused into a glass jar, and into the fridge, shake it up when ready to use...

davem is offline Senior Member
    I'd mix a little of my agar into it, or xantham gum to keep it stable. Or, I'd cut a little lump of fat and use some of the liquid.
    Or, I'd heat a little water on the stove and set the can in it. Or, I'd use a microwave (haven't had one in 3 years) and warm it a little.

So your choice is either stabilize it, or warm it.

Why would you throw it out? That stuff ain't cheap, and wasting food is pretty bad considering.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

primalblonde is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    @iniquity: Dip cans? You mean like salsa/cheese dip? The first thing that came to my mind was tobacco dip, but that would be incredibly gross.
    lol

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member
    Count me in the freezing camp. I freeze 4oz portions and keep them in a freezer bag for later use.

-adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast