Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fastest ways to flatten the gut? page

jpatrickclark is offline Member

Fastest ways to flatten the gut?

Primal Fuel
    I only have one real problem area. I am a slim guy but the one area where I am still seeing some fat after a year of regular trips to the gym is in my gut, love handle to love handle. I know this is a very common area to retain fat and also one of the most difficult areas from which to lose fat. For those others who have had this issue in the past, what did you find to be the best and fastest ways to finally flatten your gut?

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    For me it came with cutting out all grains. Not even cheating. Slowly but surely the belly fat has gone away.

Exercising tones up the underlying muscle.

All grains as in breads and cereals, etc?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Patience, and time.

- uphill sprints once weekly (at the very least, but wouldn't advice doing it more than that either, just make sure you go real hard once a week)
    - strength train hard at least once a week as well (sorry y'all, I'm migrating to the BBS school of thought)
    - keep your carb intake moderate. Don't be afraid of them, but "use" them for the days you do HARD WORKOUTS. ie: your sprint and lifting days. All other times, keep it relatively low carb.

The rest are "maybe this also helps" stuff, but some of it is highly debated around here, we kinda like to fight:

- use coconut products: oil and milk are what I use. The belief is that the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) help burn body fat, though I'm not sure how. I mostly consume coconut milk instead of dairy cream, I would say I have noticed a difference.
    - intermittent fasting: I skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner. Sometimes, I skip breakfast AND lunch and only eat dinner (or two dinners) the point is to be in a fasted state longer than you are not. I would advise only doing this after you've been primal for a few good weeks, and also preferably if you're lower-carb as reduced insulin sensitivity makes hunger a thing of the past, essentially making fasting pretty darn easy.

That's all I got for now. Patience and time though, you should have plenty of both in your diet.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatrickclark View Post
    All grains as in breads and cereals, etc?
    Yes, anything flour based comes from grains.

I went on the assumption that you're already doing a primal diet, it seems that you need to do a bit more reading on some of it.

Oh yeah, I forgot in my post above: Eat mostly meat and vegetables. I personally don't care for nuts and seeds, and I don't eat too much fruit. If you prioritize meat and vegetables at every meal I don't see how you could fail.

Forget the dinner rolls, eat more vegetables.

You're right. I admit I've only recently heard of Primal. I will definitely read up on it though. Thanks for the advice. I don't really have a lot to lose. It's just enough to keep my abs hidden which is really frustrating considering how hard I've worked to build my abs and how much I look forward to seeing all of them.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'd echo what has already been said re: dietary changes and also add that you should pay attention to your pelvic tilt during exercises and 'generally'. It's pretty easy to have a distended lower abdomen, even at low bodyfat.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You'll want to make sure that you're getting plenty of protein, not over do the fat and maybe carb/calorie cycle as well.

I do believe that, for me, it is a dietary issue. I'm trying to concentrate on eating healthier now, but I know I still have work to do to focus on the right foods. I will read more about the Primal diet and try to begin including that into my daily routine. I feel good about my workout routine in general. So now it's just a matter of getting my diet on the right path. Thanks again for the great advice.

akm3 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The answer is 'suck in your gut' and I'm not being snarky. If you are already doing everything to burn bodyfat, then doing stomach vaccuums (an exercise where you suck your stomach in like you want your belly button to go through your spin) and hold it, many times a day, you build the girdle of muscles that hold everything in. As you get used to doing this, the muscles themselves take that as a more natural position and voila you have a flatter gut.

Not kidding.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast