Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Natural Heavy Whipping Cream - Are Jersey cows grassfed? page

primalblonde is offline Member

Question All Natural Heavy Whipping Cream - Are Jersey cows grassfed?

Shop Now
    I got to try some grassfed heavy whipping cream when I was out of town recently and LOVED it! Sadly, I don't think I have access to grassfed here. I've even checked the local farm market & all they have is raw milk.

Promised Land

I saw this brand at The Fresh Market and was curious about Jersey cows. I know there's carageenan in it, but I don't see that as a big enough deal to keep me from adding the deliciousness to my coffee. Are Jersey cows grassfed?? If not, is this brand a good (not the best) choice for Primal? (I mean to not be part of my 80/20)

Is this brand better, since it's organic? They're both ultrapasteurized, but Mark's wife drinks this one, so maybe it's okay. lol

Organic Heavy Whipping Cream | Horizon
    Last edited by primalblonde; 08-24-2011 at 09:16 AM.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Jersey cows may or may not be grass fed. Depends on who's keeping them.

I get Whole Foods brand - no crap in it.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post

Exactly--"Jersey" is only a reference to the breed of cow, same as Guernsey, Holstein, etc. It says nothing at all about how the cows are cared for or the quality of the milk produced.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If it helps, Trader Joe's sells pure pasteurized cream for $2.49/pint. That's a good price as it is and the only ingredient is "cream". I doubt it's grassfed, but it's pasteurized, not ultrapasteurized, so it doesn't have that "burnt" taste of the normal stuff you get in the grocery store that has to be thickened with carrageenan because the high heat breaks it down so much. I think it's really good and I've whipped it into cultured butter myself.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH2Ogirl View Post

Oh, I see. Well, of course you do, lol But the closest Whole Foods is 2 and a half hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
    Exactly--"Jersey" is only a reference to the breed of cow, same as Guernsey, Holstein, etc. It says nothing at all about how the cows are cared for or the quality of the milk produced.
    Ohh. Well, man. That sucks. I guess I could email them and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If it helps, Trader Joe's sells pure pasteurized cream for $2.49/pint. That's a good price as it is and the only ingredient is "cream". I doubt it's grassfed, but it's pasteurized, not ultrapasteurized, so it doesn't have that "burnt" taste of the normal stuff you get in the grocery store that has to be thickened with carrageenan because the high heat breaks it down so much. I think it's really good and I've whipped it into cultured butter myself.
    *sigh* If only I had a Trader Joe's...the closest one is five hours away. I went to one in California and fell in love. Then I met Whole Foods...and was never the same. LOL

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalblonde View Post
    *sigh* If only I had a Trader Joe's...the closest one is five hours away. I went to one in California and fell in love. Then I met Whole Foods...and was never the same. LOL
    I know the feeling. Every time I walk into Trader Joe's I spend at least twice what I wanted to spend. Last week, I went in to buy a pound of salmon and walked out with a pound of Coho salmon, a pound of Sockeye salmon (which was the BEST salmon I've ever had in my life), a can of pink salmon and anchovies. Their unsweetened kefir is great, their heavy whipping cream is the best I've found, they sell almond meal for $3.99/lb (which is incredible), their raw nuts selection is great and reasonably priced...I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, their premade foods are HORRENDOUS - TJ's buys into the whole "arterycloggingsaturatedfat" thing and puts canola oil in just about EVERYTHING, so stay away from the premade stuff. I bought brown rice tortillas from there once because I was dying for a wrap, and there is safflower oil in them. I ate it anyway, but just be aware. Even so, it's still a great store and I've been buying more and more stuff from them. I just wish they'd start carrying raw milk.

Now Whole Foods...that's just too damn expensive for me! Whoa.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked out this site to see if you live near a farm that sells raw milk?

Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

I have one only 20 miles away and we go up there every Saturday and get raw milk and raw cream. It is heavenly stuff!!!!

BTW Jersey cows have a higher butter fat content in their milk than holsteins and that makes for really nice creamy milk and thick cream. I got a really comprehensive cow lesson from the famer I buy the milk from. But, you have to ask what they are fed. Any breed can be grass-fed and that is what you primarily want. The bonus with grass-fed Jerseys is the high butter fat content of the milk and cream.
    Last edited by pdovers; 08-24-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I know the feeling. Every time I walk into Trader Joe's I spend at least twice what I wanted to spend. Last week, I went in to buy a pound of salmon and walked out with a pound of Coho salmon, a pound of Sockeye salmon (which was the BEST salmon I've ever had in my life), a can of pink salmon and anchovies. Their unsweetened kefir is great, their heavy whipping cream is the best I've found, they sell almond meal for $3.99/lb (which is incredible), their raw nuts selection is great and reasonably priced...I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong, their premade foods are HORRENDOUS - TJ's buys into the whole "arterycloggingsaturatedfat" thing and puts canola oil in just about EVERYTHING, so stay away from the premade stuff. I bought brown rice tortillas from there once because I was dying for a wrap, and there is safflower oil in them. I ate it anyway, but just be aware. Even so, it's still a great store and I've been buying more and more stuff from them. I just wish they'd start carrying raw milk.

Now Whole Foods...that's just too damn expensive for me! Whoa.
    Yeah, Trader Joe's is awesome. And omgosh, all that stuff sounds amazinggg! As for Whole Foods being expensive, I think it can be, but for someone who has to go to the health food store to get grassfed beef from a local farm, the prices weren't as bad. I thought it was AWESOME that almost everything in their meat department was grassfed & almost all the cheeses were raw milk- I was in HEAVEN! Aaaahh, I want a TJ and Whole Foods, man!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast