Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbs and Brain Health page

Johngarnet is offline Junior Member

Carbs and Brain Health

Primal Fuel
    I just read an article from Digestive Health arguing that proper brain function requires at least 130 grams of carbs per day-as an absolute minimum-I have never seen this "fact?" before-comments?????

Wander is offline Junior Member
    I can't comment from a medical point of view but I have been eating 10-40 carbs a day for the past three months and I'm still functioning...

Einz is offline Member
    I'd believe it, anything under 100 is probably dangerous for most people. Just make sure you are eating the good carbs - Fruits, Veggies (potatoes), those kind of things. Do not listen to the low carb freaks around here... It is just not healthy.

alevin is offline Junior Member
    My brain feels BETTER after a couple of weeks of low-carbin' it. It feels like a fog has lifted. Keep in mind your brain can happily use ketones for fuel, but if your body isn't used to low carb it does take time for your body to adjust. There is no way Grok got 130 g carbs consistently every day, that's part of why our metabolic processes are so complex. If you're already lean and your metabolism is strong, 130 falls within the maintenance range, but idk.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Your body easily converts protein in to carbs as needed. Don't listen to the "high-carb" freaks.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    The following comes from Dr. Eades blog if you're interested in the whole fat and protein converted in the liver to glucose thing:
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Ľ Metabolism and ketosis

If, instead of starving, youíre following a low-carb diet, it gets even better. The protein you eat is converted to glucose instead of the protein in your muscles. If you keep the carbs low enough so that the liver still has to make some sugar, then you will be in fat-burning mode while maintaining your muscle mass, the best of all worlds. How low is low enough? Well, when the ketosis process is humming along nicely and the brain and other tissues have converted to ketones for fuel, the requirement for glucose drops to about 120-130 gm per day. If you keep your carbs below that at, say, 60 grams per day, youíre liver will have to produce at least 60-70 grams of glucose to make up the deficit, so you will generate ketones that entire time.

So, on a low-carb diet you can feast and starve all at the same time. Is it any wonder itís so effective for weight loss?
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I've been on both sides. Very VERY low carb, zero carb basically, and eating all the primal carbs in the world at all times.

Honestly? I can't say with certainty which felt "better" I just know that I personally enjoy my life more with carbs around. The food possibilities are greatly amplified (what? there are foods outside of meat and eggs? holy shit!) and I'm just a fiend for all types of potatoes and feel rather foolish that I went without them for so long.

Interested in zero carb lit? this is a most excellent piece that got me started: Stefansson 1 - Eskimos Prove An All Meat Diet Provides Excellent Health. it's a little lengthy, but worth it.

My two cents: Both lifestyles "work", both are safe (remember I'm talking PRIMAL carbs, real food sources, not fake shit), you can successfully lose weight/build muscle/learn to fly on either. The question is then: which one will you actually be able to live with? For me, that's a diet that includes moderate amounts of carbs whenever I feel like it. Also for the record, my weight has fluctuated between 148-156lbs for the past year, so carbs make little difference for me as far as putting on weight or losing it. I haven't yet tried to "strategically" eat carbs in order to lose body fat, but reading through how it works and seeing the evidence here by some posters I'm confident that it works. I'm just too lazy to plan ahead and actually do it.

Edit: Also, when it comes to brain health, or articles that the body prefers carbohydrates/glucose as a fuel source I fully believe it. This is my as of yet un-researched theory, actually I'm sure everybody either knows this or its been thoroughly documented, but here it is: The body looks upon stored body fat as a precious source of energy. This is why we're so good at getting really fat, our bodies LOVE to store energy. It does NOT want to let go of its energy stores, so it probably does "prefer" glucose because it can then keep holding on to its fat stores for whenever the need arises. Remember that your body isn't conscious of your weight loss efforts, it's blind and deaf, it only knows that it's either going to have to use fatty acids for energy in the absence of a steady carbohydrate supply or it's going to go WEEEE CARBS! and use those instead so that it doesn't have to go into it's energy stores. Us humans, having the know-how can trick our bodies into burning fat, through manipulating insulin/leptin (and that's done by lifting heavy, sprinting, eating moderate carbs if so desired, etc, basically being a good old primal)

So, I don't really care to argue with people that profess carbs are what our bodies prefer. I'm with that. I still don't think carbs are essential, but if you're somebody that likes them, there's no imperative reason why you shouldn't have them.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 08-24-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Einz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by profdjj View Post
    Your body easily converts protein in to carbs as needed. Don't listen to the "high-carb" freaks.
    Lol this is just not true.

The body is an amazing thing and can make many adaptations for survival, this does not mean that is the healthiest or best for us. Carbs are needed to function optimally, and many people cutting carbs feel better because they are cutting wheat and grains. Good carbs are a must. And if you even think athletes can last on ketosis or gluconeogenesis you are wrong. It is an adaptation for survival, it is not meant to thrive. Eat your carbs people.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Einz View Post
    Lol this is just not true.

The body is an amazing thing and can make many adaptations for survival, this does not mean that is the healthiest or best for us. Carbs are needed to function optimally, and many people cutting carbs feel better because they are cutting wheat and grains. Good carbs are a must. And if you even think athletes can last on ketosis or gluconeogenesis you are wrong. It is an adaptation for survival, it is not meant to thrive. Eat your carbs people.
    + 1

I would add, as I did on my original post: Ask yourself WHY you are low-carbing. If you happen to fall into low-carb ranges but you're eating plenty of vegetables and you feel good, then don't worry about it. If you're like me and experimented with zero-carb because you thought that was going to be the fast-track to weight loss... reconsider, especially if you're within 20-30lbs of your "goal weight". Bigger folks can get away with it longer.

Primal Bill Guest
    I don't think it's right to assume that because the brain needs 130 grams of carbs a day (if its even true), that those carbs need to be EATEN everyday. The body can produce/convert as needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast