Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - How much coconut milk do you consume while losing weight? page

croí is offline Senior Member

Question Ladies - How much coconut milk do you consume while losing weight?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't mind guys inputs either, just trying to get an idea from ladies who are losing weight or have lost weight and used coconut milk as a fat source.

I have stalled this week, and I think I need to up my fat intake. I enjoy coconut milk in my coffee/tea, and also a couple of spoon fulls as an after dinner snack. I've sorta slacked on coconut milk because someone said to watch the calorie intake if I want to lose weight. But, I thought maybe I could add some to my diet up my fat intake, but not too much to stall my weight loss?
    Last edited by croí; 08-24-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: More info.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    About 4 oz/day in my protein shake. Other fats-1tbsp CO in coffee, 1/2 an avocado on salad, OO for cooking & salad dressing.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

alevin is offline Junior Member
    What other fat are you consuming? When I crunch the numbers for myself, I find that I'm already getting enough fat with all the butter and tasty red meat I'm enjoying. If I'm under, I make these wicked coconut haystacks with coconut oil and 100% dark chocolate and usually some cacao nibs (that is, if I'm also good on carbs lol). Delicious, fatty, and sweet tooth friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    What other fat are you consuming? When I crunch the numbers for myself, I find that I'm already getting enough fat with all the butter and tasty red meat I'm enjoying. If I'm under, I make these wicked coconut haystacks with coconut oil and 100% dark chocolate and usually some cacao nibs (that is, if I'm also good on carbs lol). Delicious, fatty, and sweet tooth friendly.
    I use coconut oil on my meats, butter on my veggies, blue cheese dressing on my salad (my 20%), and 1 small serving of nuts a day. Although I've eased up on the coconut oil as of late. I don't eat fruit, chocolate. I do think I need to up my fat. I was thinking eggs and coconut milk should do it.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    coconut milk doesn't have very much fat (less than whole milk) -- don't worry about a couple servings a day prohibiting your fat loss

If you are attempting to lose weight though you should be avoiding dairy (yogurt, heavy cream, milk). If you are looking for a fat source, meat is excellent. Like nuts, dairy is not a valid meat replacement while trying to lose weight.
    ad astra per aspera

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had it in quite a while, maybe two months, but I'm due to receive a shipment from amazon soon. I plan on not consuming dairy cream and using coconut milk instead. I don't cook much with it so it will mostly be used as a coffee/tea creamer and obviously for the good fats. I am also looking to see if it makes any changes from a body fat standpoint, but mostly, I enjoy the taste. I would probably use about 2-4oz daily I guess.

A long while back I read this article: CrossFit On a Low Carb Paleo Diet: Mat Lalonde Reporting

Note that it's from 2009, and though the post hasn't been revised (which irks me a little) the author, Mat Lalonde, stated on a Robb Wolf podcast that he eventually did have a semi-serious case of hypoglycemia. He said he had to stumble to an ice cream shop, mumbled at the attendant and downed two pints just to feel normal. I was experimenting on low carb + exercise so his article interested me a lot, especially this quote where he mentions coconut milk:

Most important were the noticeable increases in strength and loss of body fat around the abdomen. Aside from the low-carb dealio and the exercise, it is very likely that the fish oil supplementation and the medium chain triglycerides from the coconut products were responsible for improving insulin sensitivity, which led to a loss of body fat and an increase in muscle mass
    He basically said "it's a bad idea" on the podcast, and said having some starches when cross-fitting (or doing similarly glycogen depleting activity) is better than trying to do it on a ketogenic style diet.

I know that's not the focus of this thread, I mostly wanted to quote the thing about coconut products, but hell I figured I'm gonna link it I might as well put out the disclaimers. In case someone reads it and wants to give it a go. The take-away for me is that you don't have to wolf down carbs post workout every time, but if you like them (who doesn't like potatoes?) you shouldn't feel the need to exclude them just for the sake of being "low-carb" if you're exercising relatively hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    coconut milk doesn't have very much fat (less than whole milk) -- don't worry about a couple servings a day prohibiting your fat loss

If you are attempting to lose weight though you should be avoiding dairy (yogurt, heavy cream, milk). If you are looking for a fat source, meat is excellent. Like nuts, dairy is not a valid meat replacement while trying to lose weight.
    Understood. I eat meat with every meal. I don't eat dairy (but does coconut milk count as dairy?) If so, then that is the only kind of dairy.

Really my diet consists of meat, veggies, butter, coconut oil, and a small handful of nuts.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    Understood. I eat meat with every meal. I don't eat dairy (but does coconut milk count as dairy?) If so, then that is the only kind of dairy.

Really my diet consists of meat, veggies, butter, coconut oil, and a small handful of nuts.
    Coconut milk has nothing to do with cows, it's just called milk because it resembles it.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I haven't had it in quite a while, maybe two months, but I'm due to receive a shipment from amazon soon. I plan on not consuming dairy cream and using coconut milk instead. I don't cook much with it so it will mostly be used as a coffee/tea creamer and obviously for the good fats. I am also looking to see if it makes any changes from a body fat standpoint, but mostly, I enjoy the taste. I would probably use about 2-4oz daily I guess.

A long while back I read this article: CrossFit On a Low Carb Paleo Diet: Mat Lalonde Reporting

Note that it's from 2009, and though the post hasn't been revised (which irks me a little) the author, Mat Lalonde, stated on a Robb Wolf podcast that he eventually did have a semi-serious case of hypoglycemia. He said he had to stumble to an ice cream shop, mumbled at the attendant and downed two pints just to feel normal. I was experimenting on low carb + exercise so his article interested me a lot, especially this quote where he mentions coconut milk:

He basically said "it's a bad idea" on the podcast, and said having some starches when cross-fitting (or doing similarly glycogen depleting activity) is better than trying to do it on a ketogenic style diet.

I know that's not the focus of this thread, I mostly wanted to quote the thing about coconut products, but hell I figured I'm gonna link it I might as well put out the disclaimers. In case someone reads it and wants to give it a go. The take-away for me is that you don't have to wolf down carbs post workout every time, but if you like them (who doesn't like potatoes?) you shouldn't feel the need to exclude them just for the sake of being "low-carb" if you're exercising relatively hard.
    Thanks Iniquity. So, I'm a bit confused. Is Matt Lalonde saying the coconut products helped him lose the belly fat, or it's a bad idea? I eat starches on occasion, but really, I don't feel like I work out hard enough to up my carbs too much.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Coconut milk has nothing to do with cows, it's just called milk because it resembles it.
    That's what I thought.. just wanted to make sure I was not mis-understanding. So, no, I don't consume dairy of any kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast