Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anecdotal Evidence (RedMenace's Journal) page 2

RedMenace is offline Senior Member

Why am I rambling? I DON'T KNOW!

Once upon a time, I was a vegetarian. A bad one. In fact, I consistently referred to myself as "the world's sh*ttiest vegetarian", because I would eat meat on an occasion. You know, occasions like special dinners, or when socially obligated, or when trying new cuisines, or exciting new dishes, or....well....any time there happened to be meat in front of me.

Beyond that, though, I was a crap vegetarian because, well, I didn't really eat vegetables. I ate mac and cheese, and spaghetti, and ice cream....and really that might be about it. No wonder I'm fat, eh?

Now I eat primal, and I eat far more vegetables, far more frequently, than I did before. I feel better, I look better (though I have a ways to go yet) and I function better.

This, of course, does not preclude me from receiving the standard holiday office gifts filled with candies, cookies, and cakes.

I typically now say "thank you" and bring the stuff home for my still "crappiest vegetarian" boyfriend (he's an ethical vegetarian so no meat for him) to eat. As of late, though, I'm starting to feel guilty about it.

My boyfriend eats a diet that mostly consists of Mac and Cheese and Sriracha. I definitely eat more veg than he does on a more consistent basis. He also lacks a lot of good fats and even enough protein to support working out some times. All this taken into account, I sort of feel like I'm poisoning him when I bring food home from the office that I refuse to touch.

"O hai, honey! My boss gave me 3 tons of cookies, and I know they'll make me fat and kill me, so I wont touch 'em. Here you go! Enjoy this stuff that will make YOU fat and kill YOU!.... Love you!"

I believe I'm just going to have to suck it up and employ a "toss the poison" rule as much as the waste will pain me.

So, this, of course, got the ball rolling on thinking about what the BF eats normally, and how I really ought to (you know, because consistency is important) feel just as guilty buying him Amy's mac and cheese to eat 5 days out of the week as I do giving him all the various holiday treats that float past my desk.

And so, I do. I do feel guilty now. MISSION ACCOMPLIS....wait, no.

I did talk to him about it, and he did agree his diet is laughable, but he's disinterested in what I have to show him about it more than that. So, I guess my only recourse for the moment is ceasing to buy him the BS and helping him learn to cook for himself.

Darn you, Paleo and your sound science that makes me care!
    Prions are natures way of telling us that cannibalism is for losers.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36522.html

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Haha, welcome back. I remember reading your early posts a couple of months ago! I have a hard time not trying to bash my family over the head with the ease and awesomeness that is paleo/primal. My sister is vegan and it makes me sad!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Well hello there! Thanks for coming back and reading again!
    Yeah, I wish I could just send my boyfriend links and have him pop out paleo on the other end of the experience like I did, but c'est la vie. I'm giving him In Defense of Food as a primer and seeing how that goes.
    Veganism is starting to make me sad too. I did it for six months and felt AWFUL. Can't imagine feeling like that for years.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Just found your journal - love your writing style! Another great book that might nudge him off of his "ethical' vegetarianism is "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. She writes in a kick-ass style that just blows away all the moral high ground of vegetarianism, not to mention all the other justifications for it. Lierre was a vegan for 20 years or so and a committed environmentalist, so she knows of what she speaks. It is a great companion to Michael Pollan's books. If you are getting into learning more about food ethics, politics, etc it is a must read. Enjoy!

Hi, Barb!
    Thank you!
    I should qualify this as "ethical vegetarianism" doesn't mean what it used to. Killing animals makes him sad. It's really a "death ethics" sort of deal. Not really a food ethics thing. It also squicks him out. Not in that overly political eco-terrorist sort of way, but in that he just REALLY doesn't enjoy eating meat anymore kind of way. Even before he was a vegetarian he would hem and haw over a perfectly cooked steak. He's weird. There's literally nothing more to it than that.

I have a hard time arguing with him about it because, honestly, that's a personal thing and there's nothing to say other than: "But the bacon is TASTY! TASTY PIGGY! TRY SOM....oh god, honey, don't make that face at the bacon....I'm sure it was HAPPY, you know, before it was butchered for my sustenance.....okay, fine, I'll stop waving the bacon around."

That said, I will certainly pick up the book, as I'm interested in the counter arguments to the food ethics and political arguments from the pro-vegetarianism camp. Thank you for the recommendation!

Barb is offline Senior Member
    The book addresses the "emotional vegetarian" thingie too - as in I can't bear to eat a dead animal emotion. It really exposes how terrible agriculture is for the land and just think about how many animals died to grow your wheat or soy burger. Lierre really wants us all to grow up and live in reality, the reality of what it takes to eat and survive on this planet. Yes, there are ethical and environmentally responsible ways to do this, but vegetarianism (veganism in particular) just ain't one of them. And did I mention this woman knows how to write?

So, who's a lazy fatty?

It's ME! I WAS THE TURKEY THE WHOLE TIME!!!

*ahem*

So, in another lifetime, I was a bellydancer. I did bellydance for about 5 years, mostly in studios and at large gathering sorts of events. Then I moved to a different town, decided to take up the "Starve yourself and work out until you die" lifestyle for about 2 years, then I quit that, moved to Seattle, got sick and injured, ate nothing but ice cream to comfort myself, got into school, and blew up like an unfortunate Macy's parade blimp.

Flash forward approximately 3 years time, said blimp, that is, I, enrolled for and began attending belly dancing classes.

Holy god, I'm a mess, y'all. I can't even start to make my body move like it used to. I'm uncoordinated and terrible. AND I get to stare at the uncoordinated and terrible flailings of said unfortunate blimp (still me) in a dance studio mirror for two hours each Monday.

Part of me is incredibly motivated to start a body weight circuit thing 3x a week just to speed the weight loss/ muscle tone thing. Most of me wants to curl in a ball and sob into a gallon tub of Yerhideous crunch with caramel fatty mcfatterson swirls and failure sprinkles (now with nougat!), and just give up.

I'm suspicious I will go with something in between and just completely wuss out of going to the gym. Not my best decision, but dear god, I don't want to watch the flailing anymore. Please don't make me!

In complete contrast to the above thread, I had an awesome and reassuring day yesterday. I did an accidental IF while I was doing some Christmas decorations crafting (read: spray painting a Christmas tree and ornaments). I just forgot to eat until about 6pm but felt great all day. Better than that, though, was what happened on the hunt for clothing I wouldn't mind getting paint on.

I threw on a random pair of jeans from the bottom of a drawer and realized they didn't feel familiar at all. Looked at the tag, they're a pair that's never fit me that I was set to donate because, you know, thin jeans come in two categories: "wishful thinking" and "yeah, right", and these were definitely the latter. They are slightly loose on me. YAY!

It's the small victories...

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Hah totally missed yesterday's post and the Zim reference!

I love those "too busy to eat" days where it really just doesn't matter! Congrats on the victory.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you! Also, oh yay! Someone caught the Zim reference. I pictured everyone out there arching brows going "apparently the freak with the red hair is now a turkey....well... that's primal I guess.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast