Thread: Support for all with Eating Issues! Anyone Welcome page

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I thought I would just start a thread where anyone and everyone can come and talk candidly about their issues with eating. Being Primal is 80% diet, at least, and so many people struggle the most with this part of it. It's vital that this thread is SUPPORTIVE, and may I say respectfully if you don't understand where someone with a food issue is coming from, feel free to ask questions but I would appreciate it if this did not turn into a "kick up the ass, keep your chin up" thing. I would also like to say this thread is for ANYONE who has ever had an eating 'issue', it does not have to be a disorder. I'll start!

I've been a binge eater since I was 5 and experienced my etsi's (moms) depression and attempted suicide. Things did not get better for a very long, long time. We moved a lot and I never had a best friend for more than a year. We lived in dangerous, impoverished areas with plenty of sex offenders and gangs. I felt truly alone my whole childhood and into adulthood until I met my now husband at 14. He brought me back from the brink of despair, along with my newfound spirituality, and after getting kicked out of high school and spending time in a mental institution I realized I wanted to straighten up my own life, even if I couldn't save those around me. Food was my only solace, my only friend, the only thing that didn't judge me, as I have always been 'different'. Now that I'm a popular, loved, intelligent, grown woman I still feel like a 5 year old around food. Going primal has been on my mind for years but I have never been able to make the leap and I'm still not fully able. I'm hoping by being upfront and honest about all of this, I'll be able to slowly slough off a bad habit, and more importantly, build new ones that are positive.

Kaizen Guest

Well personally I tend to eat when I'm bored, and I get bored easily. Not only that but I tend to eat out a lot during those times. I wouldn't say I eat a ton, I just eat a ton at once, and it all tends to be crap. Often times I can eat 1000-1500 for weeks. I'm a fairly big guy, so I take it that since I've been eating like that for so long that my metabolism is shot. I'm going primal little by little, but it's hard since I've been moving around lately. Eating primal is definitely easier when you can cook, but I'll make due for now. I'm trying to stay primal, but right now the holidays might make that a rocky start. I'd like to make healthy clean food choices a habit, and I often do good but sometimes going too long without food and having no primal foods around leads me to eat bad foods. It's a journey though, and I'll get there.

Awesome Kaizen, thanks for chiming in. Although one desires to go primal, I'm finding it super hard to make a connection between those desires and what I have to leave behind (foods I like, in this case). It's also a bit of a body image thing; I've always been really thick and have placated my feelings of inadequacy by telling myself "when I grow up I'll be skinny". But I'm grown up now, and not skinny. And I fear gaining muscle (I know I know! this is a place of honesty). All of this adds to me disconnecting from my goals.

maba is offline Senior Member

Same problem as Kaizen with me. I eat when I'm bored and that happens often. Even if what I eat is Primal, it's still overeating and the calories add up real quick. Nuts are the worst culprits. I'm ok as long as I don't touch them, but once I eat one, before I realize, I've wolfed atleast half a pound. Other than hiding them from me, I'm not sure what will work. More than the nuts itself, I'll have to tackle my "eating because I'm bored" habit. I'm small (5' 0") and even the slightest weight gain is very conspicuous. I've gained 5 lbs since turning Primal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Support for maba! Thats really tough. You're trying to do the right thing and then it seems to backfire on you! I have found myself in a similar position though. Nuts are definately almost a no-no for me, but at the same time I don't want to be too severely exclusive. Ultimately, the problem (like you said) is in your outlook, no the program itself. But how does one change ones outlook? Is it different for everyone? I myself do not respond to external pressure, I have found out. I am a very self-motivated person and have been since I came out of the womb. I'm just now discovering this though! Do you guys feel self-motivated or externally motivated or both? Which produces better results for you?