Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Losing - Stalled Weight Loss page

Metro is offline Junior Member

Not Losing - Stalled Weight Loss

Primal Fuel
    I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I am new to the Primal way of eating but not new to low carb.

Just for a quick history: I did Atkins about 2 years ago and lost about 35 pounds. Once I started eating a few carbs I ended up back at my old way of eating. I did not gain the weight back but I am finding it challanging to lose right now. Maybe I need to be patient.

I started about 3 1/2 weeks ago on Atkins. I only lost the 5 pounds of carb "loading" I did before I started. I then switched to South Beach in 1 1/2 weeks because the high fat of cream in my coffee really made me "not feel well" in the mornings and I just was not feeling real well (could have been from those Atkins franken-bars). South Beach requires low fat dairy. Also I really like fruit and nuts. I lost 5 pounds the first week I switched over. I limited my nuts and my fruit. But really I have been on the Primal diet for the most part. I seem to have stayed at my current weight for 2 weeks now. I am excercising more. I have over done my servings on the nuts because I am hungry - it seems - often. I have determined that I need to eat a regular full lunch to avoid the hunger and snacking all afternoon. I am getting some fat - butter to sautee my eggs, avocado, occasional olive oil in salad dressing, Omega-3 supplement - so I don't think that is it.

I do eat some dairy (string cheese) and about a cup of 1% milk everyday with my (necessary) 3 cups of coffee. I guess I am about 80% or more Primal. I really don't want to give up dairy and my "fattening" nuts.

I DO feel better but it seems my weight loss is stagnant right now. I was also counting my calories to make sure I am not going over a weight loss calorie level (calories per day = 10x my weight).

I was unsure I wanted to go Primal (it was hard to give up the grains) and one reason I switched to South Beach was to incorporate grains into my weight loss so my body wouldn't be "shocked" when I started eating "normally" but I tried a piece of toast last week (organic whole sprouted grain) and I felt terrible - the old fatigue (I hated feeling that way) and it was as if I could actually FEEL my insulin drop (or whatever happens) and my joints hurt too. It was so weird, like I never knew that my body reacted that way to wheat and the multiple grains in that bread.

Anyway, I went back to meat and vegetables and a little fruit and a lot of nuts. I may have to reduce my servings on nuts in order to lose weight.

I hate measuring everything and counting calories. I just want to eat when I am hungry - as much as will fill me up of whatever I am supposed to have. I don't want to spend my whole day inthe kitchen. I just like all kinds of nuts and I like fruit. The only thing I can think of is to reduce my nut servings. I limit myself to 1 (no more than 2) servings of fruit per day and I am trying to limit my nut serving to 1 per day but lately it has been 3 or more per day because if I don't eat that I will eat cheese or bacon.

I am trying to stay encouraged but as I see that scale not move much day after day I just want to go out and eat the things I used to eat. I have to remind myself that I feel good right now and don't blow it like with that toast. It seemed like it took days to get over it because it seemed to trigger some intense hunger for a few days after that.

My allowable food choices feels somewhat restrictive but, again, I like the way I feel and I won't be eating that toast anytime soon.

Some of it is budget consideration because I try to eat all organic vegetables and natural meat (organic if possible) and that leads to less food variety sometimes.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Metro. I hope you will give Primal a good try before switching again. It sometimes takes awhile for the changes to start.

I am trying to limit my nut serving to 1 per day but lately it has been 3 or more per day because if I don't eat that I will eat cheese or bacon.
    Eat the cheese and bacon. Real, full fat, pastured cow, ideally raw aged cheese.

Replace the 1% milk with cream.

A few nuts are fine. But do try to keep it to one serving/day.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Hedonist. It looks like you're trying to avoid fat. Don't. Fat is fine, fat is good, fat is GREAT! Nuts may be something you want to cut back on, at least early on. I know too much would stall me out.

Try to stick with truly Primal for 30 days. Yeah, it might not be easy, but when those 30 days are up, you'll notice you're not being dragged around by food cravings 24/7.

I'd love to say "Here, take this magic pill and everything will be easy!" but it would be a lie. Put in the work now and it will be incredibly easy in the very near future.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

js290 is offline Senior Member

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Cut the nuts to 1 serve, if you can ditch the coffee and replace with green tea OR one coffee in morning and then green tea. 1 piece of fruit only daily or 1 every couple of days. Fish oil may help your start burning body fat. Also seems to be helpful taking multivitamin for weight/fat loss. I think it was Paul Jaminet said micronutrient deficiencies may be implicated in excess weight. Being on Atkins - too low carb may have contributed to micronutrient deficiencies. Paul or was it Chris Kresser mentioned a study where those taking multivitamins lost weight.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    if you can ditch the coffee and replace with green tea OR one coffee in morning and then green tea.
    Why? Could you provide a link that 3 cups of coffee will stall weight loss? It seems to be far more of a over consumption of nuts/lack of good fat issue.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Take 2-3 teaspoons of coconut oil throughout the day for added fat and satiety!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Why? Could you provide a link that 3 cups of coffee will stall weight loss? It seems to be far more of a over consumption of nuts/lack of good fat issue.
    So OP could get rid of her cup of milk that she uses for the 3 cups of coffee.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    So OP could get rid of her cup of milk that she uses for the 3 cups of coffee.
    Ah, that makes sense presuming she would not then add milk to the tea she has now switched to.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I started about 3 1/2 weeks ago on Atkins...
    but it seems my weight loss is stagnant right now.
    3 and a half weeks is not long enough to have "stagnant" weight loss. you've lost 10 lbs in that time. 1-2 lbs a week is the average you should be aiming for. More than that and weight loss tends to be unsustainable, particularly health wise. Primal is NOT a quick weightloss fix where you get to lose all the weight and then forget about and "start eating normally." There is no magic pill or set of foods or exercise program that works like that. Only real and permanent lifestyle change is going to give you real and permanent body composition change.

Here's my advice.
    Focus on your health. Throw away your scale. Measure your success by how you feel and how your clothing fits. Eat real food, plenty of meat and veggies, fewer nuts, little fruit and more fat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast