Thread: Sets and Reps page

Hawaiigirl is offline Member

Sets and Reps

Shop Now
    If I do not feel comfortable going heavy doing 5x5 but I am still using the same exercises as say the stronglifts or starting strength programs, how many sets and reps can I do? I feel more comfortable doing moderately heavy weights.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    doing 5x5 is probably still a good idea...but you don't have to lift heavy. the whole idea with those programs is that you start with light weights to focus on form, and increase the weight each time. you'll get familiar with the exercises and you'll be fine with the heavier weights over time. if you still don't want to go heavy, and feel more comfortable with lighter weights, go up to 8-10 reps...but you want get the same results

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Start off light and easy, 3 sets with 8-12 reps each. Once you're comfortable with the moves and perfect your form increase the weight. When 3 sets in that rep range are not challenging add another set. After 4wks at 8-12, change it up by increasing reps 13-21 and dropping the poundage for 4wks. Take a few days off and repeat.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    beginners can do darn near anything and get useful gains.
    If your goals are moderate maybe all the gains you'll need.

higher than 3 * 15 would be pushing it.

Not lifting 'heavy' is OK but it still has to be heavy for the rep range you choose.
    That 15th rep should be hard!

I have been lifting for a long time and tried going heavy and just don't really feel that comfortable. I guess I will try 3x10-15 and lift as heavy as I can to finish those. Thanks

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about going heavier or anything that would take you out of comfort (like more reps) as a beginner. Your tendons and joints need to catch up with your strength gains so doing what you're "comfortable" with is still productive in the long run even if you stay with the same weight and same format.

Thanks!

FredFornicola is offline Junior Member
    After training for over 35 years of my own training and having personally supervised 10's of thousands of training sessions , I can assure you that it's more about the quality of your work than the amount of reps you perform. You can make "progress" on any rep scheme as progress (as most terms) are subjective to the individual. I have people perform very high repetition programs with great success (strength/conditioning/muscular hypertrophy) as well as low rep programs and everything in between. It all depends on how the person responds and what they need at the time.
    www.PremierePersonalFitness.com

"TRAIN WITH A PURPOSE"