Thread: 100k Yrs Grain Consumption, Cordain, Lyle McDonald and CastleGrok all weigh in. page

Acmebike is offline Member

Shop Now

Recent 100k year old evidence of grain consumption, been discussed, but here's a great take:

http://castlegrok.com/reply-to-lyle-...n-consumption/

Kaizen Guest

I'm on a bodybuilding forum that Lyle is also on, and I have to say that guy is quite arrogant at times. I pretty much lost all respect for the guy now. Not because he's ragging on this lifestyle, but because his "points" are completely asinine. I particularly like the part of him saying "they blog on computers, drive cars,etc".

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

Huh. Another reason to essentially ignore Lyle McDonald. Shocking.

Great stuff by CastleGrok, though!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

OTOH Lyle is incredibly well versed in many ways, is up to date on all the research on PubMed and other sources, and can be relied on probably far more than many other "experts."

His non sequiturs are like Cordain figuring things out 99% of the way and then upholding Canola oil as good..........

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

It's really an attitude thing for me -- his published stuff is both broad and deep, and carefully done. The personal stuff is titanically arrogant, and that's where I bail out.

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

This is my first time running into Lyle, but from what I've read in that article, he seems to be running with one piece of evidence that grains are supposed to be in our diet. Of course, he mentions that more needs to be looked into it, but he automatically assumes that we used the grass/grain to eat, even though he himself says that there is no way we could know what was eaten so long ago. Mark, on the other hand, provides us with A LOT of evidence that supports the primal/paleo way.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

I have read most of Lyle's stuff. I agree with OTB on his knowledge but personality wise he is a bit (a lot) of a jerk, although he did take a strip of bobbylight recently. If you have read through his stuff, especially his forum, you would know where he is coming from with this article. Not a good article for first impressions that is for sure.

Vick is offline Senior Member

I think they miss the whole point. Grains are not the problem. Grains are part of the cause.

The problem with the western diet is the omega 3-6 ratio is out of balance. Add to this the lack of vitamin d, antioxidants, lack of high intensity physical events and you have a failure in health.

It is nice to say that the Iniut live on meat only. Their meat... ate meat... that was high in vitamin d. A cow or deer doesn't. How many meat only cultures became extinct before they became a culture because they didn't receive the necessary nutrients?

Our body has evolved based on receiving certain amount of nutrients and suriving a situation that requires executing a high intensity exercise or event. Failure to meet either requirement means death.

That is what we need to strive for. That is what research needs to provide us with. A lifestyle that provides us the opportunity to meet the challenges of both.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Didn't Lyle write "THE" book on ketogenic diets and Cyclic ketogenic diets (CKDs)?

I'm surprised he appears to be so anti-paleo in this article, seeing as keto diets are somewhat close in nature to paleo/primal.

I guess I have to agree with some comments re: his personal aspect coming off a bit rough. Usually his information is good, maybe the delivery isn't as consistent as I had thought.