Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon page

hulldatzet Guest

Primal Fuel

ive always grown up thinking bacon was bad for you and i had some today for the first time in years and re-realized how much i love it. is this really good for you in the PB view of things? any info would be great since it just seems too good to be true if bacon is ok to eat every day.

on a side note, is there any way to change your password after signing up? im sick of copy/pasting the password from my email everytime i log in since its such a crazy one. thanks

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

hulla, bacon is great as long as you stay away from packaged or processed ones, which usually contain nitrates. When possible, get the one that is cut in front of you, kind of like when you buy ham.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

BigBeck89 Guest

or look for a nitrate free one

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

@ hulldatzet

What they said regarding the bacon.

As for your password, look to the top right where it says login/logout. A link that says welcome, hulldatzet! is right under that.

Click your member name.

That will take you to your forum profile.

Under your name there is a line that says, "This is how your profile appears to a logged in member. You may edit this information".

Click, "edit this information"

At the bottom of the next page you can change your password information.

@ Mark

It took me a bit to find this info when I first joined. A link to the password editing page included in the initial email might be a helpful feature.

grandma is offline Member

ain't it great!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Nick Guest

Due to USDA regulations, the guy I buy my eggs from, but who also happens to do chickens and pigs and cows (but most ends up going to restaurants), has pork belly, but cannot cure it himself. In fact, if he does sausage, he can't even use his own herbs as spices, he has to use stuff from the store.

I already had a pound of his pork belly, and it was pretty good totally unbrined/uncured. But on Saturday he's going to bring me 2 or 3 pounds of it (apparently it's unpopular so he usually doesn't bring much), and I'm going to try brining it and maybe cold smoking it myself.

If you can get it, that's a way to make sure you're not getting any surprises. He said he likes to brine it in a solution of salt, red pepper flakes, and cider vinegar. He sells it for $5.50/lb, which works out the same as $4 for 12oz of uncured at Trader Joe's.

Also I basically eat bacon every day (I did today) and bacon is awesome.

hulldatzet Guest

what exactly is going to happen to me buying and eating regular store bought bacon (w/ nitrates)? im already on a short budget being a student and doubling (or more maybe) the price of the bacon i buy is really not going to work for me just to get rid of something i didnt even know was there in the first place

Nick Guest

Well, I don't particularly worry about nitrates. But I do try to reduce omega-6 fats, which is why I prefer to get pastured bacon if I can. That's kind of an overall concern with every type of meat. If you're not worried about your O6:O3 ratio, or you feel like taking a bunch of fish oil to balance it out, it's your decision. It's hard to find reliably, so I'll eat uncured store bought bacon if I have to.

If you're on a severely constrained budget, just taking a fish oil supplement to balance out the O6 in meat (which isn't that much, because meat is too heavily polyunsaturated) -- it's better than doing nothing.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Pastured bacon? Tries to imagine grass-fed pork.

Fails.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

@hulldatzet: there are a ton of peer-reviewed articles linking nitrites and nitrosamines with cancer:

http://tinyurl.com/nxwggj

http://tinyurl.com/nyj68h

I think it would be wise to stay away from them if possible.

I get my bacon from a Polish deli here in NYC, and it's delicious and very cheap.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast