Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacon page 2

sammylou is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@serialsinner: i thought the same thing until i asked to see the ingredient list for the big hunk of bacon they were slicing off of at the deli. it had just as much sugar and several more preservatives than many of the packaged brands.

that being said, i avoid the supermarket stuff when i can and buy from my butcher. it is cured with both salt and sugar but the sugar is so minimal and his quality of meat is so good that i don't worry about it. there is definitely a big taste difference between the two.

Nick Guest

Pigs are still omnivores. But the pigs on that farm get fed scraps, whatever they can scrounge in the pasture, but primarily fruits and vegetables grown on the farm. I've seen some people advertise genuine "grass fed" pork, but..pigs are a lot like humans, I imagine those pigs would do about as well as a vegan.

Contrast this with the giant warehouses Smithfield grows most of our commercial pork in, feeding the pigs nothing but corn and soy, with a giant pond of dead pigs, pig guts, pig feces, etc. with a circulating fountain outside (it tends to look like the river of pink goo in Ghostbusters 2 ..ooh, pure evil!). There's a reason people here in North Carolina get sick from the hydrogen sulfide gas from those facilities if they're even within a few miles.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

If you have a Smith's or King Sooper's or any other store that sells Kroger products, Kroger makes a damn good No Sugar Added bacon that I eat all the time. My daughter and I just finished off 2 packages for dinner hahaha.

Tarlach is offline Member

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

@sammylou: You are unfortunately right, there might be more in the bacon I get than I'm aware off. And the people from the Deli probably don't know either. Oh well...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

I read all of the labels and the bacon we get from the butcher (that he slices) has less than 1/5 of the salt that 'normal' bacon has and a negligible amount of sugar. It is far superior to anything else I have come across.

Unfortunately that doesn't help you guys in the States as I am in Australia.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Miriam Guest

G’day Tarlach a fellow Aussie Grok!

I get my bacon which is nitrate free and is absolutely delish! It doesn’t have any sugar but instead juniper berries and other assorted spices.

For those who are on budgets maybe just buy the best quality bacon for special occasions instead of eating bad quality sloppy bacon from the supermarket on a regular basis.

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

One of the local smokehouses where I live now certifies many of their products as humane (Certified Humane): this entails no hormones, pasture-raised, no antibiotics, etc. I've been chowing down on their cottage bacon (uncured but smoked, no nitrates) this week (looks like Canadian bacon) and it's freaking amazing stuff. North Country Smokehouse FWIW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12