Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I stop losing weight? page

Tenon is offline Junior Member

How do I stop losing weight?

Primal Fuel
    I've been lifting weights religiously for about 9 months, as well as running off and on. After months of slaving away and, for a while, drinking an entire half gallon of chocolate milk per day, I'd finally managed to gain 10 pounds. Then, about 2 months ago, I discovered Paleo/Primal eating. "Hey, cool," I thought. In the first week I lost 5 pounds. That was a little annoying, but suddenly I had six pack abs, so I assumed it was all fat loss and considered it a win.

The weight loss has slowed, but still continues. I love the diet; I love the food and I feel great. But I am irritated that I can't seem to hold, much less gain weight. And I'm starting to feel like I'm slowly starving to death. Oh, and I'm hungry ALL THE TIME.

Help me out! How do I stop losing weight? How do I gain weight?

FYI: Using PB and several other methods, I calculated my calorie needs at 2200 per day to maintain weight. I tracked my food for the last week and averaged about 2700 per day, with about 200 grams of protein and 200 grams of carbs. And yet I lost 1.25 pounds this week. This makes no sense to me.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Are you increasing more weight with the exercises that you do? Not increasing at all? Decreasing?

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    sounds like you need to eat more if you are hungry...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    So... You look great and you feel great. Why are you so stressed about losing 10 pounds? Why are you even more stressed about losing 1.25, which could be half a bowel movement, or a few ounces of water?

How is your strength? Are you lifting well?

Have you been measuring yourself? Where have these 10 pounds disappeared from? The scale is not going to tell you what you want to know. You need to measure your body, and calculate your bodyfat as well as your lean muscle mass.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Do you by any chance have any type of digestive problems? Chunks of undigested food in your stool, diarrhea or constipation? Sorry for the TMI questions, I'm just wondering if you might have a digestive issue causing your food not to be fully absorbed and used for nutrition. I have always eaten HUGE meals too, now finding out I might have celiac and other malabsorption issues, going primal and taking a digestive enzyme supplement has helped a TON, I am now eating normal portion sizes and feeling full.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    If you're fit, active, losing weight when you don't want to, and hungry all the time, I'd suggest eating more. Calories aren't an accurate picture, don't use them as the only measure.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Tenon is offline Junior Member
    My weight has fluctuated maybe 5 pounds in the last 20 years. I've eaten everything from fast food every day to strict veganism, and nothing has ever affected my weight. Primal is the only thing that has ever affected it, which is why I find it so startling. My girlfriend has quite a few food intolerances and is seeing major benefits from the diet; however I can eat pretty much anything and have never observed any negative affects from food.

I haven't measured my bodyfat %, but just eyeballing it I'd say I'm around 10-12%. I'm concerned about losing 10 pounds because I've been lifting weights for 9 months with the primary purpose of gaining weight. Frustrated is a better word than concerned, I guess.

I'm also concerned because I can't lose weight forever without it becoming a health issue, and it just doesn't make sense that a 130 pound person would need 3500-4000 calories a day just to hold steady.
    Last edited by Tenon; 08-23-2011 at 06:58 PM.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    If you are trying to gain mass you need to eat. and eat, and eat. 2200 cal aint nuthin if your trying to build muscle and your running and lifting. I would think that if you are trying to get big then you could add some BCAA's along with the 1g protein/lb of body weight, add some sweet potatoes to your post workout meal for sure. maybe milk and cheese if you can tolerate it.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Not sure with regards to building muscle but when I first started trying this diet (coming from a place of years of low fat eating) I had no idea how much fat I'd actually have to eat to get enough calories just to maintain my weight. When I get enough fats now it quelches my appetite.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenon View Post
    Help me out! How do I stop losing weight? How do I gain weight?
    Fat or lean?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast