Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Hurricane Preparedness? page

Grokarella is offline Member

Primal Hurricane Preparedness?

Primal Fuel
    Virginia is getting her share of natural disasters this week - an earthquake (!!!) today and a hurricane coming through on Sunday. We have our fair share of hurricane scares, so I know the general guidelines of preparing our house, but I'm wondering about the best plan for food, if/when we lose power. It might be a silly question, but if anyone has any advice/creative solutions, please let me know! I'd like to eat something other than jerky if Irene strikes
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Canned coconut milk, protein powder, bananas (use these to make shakes with a bit of water), tuna, salmon, sardines. Hardboil up a day or two worth of eggs and pre-cook a pound of bacon
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Nion is offline Senior Member
    *nod nod* lots of canned fish. When it comes to a disaster, don't worry about staying primal! I have canned stuff on hand if we get snowed in, etc.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Good ideas; thanks! I won't worry too much if I can't eat primal while the power is out, but I want to try my best and be prepared
    Jennifer, 28 years old

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    freeze enough meat to last a week, and freeze water. You can keep frozen stuff pretty well in a good freezer for a couple of days if the power goes out, and on ice in a cooler if it goes more than a few days. Kep your freezer doors shut as long as possible, and the insulatin should keep it cold longer. A freezer full of meat will stay colder than an empty one. Buy extra charcoal for a grill, and pick up root vegetables and squashes to keep on the counter. Canned tuna, coconut milk, and vegetables aren't all that bad in this kind of situation.

If you have a chest freezer, you can freeze gallon jugs of water to act as ice in the cooler as well. So you have drinking water as it melts. Stock up on tap water for bathing.

Have some booze handy. Hurricane parties aren't the same without it.

Great advice - thank you!
    Jennifer, 28 years old

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I don't have anything else to add, just wishing you safety. It looks like where I live, we'll just get the outer bands of Irene. I went to the grocery store on Monday and people were all ready stocking up on all their bread and water needs. I have a superstition that if I stock up on hurricane supplies then we'll get a direct hit.

Oh, I do have something to add. Make sure you have a couple of manual can openers in good working order. Nothing worse than trying to open a can by repeatedly stabbing it with a knife.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

h2gasser is offline Junior Member
    After the hurricane is over, grilled looter is especially tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    Oh, I do have something to add. Make sure you have a couple of manual can openers in good working order. Nothing worse than trying to open a can by repeatedly stabbing it with a knife.
    Good point! We're old school and only have manual can openers, but this is exactly the type of thing that I would forget!

I haven't braved the supermarkets yet, but I imagine it is going to be a madhouse. I may need to make a stop at the library too for something to do if we lose power
    Jennifer, 28 years old

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    If you've got a freezer full of expensive grass fed meat or anything else I would think about a generator (too late for Irene I suppose) or at a minimum a power inverter that can be run off the car. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=SPM188146481 It can be days before power is restored and a freezer ain't gonna hold that long unless chock full and UNOPENED for the duration.

Katrina was a horror show for sure but being below the river/sea level made that a special circumstance. For most of us near the coast the basics should suffice, water, batteries, propane, top off the car's gas tank. If you've still got a copper phone landline don't forget a hardwired old-fashioned phone.
    Last edited by IvyBlue; 08-24-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: dead link
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast