Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting for Fatloss page

robarm167 is offline Junior Member

Fasting for Fatloss

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am a little confused and looking for some guidelines in regard to fasting. I have heard many versions ranging from "intermittant fasting (16 hours) to "a day fast" which I interpret as not eating for that day. This would mean that if I have my last meal at 6 pm on Wednesday and fast on Thursday, then I wouldn't have anything to eat until breakfast on Friday. I have also heard that fasting can be from Dawn til Dusk which could also be interpreted as a "day fast". Though some would argue that a "day fast" would constitute not eating for 24 hours! Also, there have been versions which include not eating whole foods but actually partaking in fruit shakes consisting of protein powders etc. I am curious as to what YOU do when it comes to fasting and what I can expect when I decide to do so myself, no matter what version I choose to do. Thanks

croí is offline Senior Member
    I fast for 23 hours, with a 1 hour eating window. Depending on how long it takes to prepare dinner, my dinner is usually around 5:30 PM, and then I don't eat until dinner the next day. I drink water, tea, and coffee throughout the day. And I am losing weight every week (1-3lbs). I walk 2+ miles per day, and body weight 1-2x per week (depending on my schedule).

If you are curious about fasting and the a very good way to starting it, I suggest reading up on PKlopp's posts (Intermittent Fasting - A Primer (Part 1,2,3). He goes into scientific reasoning of why fasting might be good for you.

I'm not saying fasting is for everyone (DFH!)... If you feel you are not "leptin resistant" and want to tweak you fat loss effort, go ahead and read Pklopp's postings.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Fasting can be a stressor on your body. Best results on fasting seems to be when everything else is dialed in and you are trying to lose that last 10 pounds.

You'll probably do better on a leptin reset (protein/fat breakfast, three meals a day, no snacking) as a newbie. This gets your hunger and satiety signals in order, so that you learn the difference between true hunger and cravings and eating from boredom/habit.

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    If you're new to Primal I wouldn't recommend fasting at all until you've got into a routine food wise and your body has had chance to adjust - ie just eat whenever you're hungry for the first 3-4 weeks then see if you fancy adding fasting in.

Unfortunately many new people see the bit on fasting - try it then get hungry, then they cheat, then they feel bad, try again and then just quit rather than just concentrating on eating decent food regardless of the amount, every time they are hungry until they have got over the first 3 - 4 weeks when they can tweak.

I've been steadily losing a couple of pounds every week and I rarely go below 50g carbs - generally more like 80g and never intentionally fast although I may sometimes go from 6.30pm till 10amish simply because I'm not hungry.

After saying that you haven't actually said why you want to fast - if its because you're new and want to lose weight quickly I'd advise you to forget it, however if you have been primal for months and are looking to break a plateau and drop the last few pounds then it may help - I'm not at that stage yet.
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    I fast for 23 hours, with a 1 hour eating window. Depending on how long it takes to prepare dinner, my dinner is usually around 5:30 PM, and then I don't eat until dinner the next day. I drink water, tea, and coffee throughout the day. And I am losing weight every week (1-3lbs). I walk 2+ miles per day, and body weight 1-2x per week (depending on my schedule).

If you are curious about fasting and the a very good way to starting it, I suggest reading up on PKlopp's posts (Intermittent Fasting - A Primer (Part 1,2,3). He goes into scientific reasoning of why fasting might be good for you.

I'm not saying fasting is for everyone (DFH!)... If you feel you are not "leptin resistant" and want to tweak you fat loss effort, go ahead and read Pklopp's postings.
    Nice way to head DFH off at the pass. haha

I was just thinking that this thread was going to turn into another debate.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I started IFing after 3 weeks of primal and 6 weeks of Leptin-reset. It took me that long to actually be able to fast without dying of hunger. I eat in an 8-hour window, so breakfast at 7 am, then lunch at 1.30 pm. Then nothing else until the next morning. I wouldnt be able to do this if I hadn't done the Leptin-reset first though. Now I seem in working order, so IFing is easy.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I fasted long before I was Primal. You don't need to be 100% Primal to fast. Pre-Primal I would do a weekly fast from after lunch on Friday until breakfast or lunch on Sunday.

<rant> (I for one am getting tired of all the "leptin reset" stuff. It's the new cool thing to do apparently.) <end rant>

Ok that being said...

I do fasting 3 ways, depending on my work schedule, my energy level, and other circumstances of the day/week.

If I'm pulling long hours at work I don't have time to prepare a breakfast and lunch. On those days I find it's easier to just fast through the day and eat a good dinner.

On more "normal" days I'll skip breakfast and just do lunch and dinner.

Weekends I tend to eat more freely, and sometimes I treat myself to a delicious breakfast and then let my hunger dictate when (or if) I'll eat the rest of the day.

If I'm on a road trip I may fast until a good, quality meal can be enjoyed.

Full Moons, Sabbats and other spiritual days sometimes mean fasting, or fasting then feasting.

Mostly I try to do one of two things. Either keep my meals within an 5-hour feeding window. If that can't be done I try to space them out to a full 12-hour interval without eating in between. Sometimes neither happens, and that's ok too.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Nice way to head DFH off at the pass. haha

I was just thinking that this thread was going to turn into another debate.
    Thanks. Lately that's all it's been turning into with a debate with him, instead helping someone who truly wants to learn about fasting.
    Last edited by croí; 08-23-2011 at 03:38 PM.

LessThanZero is offline Member
    first post. (whee!)

I started fasting with Mark's post a bit ago telling us to skip our next meal. I skipped that meal and then found PKlopps' posts and I haven't looked back. I ultimately view it as reducing the amount of and impact of insulin in my blood stream.

I now eat once a day in the evening. It's satisfying as I lose weight to know that hunger rises, fatty acids are released, hunger subsides and I'm not as fat as I was a few minutes earlier. I eat to satisfaction in the evening (about 5-7ish) and that's it.

oh...as a result, I've discovered Ghrelin and I'm an addict; I am so hooked on that high. The focus and determination is amazing. It's this raw checked power that feel I have on demand. Patience. Memory. Focus. Power. Healing. This is how we're supposed to feel. I've been sick my entire life and I didn't know

I've been losing weight (hit my 100 pound milestone last week) for about a year now and the biggest and most impressive difference in all of the things I've done in the meantime is allowing myself to be hungry. It's almost sad knowing that most people won't ever experience this feeling for fear of being hungry.

Changed my personality, outlook on life and it's shaping new goals. The power of what you eat...or don't....AND when

<0

robarm167 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I will definitely take each of them into consideration. I agree with Jfreaksho stating that I need to know the difference between hunger vs being hungry from boredom! I certainly guilty of that! Thanks again and Grok on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast