Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy holding me back? page

Predatory is offline Junior Member

Question Dairy holding me back?

Shop Now
    Hi all, First off let me say that this site is a goldmine of information and inspiration and I am very grateful to spend so much time here and so now I would like to solicit some opinions if I may.

A little bit of history first; I am a 48 year old male and I have been active in the gym (weights) for most of the last 20 plus years although I never truly took control of my eating habits and in all that time did zero cardio of any kind. A couple of years ago I got involved with some people at work who are very much into lots of running and biking and I got sucked into that and so I guess I became part of the chronic cardio crowd without really knowing it eating a lot of carbs in the process often 200-300g range on my running days.

I also began competing in half marathons and eventually trained towards my first full marathon. I have picture (attached) showing a one year change in my body composition when i started to focus on my eating habits as well as all the running I was doing and the "after" shot was at the height of my marathon training and while I am getting lean I am far from defined as I would have liked and shortly after that picture was taken I injured my Achilles tendon coming off my second 20 mile training run! Chronic cardio indeed.

So long story short I eventually found my way to MDA via Fat Head and Good Calories Bad Calories etc and everything began to make sense to me in regards to eating primal and avoiding refined carbs as well as reducing the amount of cardio I had been doing. So for the past 2 1/2 months I have been consuming on average 50 grams of carbs from veggies, some berries and some dairy and while I have adjusted to the change very well I feel like I am stuck in a rut in regards to my body composition and although I don't have a more recent photo I am now 160lbs with much more upper body definition but I still am not getting the ab definition I want and its getting a little frustrating.

So my question is, should I be eliminating dairy from my diet?. A typical day of eating consists of a large 3 egg western omelet with a couple cups of tea with cream and honey for breakfast, a large mixed salad with either 4oz tuna or chicken and 8oz yogurt with 1/2 cup berries for lunch, 6oz chicken with lots of broccoli another 4oz yogurt with berries a large tea with cream and some honey and later 2 oz Almonds and a whey protein shake with some frozen fruit.

My current workout and play schedule consists of 4 x 30 minute weight training sessions in the gym where I do change things around often and running 4 times a week for 30 minutes at an easy 10 minute mile pace, I will add a 5 mile run on a weekend again at an easy pace and every 10 days I'll do either a bike sprint of 4 x 1 minute or run sprints of 6 x 20 seconds.

Hopefully that is enough information to get some opinions but I am more than happy to provide more if I have missed anything. I will try to get a recent picture so that we can see exactly where I am at right now, in the meantime I look forward to a response or two, thanks for reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

croí is offline Senior Member
    I know dairy holds me back, so I have eliminated the cheese and yogurt out of my diet. Then I started to lose again.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It definitely holds me back. And not just in terms of losing poundage, but also actual body composition changes. It sucks to bust your ass with intense workouts for nada. The guy with the handle TheFastCat made an interesting observation about his body irt dairy just yesterday in his journal, Tooth and Claw, over in the journal room....

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Could it be the honey?

Also, I don't see much fat in there- do you feel hungry? I know that I can't eat tuna or chicken without a substantial amount of mayo, butter, or bacon grease, or I will be hungry again in an hour.

Why do you bother with the whey protein shake and the almonds and fruit in the evening? What do you hope to gain from that?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    It holds me back (but I'm intolerant.) Can't really know unless you try dropping it--be sure to add some other sources of good fat and protein though as it seems to be an important part of your diet atm. Good luck figuring it out!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it holds me back, but it feels to me like 12oz every day is a whole lot of yogurt. Is it regular stuff (Dannon etc) or greek yogurt? I'll have some greek yogurt, but more along the lines of 8oz in a day.

The problem I had with dairy was when I started adding milk back in. I just couldn't get enough of it and ended up drinking maybe half a gallon a day. Not good. I had to cut it out (almost) completely, but I still eat cheese and the greek yogurt.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't really do much harm for me. I dropped it a for a few weeks and felt no different. Low quality cheese hurts my stomach though. I usually stick to Balderson's extra old cheddar or occasionally the Sussex brand cheese.
    Also, go for organic milk to avoid the acne.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Predatory is offline Junior Member

Wink

Thanks for the responses so far much appreciated. I have linked an image at the end of this post as the attached image does not appear to be viewable.

Could it be the honey?

Also, I don't see much fat in there- do you feel hungry? I know that I can't eat tuna or chicken without a substantial amount of mayo, butter, or bacon grease, or I will be hungry again in an hour.

Why do you bother with the whey protein shake and the almonds and fruit in the evening? What do you hope to gain from that?
    I have also wondered about the honey so I will make a serious effort to avoid it for a few weeks and see what difference it will make. I think my fat intake may be a little on the low side, however, I do use a lot of butter in my meals and oil and vinegar in my salads . The whey shake is to help me meet my protein requirements and apart from enjoying almonds I use them to also help me increase my fat intake.

I don't think it holds me back, but it feels to me like 12oz every day is a whole lot of yogurt. Is it regular stuff (Dannon etc) or greek yogurt? I'll have some greek yogurt, but more along the lines of 8oz in a day.
    I consume non fat greek yogurt (I can’t find any full fat yogurt that’s not full of junk), I think I’ll cut this out for the time being too.

The problem I can see is not getting in enough food if I stop eating dairy, cheese, yogurt etc so I’ll need to look through some recipes here to figure out how I can do that.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    You look great to me. Keep doing what you're doing.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I envy your lats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast