Thread: Asthmatic excercise page

Yussy is offline Junior Member

Hiya,

asthmatic smoker here (yes I know,absolutely STUPID thing to do but was an overshoot of a hedonistic lifestyle...) and I'm trying to ease myself into excercise. What wold be best as my fitness is pretty low..Would like to become fitter and lose a little weight (5'7" 160lbs)!

Yussy is offline Junior Member

obviously ill be quitting smoking too

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I've never been a smoker, although I did used to have asthma. I just had to tough it out when I started jumping rope. I'd cough and wheeze like I was gonna die...I went through lots of Primatene mist for a couple of months. Man, that was another lifetime ago; I haven't had an asthma attack for years.

I'd also like to mention that when new people come to the bootcamp class I attend every week, we can always identify the smokers...they're the ones puking in the hallway after the windsprints. Most of them never come back, but the ones who do usually stop puking by the third week.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

You'd be surprised how many people who go primal/paleo report cessation of asthma symptoms. I understand it has to do with the increased production of "good" eicosinoids and decreased production of "bad" ones as a result of lower insulin levels. (The Drs. Eades discuss this in Protein Power, if I remember correctly.)

Personally, my exercise-indused asthma disappeared when I went flegan (mostly vegan) and have stayed gone since going primal about 5 months ago. So, I suspect it has to do with clean eating as well as low carb. Just my experience.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Pankratos Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I would imagine the best way to ease into a fitness routine would be to just start walking and doing other forms of low energy forms of work for long periods like mark says. Its the best for burning fat, and won't stress any of your breathing problems.

Good luck on quitting smoking, hope this helps!