Thread: Getting back in to exercise tips ? page

Sophie87 is offline Junior Member

Red face Getting back in to exercise tips ?

Primal Fuel
    Hiya everyone.

I've been doing PB for about two weeks now and I can really feel the difference in myself, I feel healthier in general, and my clothes are looser already! So I'm really pleased, certainly won't be going back to my old ways.

Now I have a question or two with regards to exerice. I suffer from fibromyalgia and have been advised not to work myself too hard, but I really want to lose weight and tone up! So I went and bought a cross trainer/elliptical machine!

Are there any recommended lengths of time to use them? And what other sorts of exercise would you recommend in order to tone up! (I have some hand weights at home too)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sophie

katiedid is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on your success!

Definitley stay away from turning your elliptical workouts into "chronic cardio". I'm doing a CrossFit boot camp right now (for those who aren't quite in shape enough to dive right into the regular CF workouts). And we do a lot of multiple exercises every single day. Something you could try is to pick a set time limit... say 20 minutes and do the following:

2 minutes as fast as you can go on the elliptical
    stop, get off, and do 20 air swats
    2 minutes as fast as you can go on the elliptical
    stop, get off, and do 10 pushups (girl-pushups count!!!)

repeat until the 20 minute timer goes off

you could mix it up with other excerises as well, like sit ups,lunges, etc...

this way you don't "burn out" on the elliptical or catch yourself falling into a comfortable pace, and you work your other muscle groups as well.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Sorry to ask, what is CrossFit? Never heard of it here in the UK.. sounds good though, I've seen a lot of people mentioning it on this forum!

I'm going to try that workout though as thats something I could definitely fit in to my day.

Thanks again,

Sophie

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    That is awesome you are doing this to better your fibromyalgia. My mom has fibro and exercise is sooooo important but she ends up in bed now even doing more than one shopping activity per day. You are getting ahead of the game, I applaud you! Exercise can also bite you in the arse. As you probably know the tendency in any new routine or when you are feeling good as you are now is to overdo your daily activities including the exercise. You won't feel the fibro effects until later when it's too late.

I would take the advice given here and begin at 30% to 80% of that to see if it brings on any fibro trouble. Seriously, I might even just try out some eliptical "sprints" of 20 seconds as fast as your can, 5 air squats, 20 seconds on the elliptical, 5-10 girl-pushups, and then some lighter elliptical for another 2-5 minutes just for the first week. See how your fibro responds first.

davem is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about "chronic cardio" with a consumer level elliptical. That poor thing will fail before you're anywhere near "chronic".

Getting moving is a good place to start. Have you looked at user Al Kalvado's stuff? One of his posts about the exercise called the Turkish Getup might be a good place to start! I would also suggest some light yoga as a beginning point as well. Neither are significantly taxing unless you want them to be.

As far as fibro? I have no clue. I would say though, go slow, keep an eye on your energy, and how you feel in general, and physically. Additionally, if you have any abnormal pain, slow down, bring it back.

You know, just adding in activity will be good.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it! Will definitely look up Al Kalvados stuff.

And Thanks Goldstar! I can honestly say that even after just two weeks of going primal I have noticed a significant difference in the way I feel, I just wanna get exercising but then again I can easily burn out, I don't wanna take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back! So thanks for the advice :-) I'll let you know how I get on!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Best exercise you can do is to simply walk, a minimum of 2-3 hours a week. Start off with less, if you feel like you should, but it won't hurt you and there are tons of benefits.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    FWIW, my husband has fibro, and has only felt a benefit by following PBF style workouts, starting lower in intensity and working his way up. Check the PBF ebook out and see if you can find a way to start with that...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread12643.html

HTH!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco