Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does your fat come from? page

Drifter is offline Member

Where does your fat come from?

Shop Now
    Hello All,

I am looking to boost the amount of fat I consume during the day and I was wondering what your main sources of Fat are?

Mine:
    Animal Fat (in the meat I eat, beef, pork, etc)
    Avocados
    Olive Oil
    Olives
    Nuts/Seeds

I am trying to cut back on Nuts/Seeds as I am trying to lose weight so wasn't sure what other good sources i was missing. Right now I usually have eggs/bacon for breakfast, a big salad with chicken thighs for lunch, and something similar to lunch for dinner. It just doesn't seem like i am getting enough fat in, maybe i just need to make sure i have avocados in all my salads.

Anyways, any other fat ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Drifter

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i havent been eating nuts at all ..

meat is where my fat comes from .. i basically only eat meat and veggies.. fruit rarely .. avocados i add whenever i can ..

i honestly eat fattier cuts .. bacon, sausage, pork chops, pieces of whole chicken, fatty roasts, steaks, 75/25 hamburger meat when i can find it grass fed ... or grass fed and add bacon grease when i cook it ..
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I putl ots of butter on meat and vegetables. Butter on steak or chicken is delicious. Some people like to eat coconut oil by the spoonful right out of the jar.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    i havent been eating nuts at all ..

meat is where my fat comes from .. i basically only eat meat and veggies.. fruit rarely .. avocados i add whenever i can ..

i honestly eat fattier cuts .. bacon, sausage, pork chops, pieces of whole chicken, fatty roasts, steaks, 75/25 hamburger meat when i can find it grass fed ... or grass fed and add bacon grease when i cook it ..

pretty much this. All my fat comes from the eggs/meat I eat and what I cook it in - butter, bacon grease, or coconut oil.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    meats, cheese, some nuts, olive oil, bacon fat, butter...and the occasional avocado when i'm feeling wealthy. mostly eggs though...i eat at least 3 dozen a week.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    1. coconut oil
    2. eggs
    3. meat

Definitely meats (lots of eggs, bacon & sausage)
    Coconut oil
    Total Fage Greek Yogurt = nice dessert with berries
    Butter
    Cheese (aged Gouda - yum!)
    Nuts
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

Drifter is offline Member
    Sounds like I need to go a little wilder with what I cook my food in and the types of meat I go with. I always read "lean meats" on this website as well as other paleo websites so I haven't been going crazy with fattier cuts, but maybe i should be doing that. Thanks everyone!

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I personally don't feel you should sweat where the fat comes from, just so long as it's not the nasty toxic fats- the PUFAs, the omega6s. I get most of my fat from:
    -eggs
    -fatty meats like pork or beef
    -some from kippers, sardines, salmon
    -I add olive oil or butter to lean proteins like chicken breast, fish like snapper or tuna, etc.

That gives me all the fat I need to take myself up to 1600-1900kcal per day, after I've added the 100g of protein and the 90-100g of carb.

I have heard commentary that you should cut the protein down as well as the carbs and rely mostly on fat, and this gets you fat-burning faster. Dunno, though. I've never had to resort to that to get to my goal weight.

Your sources sound good, but if you want other options..

-butter. Seems like one of the staples, and I don't see it up there.
    -other oils than olive oil. I'd have to look at the recommended fats list again to see what the good ones are.
    -coconut oil (tends to be pricey), coconut milk (much more economical).

I feel like a broken record with this, lol, but just imo: it's wasted energy past a certain point trying to find the perfect optimal balance of macronutrients. Or the perfect perfect selection of foods. Fat is not magic, protein is not magic, even vegetables aren't magic, and I know this one's high treason to current healthy diet CW. I got the heaviest I've ever been eating a junkfood-heavy SAD. But after I lost down from 180lbs to 110lbs, I then slowly went back up to 155lbs.

And I gained that weight eating super super ultra mega hyper ultra-CLEAN food. I did everything I was supposed to do, I cheated NEVER. I believed the CW about magic foods that will magically make you lose weight. I believed the low carb CW about magic foods to lose weight. I LOST NOTHING. Zip. For 3 years. I stayed at 155lbs. I was the best dietary saint ever! I lost NADA.

Why?
    Because although I was eating clean food, I WAS EFFING EATING TOO MUCH. Too many calories. Too much rabbit food and lean protein still = too many calories = automatic weight gain or weight maintenance.

I only bring this up because you mention cutting out nuts in an effort to lose weight. And maybe you already know all this jazz anyway. But I just want to save other people the frustration of trying to chase weight loss food magic. AND if you believe that fat is the magic food, that you just need MORE FAT, well... that could be good in that it makes you more satisfied with less food and you eat fewer calories. You will then lose weight. BUT it could also, since fat is very calorie dense, lead to eating too many calories in an effort to lose weight. Which is a recipe for banging your head against a brick wall.

Only advice I can give is: eat the diet that makes you happiest. That's just because, psychologically, no one can stick to a dietary change if it leaves them unhappy, constantly hungry, resentful of what they 'can't eat', etc. Make sure that 80% of that is good healthy foods. Do what you want with the other 20%. But make sure, if you want to lose weight, you stay at calorie deficit.

I lost the most amount of weight I've ever lost on a diet of coffee, ephedra (then, being 1998, it was legal), ice cream, chocolate bars and the occasional veggie-and-meat meal pushed on me at my parent's house, since they thought I was (a)on drugs and (b)turning into a goth and (c)neglecting my health, all of which, I guess, was kind of true! lol.

But the point is- I ate total shite and I lost weight. Because I ate fewer calories than I needed, even though most of what I ate was junk. I still came in below my daily BMR. (Being 18 at the time probably helped too, but the point still stands.)

So eat what you want. Get your BMR, figure out how fast you want to lose weight, get the numbers sorted out. Get healthy stuff and indulgence stuff in there- 80/20. If you are happy with 90/10, do that. Just make sure you're happy. Spend no time banging your head against the wall and wondering WHY you aren't losing weight when you eat all the magic food you were told to eat! etc. Have whatever treat you want- sometimes- and still lose weight.

Hope some of that was relevant/helpful.

Also- nuts are pretty good for snacks, if you like them. They travel well, you can throw them in your briefcase or purse when you'll be out all day, traveling, etc and there are usually no non-crap food options. Canadian aboriginal people did concoctions of nuts, berries, dried meat or fish as traveling food, so you can't get much more primal than that. Also, fat is pretty damn good too, so don't cut it all out. PB is right on, imo, with it's fat advice. Fat is good. But fat is not magic.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CandylandCanary View Post
    Why?
    Because although I was eating clean food, I WAS EFFING EATING TOO MUCH. Too many calories. Too much rabbit food and lean protein still = too many calories = automatic weight gain or weight maintenance.
    This! Eventhough you are eating good fats... you can still gain weight eating Primal if you do not perform some kind of calorie deficit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast