Thread: N.e.w.b.i.w page

Jarrodl is offline Junior Member

N.e.w.b.i.w

Primal Fuel
    This is a first for me. I dont do message boards at all but after many false starts with the Primal\Paleo lifestyle I figure I need to do something to get on track and stay on track.
    I am an almost 40 something urbanite who now lives in the suburbs directly adjacent to Philadelphia (NW) I am married with 2 kids 7 months and 13 yrs old. Im a project manager for a big ass healthcare company (irony) that does employ dietitians but since most of them are more out of shape than I am I refuse to ask for any help from them. Besides, they employ conventional wisdom a bit too much for my liking.
    I am a former lacrosse player, racquetballer, bodybuilder, powerlifter, mountainbiker and sometime road cyclist. My current obsession is Brazillian jujitsu which I have not done for the past 2 months due to nagging injuries that I feared may become major injuries if I didnt slow down. I was also very involved in Muay Thai but one of those nagging injuries was too my hand and Im still not quite able to make a proper fist.
    WHEW!!! I have now told you more about myself than most of my friends and family know about me. On to why I am here. I have been struggling with my weight now for some time. I go through very intense periods of excercise and then intense periods of non excercise. I often use my job and family life as an excuse for those non excercise periods but we all know it comes down to lack of motivation. My hope is by joining this site I will find like minded people who I can gain inspiration from and hopefully at some point inspire on this journey to health and wellness.
    I really would like to right more right now but I feel the need to seek out the sun, ab work and kettlebells.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.

I often suffer from burnout when I get into exercise again. By working within the PB I've been much better over the past 2 months. I walk 5-6 days a week with Mrs. Griffin and we're now working out with the 5 Essential Movements twice a week. We plan on integrating the sprints into our regiment after we're comfortable with the LHT portion.

I find the PB much easier to stick to as there is no guilt involved if I feel like staying home one night rather than going for a walk. The two workouts a week (the longer of the 2 being about an hour) are manageable but man do I feel the results for a couple days afterwards.

This site, and most of the contributors, are amazing. You'll find plenty in the way of inspiration, information and encouragement here.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jarrod,

There are vast amounts of resources and support on this site...This truly is a healthier and happier way to live life. Kettlebells are a great source of strength/cardio/flexibility(skoggsystem.com is a good place to check em out)...I have been doing them for almost 2 years now(started at the skogg gym). I'm 45 and in the best shape of my life. Work on the food part right away. Lots of H2O will help with the carb flu...Good luck to you!

Grok On!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jarrod. Welcome. Getting motivated to do some exercise is great. But exercise alone won't take off much weight. To reduce fat through exercise you would have to do so much that it would harm your body. Diet is by far the biggest factor in fitness. If you eat right, move slowly 3-5 hrs/wk (55-75% of your max heart rate), do a couple sprint sessions per week and a short, intense resistance session, you will become fit and lose fat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

KateDaring52 is offline Junior Member
    Wonderful! thanks for the info that you guys have been discussing. Awesome!!!!