Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Steps, or Plunging In? page

rki
    rki is offline Senior Member

Question Baby Steps, or Plunging In?

Shop Now
    When you went Primal, did you go all in one day? Just toss out everything, and do it? Or were you more the baby-steps type? Slowly whittling away foods and changing meals week by week?

And if you've tried both, you're my new best friend, because I'm trying to figure out which is harder. (And yes, I know it really depends on the person . . . just humor me. It should be an interesting discussion, anyways.)

Is the carb-flu harder or easier one way or another? Were the habits easier to break all at once? How about feeling grumpy or tired? Any input is interesting!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i sort of eased myself in by eating as close to primal during the week, but still eating like crap on the weekends. then, one day, i just decided to go all in and that worked for me. i had done the low carb thing before though, so it was an easy switch. i think baby steps might be easier for some people who are used to eating a lot of sugar and grains and things and want to learn as they go.

figuring out which way is easier is largely a personal matter. i had developed some strong will power when it came to food, so i could easily change my diet. but it seems like it would be easier to slowly eliminate the bad foods and work in the good ones.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    All-in. Dumped all garbage outside of a couple condiments that I refuse to live without (here's looking at you, Sriracha sauce) and that was it. I'm about 98% compliant (and those 2% are very few and far between).
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I started via Atkins. I lost about 10 pounds very quickly on fewer than 20 carbs per day and then progressed up the carb ladder and the weight loss slowed profoundly. I found myself relying on some "products" and didn't want to use that crutch so I started googling about low-carb and often I'd turn up results that related to paleo or primal. I started reading up and it made a lot of sense to me so I thought I'd give it a go after a short detour through Slow Carb (disaster for me). I know people poo-poo Atkins, but from my personal experience the diet part isn't all that different from the later stages of Atkins except for a lot of Atkins-eers rely heavily on artificial sweeteners as well as reduced carb products like pasta, bread and bake mixes. I like the more natural approach of primal and I also like that it's about living a good life and not just about losing weight. Also, I've found that I just have to completely cut out grains to feel good, not just carbs.

As for the carb flu, I got it out of the way in about 3 days when I started Atkins. The worst part for me was a headache and muscle cramps. So my recommendation for that would be to find a few days where you can hibernate (if possible) and just get it out of the way. Drink lots of chicken broth with sea salt and that will help with the "flu" as well as drink lots of water and eat fat to keep the cravings at bay.
    Last edited by kiss; 08-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Just do eeeet!!!

In my personal opinion baby steps are actually harder. You don't get the real benefits of being fully primal, and yet you feel deprived somehow because you're clinging to the past. All you're doing is prolonging the discomfort that comes from weaning yourself off sugar and grains. To me - tis better to make a fast, clean break. You'll remember weeks of discomfort, but a few days? Twill be a short memory. Yes the discomfort might be a bit more intense, but really I doubt it's that much worse, and dragging it out plays games with your head.

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    I jumped right in, my hubby is taking the baby steps. He is having a harder time of it. Best of luck!
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rki View Post
    When you went Primal, did you go all in one day? Just toss out everything, and do it? Or were you more the baby-steps type? Slowly whittling away foods and changing meals week by week?

And if you've tried both, you're my new best friend, because I'm trying to figure out which is harder. (And yes, I know it really depends on the person . . . just humor me. It should be an interesting discussion, anyways.)

Is the carb-flu harder or easier one way or another? Were the habits easier to break all at once? How about feeling grumpy or tired? Any input is interesting!
    I tried to ease into it. I thought I could just cut out bread one meal at a time, or just eat that one breadstick and not 4 or 5. Yeah, that didn't work so well, so after a few days I jumped in and never looked back. Carb flu is a pain, but it doesn't last that long, and if you just keep your sodium intake up, and potassium and magnesium, it's not so bad. Just give yourself a reason to take it really easy for a few days until your energy comes back.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    @keithpowers: +1 on sriracha. I don't use it much anymore, but when I need that kick... nothing else works.

As for me, I eased into it by limiting my non-primal food on a week long workshop abroad... eating out everyday, every meal. I knew I could not dictate oils used in my food, but I was walking several hours a day toting a laptop around and did some bodyweight/resistance band exercises a couple times in my hotel room. Foodwise I ordered large amounts of meat and eggs with grainless sides and no sugars. I also opted out of the provided pizza, biscuits, breadsticks, pastries, etc. and munched on fruit and nuts instead.

What sold me was how good I felt coming home and the fact that I had actually lost weight (keeping in mind I was ~8% bodyfat) while on travel. I've only felt better since then and, despite my agelong reliance on bread + protein for breakfast, I don't miss grains at all. The hardest part was actually suppressing my instilled aversion to butter/bacon/oil, but that didn't take long.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    @keithpowers: +1 on sriracha. I don't use it much anymore, but when I need that kick... nothing else works.

As for me, I eased into it by limiting my non-primal food on a week long workshop abroad... eating out everyday, every meal. I knew I could not dictate oils used in my food, but I was walking several hours a day toting a laptop around and did some bodyweight/resistance band exercises a couple times in my hotel room. Foodwise I ordered large amounts of meat and eggs with grainless sides and no sugars. I also opted out of the provided pizza, biscuits, breadsticks, pastries, etc. and munched on fruit and nuts instead.

What sold me was how good I felt coming home and the fact that I had actually lost weight (keeping in mind I was ~8% bodyfat) while on travel. I've only felt better since then and, despite my agelong reliance on bread + protein for breakfast, I don't miss grains at all. The hardest part was actually suppressing my instilled aversion to butter/bacon/oil, but that didn't take long.

Both - hey new best friend.

1st time: Did it with friends and we eased into it....it didn't work. We were all of the Paleo/Primal Bandwagon after 2 weeks. Built in cheats/vices just made it more difficult.

2nd time: All in without friends. It was surprisingly easy the 2nd time, because I knew what I was getting into and I was mentally ready (I made it a lifestyle, not a diet).

Cold turkey worked best for me. Had lots of energy, no carb flu (sweet tooth different story), and the results were motivating.
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast