Thread: Student Government - Making College More Primal/Paleo-Friendly page

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member

Student Government - Making College More Primal/Paleo-Friendly

Primal Fuel
    I am an elected living areas (dorm) senator in the Undergraduate Student Government at The Ohio State University main campus. In my role, I can work with other students in USG and university officials, staff, and faculty to create or change policies that best address student concerns. We actually have a lot of sway in how things are run here, and one of our biggest projects coming up this year is to improve student wellness and fitness. I know our student President wants to improve the availability of local foods, more fresh (organic) produce, and better health counseling for students.

Last year, we worked to get halal dining options for Muslim students and in years past the student government has fought for more vegetarian and gluten-free options. Now its my turn: I want to make the dining halls more paleo/primal friendly. I would appreciate any input you folks can provide.

Here are a few of my ideas/concerns.
    - Clear and accurate labeling of ALL food at ALL dining locations. This includes which kinds of oils are used, whether there is added sugar/HFCS, gluten-free or not, etc. What are some other common labeling techniques that would pass for paleo-friendly?
    - Move away from vegetable oil, in favor of what? I doubt a giant institution like OSU could afford to switch entirely from vegetable oil to coconut oil..
    - Up-to-date nutrition facts online - they currently have all the menus on the dining website, but the info isn't up-to-date or filled in most of the time.
    - Improving "vegetarian" options, which is how I plan on pushing improving the salad bars. Get rid of the iceberg lettuce in favor of romaine or spinach, for example. What are some other salad bar staples that I can push for?
    - Healthier snack options: instead of or in addition to potato chips and HFCS yogurt, perhaps offer some unsalted almonds/walnuts, more fruit, veggie packs, greek yogurt, etc.
    - Increase convertibility of sandwiches to salads. They offer some nearly paleo (as close as you can be on a mass scale) sandwiches/wraps with salmon, tuna, chicken, turkey breast, hamburger, etc....but you can only get them in sandwich form. I am usually able to get the insides in a box without the bun, but it would be nice to have the option to "make it a salad" like Subway does. Just throw it all on a bed of lettuce/spinach with some extra veggies.

I am going to push the paleo-friendly label as far as I can, but I may have to resort to emphasizing the vegetarian, celiac, and low-carb needs in order to get closer to the ideal.

I'd appreciate any advice on getting this project accomplished.

CoS
    I also found a professor at OSU that wrote a book on prehistory diets. Here is an article about her research: Ancestral Appetites - Academic and Professional Books - Cambridge University Press. She may prove to be a valuable resource in convincing the university that some of these changes are beneficial.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoS View Post
    Here are a few of my ideas/concerns.
    - Clear and accurate labeling of ALL food at ALL dining locations. This includes which kinds of oils are used, whether there is added sugar/HFCS, gluten-free or not, etc. What are some other common labeling techniques that would pass for paleo-friendly?
    - Move away from vegetable oil, in favor of what? I doubt a giant institution like OSU could afford to switch entirely from vegetable oil to coconut oil..
    - Up-to-date nutrition facts online - they currently have all the menus on the dining website, but the info isn't up-to-date or filled in most of the time.
    - Improving "vegetarian" options, which is how I plan on pushing improving the salad bars. Get rid of the iceberg lettuce in favor of romaine or spinach, for example. What are some other salad bar staples that I can push for?
    - Healthier snack options: instead of or in addition to potato chips and HFCS yogurt, perhaps offer some unsalted almonds/walnuts, more fruit, veggie packs, greek yogurt, etc.
    - Increase convertibility of sandwiches to salads. They offer some nearly paleo (as close as you can be on a mass scale) sandwiches/wraps with salmon, tuna, chicken, turkey breast, hamburger, etc....but you can only get them in sandwich form. I am usually able to get the insides in a box without the bun, but it would be nice to have the option to "make it a salad" like Subway does. Just throw it all on a bed of lettuce/spinach with some extra veggies.
    clear labeling is a great idea, particularly with those with dietary restrictions like celiacs. i don't think an entire ingredients list or micronutrient panel is necessary, but it would be great if students could see what ingredients are there so they can avoid the things they want to avoid, and at least the macronutrients would be good.

changing the oil would be great--switching to palm for cooking would probably be best, but i know there are some environmental concerns with that--but when you consider the size of ohio state, it's really asking a lot. it's a food service standard, and switching to a better option is a big battle with a huge price tag...i'd let this one go.

nutrition facts...good. it might also help students to see a kind of healthy food rating. i'm sure this would likely come from mostly CW thinking (whole grains getting five stars), which sucks, but it still might help students think more about their food choices.

salad bar options are good thing to fight for. spinach and other dark greens are good, plus you might see the following on a standard salad bar offering: broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, cukes, sprouts, bacon, chicken, cheese, roasted red peppers, nuts and seeds, salsa, pepperoni, etc...and a good salad bar gets creative after that. this is probably the best place to bring up those sandwich options too. good salad bars have great meat options...tuna and chicken salads, turkey, etc....adding more deli meats should be a breeze.

snacks...hard boiled eggs. cheap (for the school) and easy, plus one of the best foods by almost everyone's standards

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Stolen from Louis CK: Buy a couple of lions and set them loose. You can't afford to be fat when a lion can run after you and eat you at any moment.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Stolen from Louis CK: Buy a couple of lions and set them loose. You can't afford to be fat when a lion can run after you and eat you at any moment.
    1) Grab the nearest sledgehammer. If there isn't one then a shovel will do.
    2) Hit the emo kid over the head and run while the lions eat.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Sweet you're creating an environment for more terrorists, go you!
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't even think of suggesting palm oil on a college campus. The protesters with the pictures of the sad orphaned baby orangutangs will be on you in a heartbeat, even if you pledge to get only sustainable, no-orangutangs-harmed West African palm oil (much more expensive).

I think labeling and the gluten free/low carb "make it a salad" thing would be your best bets by far. You can help a lot of different people with those same moves. If there is a salad bar, see if you can get OLIVE OIL and vinegar as a dressing option (at my undergrad university, for example, they had "oil and vinegar dressing" which was mostly canola oil)

CoS
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, the oil thing is another big concern. There is just a bottle of some oil sitting there, and I avoid it because I don't know if its extra virgin olive. I will find out. I think I'll inquire about hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, but if that looks like too much of a fight, I will go on to smaller things. I don't eat the shit they fry, and my peers should know not to eat that stuff already, so I have to pick my battles.

I think expanded labeling, more gluten-free options, more nutritional info online and on site, the expanded produce, and "make it a a salad" option are going to be my agenda.