Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: -18 lbs in 10 weeks (among other things) page

norak is offline Senior Member

Norak's Primal Journal: -18 lbs in 10 weeks (among other things)

Primal Fuel
    Hi. I'm a 6'3" male in my early thirties with a guesstimated body fat percentage of about 25%. I'm not too happy with this, so I'm planning to do something about it, starting today. I've been on this forum for a while now, but my efforts to lose weight and gain health have been somewhat inconsistent, so I thought it was time for a reset.

I'm currently weighing in at ~238lbs with a 37" waist and I'm aiming to get that down to ~220lbs and 34" by November 1st (10 weeks from today).

I'm already down ~12lbs and 1.5" since May, so I know this is doable, but I need to focus on eating cleaner and working out more consistently.

So, here's my plan:

- Eat 2-3 meals per day.
    - Eat clean, whole foods (meat, fish, fowl, fruits and vegetables).
    - No dairy, except sour cream and butter.
    - No added sugar or artificial sweeteners (only whole fruit or 100% fruit juice to deal with sugar cravings).
    - Limit grains (typically a burger w/bun 1-2 times per week).
    - Limit processed food.
    - Strength training 3 times per week.
    - Walking/running/hiking/biking/whatever 2 times per week.

I'm hoping to achieve this without losing too much muscle (actually, I'm hoping to gain muscle), so I also have some strength/fitness goals to go with it:

Squats: 2x6 x 90kg (~198.5lbs)
    Deadlift: 2x6 x 100kg (~220lbs)
    Bench press: 2x6 x 115kg (~253.5lbs)
    Dips: 2x6 x 15kg (~33lbs)
    Chin-ups: 2x12
    Pull-ups: 2x6

Note that these are typical workout sets and not 1RM/5RM or anything like that. (I have no interest in knowing those.)

For reference, here's my workout log from last week:

Squats:
    1x8 x 20kg, 1x8 x 40kg, 2x8 x 60kg

Deadlift:
    1x8 x 40kg, 1x8 x 50kg, 1x8 x 60kg, 1x8 x 70kg

Bench press:
    1x8 x 60kg, 1x8 x 70kg, 1x8 x 80kg, 1x8 x 90kg

Dips:
    1x8, 1x8 x 4kg, 2x8 x 8kg

Chin-ups:
    1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2, 1x1

I didn't do pull-ups last week, but last time I did I could do 2-3 sets of 1-2 reps.

It's been a long time since I've done any "serious" strength training, so I don't know if the strength goals stated above will be too easy, or even too hard, but it's a starting point anyway. I might have to adjust my goals in a couple of weeks, when I know more about what my strength/fitness level actually is.

Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted on my progress...

Note:
    As far as 80/20 goes, I'm aiming for eating clean on a a day-to-day basis, but I'm not going to stress about "unclean" eating during social events, etc. Typically I will go out drinking (beer) 1-2 times per month and go out for non-primal dinner (i.e. with ice cream dessert, etc.) about the same.

I'm a pragmatist, and having failed the 100% "clean" path so many times in the past, I'm not even going to bother trying to do it this time. I will try as hard as I can to eat clean on "my own time", but when I'm not in control of the menu, I'm not going to obsess about it either.
    Last edited by norak; 09-07-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Good luck!

Check out Mark's e-book, Primal Blueprint Fitness, for some good exercises to work toward your strength goals.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Ditch the idea to drink 100% fruit juice. Stick to whole fruits, water, tea, coffee, wine.

Juice will only exacerbate sugar cravings & spike insulin.

And eat your burger without the bun If a burger without bun isn't enough for you, go for a double, but still skip the bun.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Ditch the idea to drink 100% fruit juice.
    +eleventy billion.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Ditch the idea to drink 100% fruit juice. Stick to whole fruits, water, tea, coffee, wine.

Juice will only exacerbate sugar cravings & spike insulin.
    I haven't had any problems with this so far, but I see your point. For the past few days I've had 1-2 glasses of juice to deal with my carb flu headaches, but I will gradually be reducing juice intake over time, so in 1-2 weeks I don't expect to be drinking juice at all.

And eat your burger without the bun If a burger without bun isn't enough for you, go for a double, but still skip the bun.
    Yeah. I have considered this. When I eat burgers at home I don't have any buns, but the 1-2/week burger I'm talking about above is my "lunch treat" at work (i.e. from a junk food establishment ). There are some places that offer burgers without buns (wrapped in salad), but I've found that eating them "on the go" is actually quite messy (i.e. it would require a plate and/or a fork/knife). I've also gone the "double burger" route, but it's quite expensive (i.e. double price). A typical "fast food" burger is $10-$15, so a double would be $20-$30.

Long term I want to limit the junk food burger to 1-2 times per month, but I'm not quite there yet. I need to establish a good routine for preparing and bringing my own lunch to work to resolve this.
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

After digging around in some old workout logs, I found some interesting stats (well, interesting to me, anyway). I'm posting them here for future reference:

In July 2008 I was 110.5kg (~244lbs) with a 40" waist.
    In November 2008 I was 99kg (~218lbs) with a 35" waist.

Body composition analysis from April 2009:

Weight: 106.3kg (~234.5lbs)
    Fat percentage: 23.3%
    Fat mass: 24.75kg
    Lean mass: 81.55kg
    Muscle mass: 77.55kg
    Base metabolism: 2448kcal

Body composition analysis from April 2010:

Weight: 112.7kg (~248.5lbs)
    Waist: 101.0cm (39.5")
    Fat percentage: 25.4%
    Fat mass: 28.65kg
    Lean mass: 84.05kg
    Muscle mass: 79.95kg
    Base metabolism: 2540kcal

In July 2010 I was 115,5kgs (~254.5lbs) with a 40" waist (ouch!).
    In May 2011 I weighed 113.7kg (~250lbs) with a 38.5" waist.

I never bothered to do a new body analysis this year, as I already knew the results wouldn't have improved since last year (hence my estimate of still being around 25% body fat).

Although I was 5kg heavier in July 2010 compare to July 2008, my waist was the same, so I think it's fair to assume that the difference is mostly in muscle mass, which is a good thing. I'm too lazy to go through all the data from back then, but I'm quite certain that I can lift heavier now than what I could back then. For example, in 2008 I was unable to do bodyweight dips, now I can do them even with added weights (despite the fact that I, myself, am also heavier now). I don't think I could do chin-ups or pull-ups back then either.

I think November 2008 was the leanest I've been since I started strength training, and was quite pleased with it (of course, I fell off the wagon not long after, as you can clearly see from the 2009 update), so that's where I'm hoping to be again in the not too distant future. Actually, I'm hoping I can be even leaner this time around, as I have gained a fair bit of muscle since then.

In one way, it's quite depressing to see how much I've let myself go the past few years, but then again, it's good to see that my goals are actually realistic (as I have been there before). If I'm aiming for 10% body fat at a weight of 95kg, that's about 86kg of lean mass, which I think sounds about right? So, maybe, long term, 95kg (~210lbs) with a 32-34" waist should be my goal?

Now, this time around the difference is of course that I'm never going back!
    Last edited by norak; 08-26-2011 at 04:55 AM.
    Norak's Primal Journal:

fondalashay is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    I haven't had any problems with this so far, but I see your point. For the past few days I've had 1-2 glasses of juice to deal with my carb flu headaches, but I will gradually be reducing juice intake over time, so in 1-2 weeks I don't expect to be drinking juice at all.

Yeah. I have considered this. When I eat burgers at home I don't have any buns, but the 1-2/week burger I'm talking about above is my "lunch treat" at work (i.e. from a junk food establishment ). There are some places that offer burgers without buns (wrapped in salad), but I've found that eating them "on the go" is actually quite messy (i.e. it would require a plate and/or a fork/knife). I've also gone the "double burger" route, but it's quite expensive (i.e. double price). A typical "fast food" burger is $10-$15, so a double would be $20-$30.

Long term I want to limit the junk food burger to 1-2 times per month, but I'm not quite there yet. I need to establish a good routine for preparing and bringing my own lunch to work to resolve this.

Hei hei!

Really is smart to make a boxed lunch, it is not cheap to eat out here.. so you will have the added benefit of saving money! Plus, you have no clue how the meat was raised when you eat out.. I know we have good 'meat standards' in Norway, but they are still allowed to be corn/potato. Might as well get the best bang for your buck and the most nutrition for that buck too!

When you said reset in your first post I got to thinking about the reset I am doing. I am doing the leptin reset, basically it helps get your hormones and blood sugar in check. You might check out this thread - but you might be leptin sensitive and not need to worry about it.

Either way, cut the juice. Grok probably did not have juice. Juice is modern, you are getting the sugar without the natural fiber that allows it to slowly work.

Lykke Til!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I didn't realize you were in Norway or how expensive it is to eat there!

I very rarely eat a burger out. I buy good quality burgers from the grocer and cook more than I need so that I can put a couple of cold ones in the fridge to cut up into salad the next day.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Your strength goals are very low for squats and deadlifting - most anyone who lifts will have a stronger squat than bench, and a much, much stronger deadlift. For a healthy male, 315 lb (ie three big plates per side) is probably achievable for almost anyone on the deadlift. a 250 lb bench on the other hand is a pretty serious bench press!
    For reference, my own strength goals look like squat 255 for 5, dead 315 for 3 (almost there), bench 200, press 135, chins 5 reps w/ +25 lb weight, cleans 185x1.
    Have a look at the "starting strength" program, I highly recommend it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fondalashay View Post
    When you said reset in your first post I got to thinking about the reset I am doing. I am doing the leptin reset, basically it helps get your hormones and blood sugar in check. You might check out this thread - but you might be leptin sensitive and not need to worry about it.
    For breakfast I'm currently either not eating anything for I just have a piece of apple and a banana. Then I normally eat 2-3 hours later, when I'm at work. It's been working out good so far, but I do still get the carb/sugar withdrawl headaches in the morning. Hopefully, they will stop sometime next week.

Thankfully, the headaches are nowhere near as bad as they were when I completely stopped drinking soda and eating candy in May. Back then I could hardly concentrate at work, because of crazy headaches, shaking hands and small muscle cramps all over my body. Fortunately that stage is over. Now the sugar cravings are more of a mental thing.

Either way, cut the juice. Grok probably did not have juice. Juice is modern, you are getting the sugar without the natural fiber that allows it to slowly work.
    Aye. I plan on phasing out the juice, gradually. It's not really something I will miss (I've gone months without it before with no problems), so now it's more of a substitute for other (worse) sugary stuff.

Lykke Til!
    Takk.

I didn't realize you were in Norway or how expensive it is to eat there!
    Yeah. Food is quite expensive, but not as bad as we think it is. Norwegians love to complain about food prices, but the fact is we spend very little of our net income on food, compared to most other countries.

I very rarely eat a burger out. I buy good quality burgers from the grocer and cook more than I need so that I can put a couple of cold ones in the fridge to cut up into salad the next day.
    I do that too, but there are so many days I can't be bothered with cooking at home and preparing food for lunch the next day, so I just "bail out" and go buy some junk instead (yeah, it's bad. I know...).

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Your strength goals are very low for squats and deadlifting - most anyone who lifts will have a stronger squat than bench, and a much, much stronger deadlift.
    Yeah. I know. It's mainly because I lack technique in squat and deadlift. I've been doing bench presses for a decade, but I only started doing proper squatting and deadlifting a few years back. Also, it's easily the first exercises I skip if pressed on time (i.e. when I can only work out once or twice in a week), so they've been slacking behind. Bad, I know, and I hope to correct this in the future.

For a healthy male, 315 lb (ie three big plates per side) is probably achievable for almost anyone on the deadlift. a 250 lb bench on the other hand is a pretty serious bench press!
    For reference, my own strength goals look like squat 255 for 5, dead 315 for 3 (almost there), bench 200, press 135, chins 5 reps w/ +25 lb weight, cleans 185x1.
    I agree that the current goals may be a bit weak. I guess maybe I'm afraid to commit to some high goals that I'm not 100% certain I will reach. Considering that I have been slacking this summer, I think it will take at least 2-3 weeks to get "back on track" to where I was before, then I can start gaining again after that.

I think your deadlift goal sounds reasonable, but in 10 weeks only? I'm not sure. After next week, when I've had the chance to do some more sessions with "serious weight" I think I will see where I stand and maybe reconsider my strength goals.

Have a look at the "starting strength" program, I highly recommend it.
    Thanks. I'll have a look.
    Norak's Primal Journal:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast