Thread: Sainsbury beefburgers (UK) page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Sainsbury beefburgers (UK)

Primal Fuel
    HI. Just bought (and ate!!!) 2x Sainsburies premium beefburgers. And - having eaten them - read the ingredients. I expected it to be 100% prime beef. BUt no - 88% beef and .... 12% breadcrumbs. I was appalled! And shan't be buying ANY MORE of their meat products.

Usually, I would have walked along the road to the excellent butcher in the same village - but it was persisting it down with rain and I had no coat / umbrella and a marked aversion to getting wet.

So, for fellow UK shoppers - read the small print!

Wayneeuk is offline Member
    Yeah I only buy meat from butchers or local farms these days

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    With all due respect, the vast majority of beefburgers, premium or otherwise, have some breadcrumb content (at least in the UK). Whilst it is still fairly easy to find 100% beef burgers it always makes sense to check the label first (or ask of you are buying from the meat counter).

Not buying any of Sainsbury's meat products because of your mistake seems somewhat of an overreaction.

Whilst, butchers and farms offer a good outlet to buy meat, for many they aren't practical from a price or convenience point of view.

EDIT: I do most of my shopping at Waitrose btw, so have no particular reason to defend Sainsbury's.
    Last edited by maclrc; 08-23-2011 at 04:44 AM.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    The co-op do some great 100% meat beefburger, and lamb and mint burgers. And their sausages are gluten free too.

aikidochris is offline Member
    Just make your own burgers, we do every week and its really quick and simple. 500g minced beef (for 4 good size burgers), salt pepper, 2 eggs, chopped jalapenos, cumin, coriander. Throw it all in a bowl and mince with a fork, let sit for 10 mins while you warm some olive oil up in a pan and fry fist size patties till cooked, delicious and 100% meaty! Soemtimes I even sandwich some cheese between 2 patties before cooking, homemade juicy lucy, AWESOME!

Silky is offline Senior Member
    That sounds great akidochris

12% breadcrumbs in the sainsbury's ones is not good!

M&S do Angus steak burgers which have gluten-free crumb (potato and rice i think) and it's only a very small percentage so the burgers are reasonably low in carbs. They also have pork sausages that are gluten free too.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    With all due respect, the vast majority of beefburgers, premium or otherwise, have some breadcrumb content (at least in the UK). Whilst it is still fairly easy to find 100% beef burgers it always makes sense to check the label first (or ask of you are buying from the meat counter).

Not buying any of Sainsbury's meat products because of your mistake seems somewhat of an overreaction.

Whilst, butchers and farms offer a good outlet to buy meat, for many they aren't practical from a price or convenience point of view.

EDIT: I do most of my shopping at Waitrose btw, so have no particular reason to defend Sainsbury's.
    I have only ever bought burgers from butchers before - and all of the butchers I've dealt with have 100% beef burgers. Quite a lot have gluten free sausages too. Never occurred to me for a moment that super market stuff was so - what? - adulterated?!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    HI. Just bought (and ate!!!) 2x Sainsburies premium beefburgers. And - having eaten them - read the ingredients. I expected it to be 100% prime beef. BUt no - 88% beef and .... 12% breadcrumbs. I was appalled! And shan't be buying ANY MORE of their meat products.
    And where do they come up with that name for the product?

The proper name is hamburger, being, IIRC, an aphetic for something like "hamburger steak"—i.e., meat served in the Hamburg style. AFAIK the Germans do this with food. In just the same way there's a berliner which is a kind of doughnut from Berlin. I mean where's Beefburg? Is there supposed to be a German city called Beefburg?

As for the breadcrumbs, they're probably there as a binder to help the patty hang together. But you can manage without, and if it does break up a little in the pan does it really matter? Just buy some good quality (and not reduced-fat) mince—or something like chuck and blade and mince it yourself—and press it in a press. You can get them quite cheaply. Lakeland Plastics do one, for example:

Search for burger press - Lakeland, the home of creative kitchenware

It works well for making flat "sausages" from minced pork, too.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by racingsnake View Post
    The co-op do some great 100% meat beefburger, and lamb and mint burgers. And their sausages are gluten free too.
    Thanks for that. I'll be near a co-op later in the week so will check their stuff out.

Meanwhile I've just been to a local butcher and bought 3lbs of organic, grass fed beef mince. I'll turn that into burgers!

HJe also GAVE me 2lb 7 oz of lovely, organic grass fed beef fat to render down into beef dripping. Just the stuff to fry the burgers in!