Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half-marathon training plans that are primal friendly?? page

Luckylis is offline Junior Member

Half-marathon training plans that are primal friendly??

Shop Now
    Greeting folks, long-time browser, first time poster. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat question, but after browsing for an hour, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a proven half-marathon training plan, that is primal friendly and not the usual CW, run-4-days-a-week plan. I've followed those plans for the 2 half-marathons I've done, and I became burnt out at end of 3 months. I don't want to do 4 days anymore, not matter how slow or short the sessions are. Does anybody have a half-marathon training regime you'd like to share?

Here is what I was initially thinking:
    3 days per week consisting of:
    - 1 sprint session, lasting no more than 20-30 minutes. These sprint sessions will include hill repeats occassionally.
    - 1 tempo run for 3-7 miles (mileage depends on where I'm at in my training). OR, use this run as an interval one, i.e. moderate run with 30-45 second sprints.
    - 1 Long run (I use run/walk method on all runs)
    - Cross-train 2 days a week, not being afraid to cross-train on a run day.
    - 30-Day Shred by Jillian Michaels 5 days a week, for strength and full body excercises. Video is less than 30 minutes.

Thank you for reading.

treadwisely is offline Junior Member
    Hi Luckylis, I'm "training" for a half-marathon too. My current week looks similar to yours, with maybe less volume:

Mon - 1 hour "boot camp" interval class (burpees, pushups, squats, etc)
    Tues - 1 hour walk with sprints
    Wed - 1 hour boot camp class
    Thurs - 5k-ish tempo run
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 1 hour walk, maybe a short run if I feel like it
    Sun - 12K-18K long run with friends (slow enough to easily talk), 1 min walk interval every ten minutes

I also do a few dumbbell exercises and abs a couple of times a week.

It's not a "proven" plan but I know I'll finish the half! I don't want the stress of shooting for a certain time goal so I have a relaxed attitude regarding training. It's always better to be under-trained than over-trained on race day.

Good luck with your half!

davem is offline Senior Member
    Just curious, what's both of your bases right now at?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

treadwisely is offline Junior Member
    I have been running for about 5 years, have done a couple of marathons but have settled into a two half-marathons a year schedule. I find marathon training too draining.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend a book called Road Racing for Serious Runners. It has excellent training plans for 5K, 10K, 15K, half, and full marathon distances. There are more advanced, and scientifically detailed books out there, but if you want to keep it simple, this book is great. I've used the half marathon plan myself and was very impressed by it.

EDIT: Oops! I'm sorry, I just re-read your OP. The book I linked to does not have the type of plans you're looking for. You say you're looking for a "primal friendly" plan that does not involve running more than 3 days of the week. The plans in the book I linked will encourage you to run more often than that (though of course, you could modify them to suit your needs).

I think your current plan of one sprint day, one tempo day, and one long run day should work fine. The long run day is obviously going to be the most important one in terms of preparing you for the event, and as such it should be prioritized and never skipped. If burnout is a concern then you might consider dropping some of the cross training or the Jillian Michaels video, especially as mileage on the long run gets higher. You didn't mention though, are you just looking to run the half marathon for fun, or are you racing it for a specific time?
    Last edited by ciep; 08-22-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Blah is offline Senior Member
    I'll be keeping an eye on this, I'm planning a half marathon in 6 weeks. I haven't run at all (other than sprints) for over a year, so I have to build up to it.

My training plan is to start by running 2k a few times per week, then 4k, then 5k. This is to build up my general running strenght so that my feet and joints don't get a shock in the race. When I have time I will go for one long 10k during the weekend, this will be a race pace test to see how I'm going. I'll also try get in a tabata sprint once a week. At the same time I will be doing a 3-4 session per week kettlebell program for strenght and conditioning, this is what I really enjoy.

The general plan is never workout for more than an hour per day, never run more than 20k in a week, and do it all in vibram five fingers.

First week of my training down and I only managed time for two 2k runs and a tabata sprint (along with my kb workouts).
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Just curious, what's both of your bases right now at?
    Hi Davem,
    My base right now is 9:45 mile, comfortable. I have been doing endurance sports for the 3 three years, mainly sprint triathlons and half-marathons.

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    I highly recommend a book called Road Racing for Serious Runners. It has excellent training plans for 5K, 10K, 15K, half, and full marathon distances. There are more advanced, and scientifically detailed books out there, but if you want to keep it simple, this book is great. I've used the half marathon plan myself and was very impressed by it.

EDIT: Oops! I'm sorry, I just re-read your OP. The book I linked to does not have the type of plans you're looking for. You say you're looking for a "primal friendly" plan that does not involve running more than 3 days of the week. The plans in the book I linked will encourage you to run more often than that (though of course, you could modify them to suit your needs).

I think your current plan of one sprint day, one tempo day, and one long run day should work fine. The long run day is obviously going to be the most important one in terms of preparing you for the event, and as such it should be prioritized and never skipped. If burnout is a concern then you might consider dropping some of the cross training or the Jillian Michaels video, especially as mileage on the long run gets higher. You didn't mention though, are you just looking to run the half marathon for fun, or are you racing it for a specific time?
    Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated! You're right about the long run days...I've never missed those. I am training to be sub-2. My last half I came in at 2:05, so I'd like to shave at least 6 minutes.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Ah ok, so both of you are putting in a few miles a week already.

I'm looking at a half next year, but I'm currently only up to about 5 miles a week. Appreciate the answer.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

TriGirl is offline Member
    I know this isn't really that much help but I have read of a danish coach using only tempo runs and intervals/fartleg in preparation for the marathon, so he never got over 10-15km and he did really well, so I actually think that if you do the intensity training correct you could get through the half without any long runs. But I am an endurance athlete myself and love the long runs so have never really practiced that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast