Thread: Lifting in addition to my current job? page

Kilian is offline Senior Member

Lifting in addition to my current job?

Shop Now
    I'm 21, and I work at a local Grocery Outlet doing a pretty physically intensive job throwing freight and lifting heavy stuff full time, 5 days a week. When my two days off roll around the last thing I feel like doing is driving all the way to the gym to lift weights.

Is this the wrong mindset? Should I push myself to go do some deadlifts and squats at the gym, or is that just overkill? I feel like from an ancestral standpoint, Grok would be living similarly to me: lifting moderately heavy stuff all day and that would be the extent of his exercise.

Thoughts?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    The answer would depend on why you think you should lift weights.

I'm speaking purely from a health standpoint. My diet is perfect, I just wonder if I'm exerting myself enough to procure the health benefits.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    If you continue to challenge yourself, and increase the difficulty of work as your body adapts, it's probably enough. However, if the work is static, the health benefits will likely diminish with adaptation.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You might find that lifting helps to balance out some of the muscle groups. Lifting all day uses specific muscle groups--you'd probably find squats and deadlifts fairly easy to pick up, for example. If you lift stuff overhead, overhead presses will feel comfortable. However, other movements, such as pushups, pullups, rows, and so on might be out of balance strength-wise. My partner does furniture delivery and moving, and he finds that hitting the gym can alleviate some of the imbalance and means less aches and pains (well, except for DOMS some days!).

He does say that going in the morning is better for him, since after a hard physical day at work, he doesn't really want to go to the gym and would rather come home to eat, shower, and relax.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You might want to test yourself--do the fit test in PBF and see where you are on each of the 5 primal moves. That might help you figure out if you want to add anything in. (See how many push ups, pull ups, overhead press, squats, and planks etc you can do...) I'm with Owly on trying to keep in balance.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

I'm not new to lifting whatsoever. I've been doing heavy lifting and following Martin Berkhan's fasted training protocols for the past three years. Just recently with this summer job I haven't felt like going to the gym so I haven't done real weightlifting in several months.

I guess I was just trying to justify such a long departure from a gym routine. With my diet, I've maintained most of my strength, but I definitely won't be able to deadlift 2x my BW anymore.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Then I think you're totally fine, esp if you'll be getting back into a more typical routine for you in the future. B/c of your past experience, you'll know if your body feels off balance and you need to do/add something else. IMO, I wouldn't worry about the LHT for now (as you said in your first post you're basically doing it 5 days a week!)
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    There are two aspects to the health benefits of lifting weights: physical activity (even low-intensity) in itself preserves health, and more lean mass preserves organ function. Your job fits the former very well, and you'll probably see some of the latter, though you probably won't get as much as from a focused training program.

Alright cool, I'm planning on getting back into a heavy lifting routine once classes start in the fall and I have access to a gym. It just doesn't seem feasible right now to add it on top of my already busy life.