Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Pull-up and Muscle-up Inspiration! page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

More Pull-up and Muscle-up Inspiration!

Shop Now
    I just posted a video on my blog from a recent pull-up contest that took place in Brooklyn this past Saturday. Very cool stuff for those of you into this sort of thing.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Al, a question! My chin-ups are progressing nicely from 0 to 5 (not full ROM on the last ones) in a year, but I still can't achieve a full pull-up from a hang. I used to train with negatives with added weight, but let it slide, just keep trying to do a full pull-up. I can do about 5 full dips as well. Any advice on what to try to get the pull-up achieved?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Hey Leida - Congrats on your progress! Keep training hard - it takes time and dedication to achieve a full pull-up. For more info check out this post I did on how to increase your reps on pull-ups. I also did a post specifically about women doing pull-ups.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Hey, Al, a question! My chin-ups are progressing nicely from 0 to 5 (not full ROM on the last ones) in a year, but I still can't achieve a full pull-up from a hang. I used to train with negatives with added weight, but let it slide, just keep trying to do a full pull-up. I can do about 5 full dips as well. Any advice on what to try to get the pull-up achieved?
    so the only issue is the grip? when you switch to a pull up grip you aren't able to do a pull up from dead hang but in chin up grip you can?

Try a mixed grip, one hand in chin up position, the other in pull up. Make sure to switch hands too. I have to run or I'd explain, but basically in chin up grip you're able to recruit more of your biceps into the movement. See if that helps.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I progressed quite a bit alternating between negatives, assisted (machine or band), and partials (halfway down, halfway up). However, my biggest improvement came from incorporating the grip below:

Sorry I don't have any science or explanation as to why.

ciep is online now Senior Member
    What a cool event! The atmosphere seemed really motivational too, I like that. How come you didn't compete this year Al?

Esperance is offline Member
    Wow! I am in awe! Those people in the contest were nothing short of spectacular.

Man I've got a looooooooong way to go.

Could I still enter the contest with my 3-powerband assisted pull-ups?

Thanks for your continued inspiration!

Esperance

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    awesomeness.

in expanding the yoga studio space (our next project), i'm thinking that bringing someone in to do kettle bell work or some such might be cool. but then i remember that outside is always better, so, we'll just keep it at yoga, tai chi, nia, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    What a cool event! The atmosphere seemed really motivational too, I like that. How come you didn't compete this year Al?
    I got there late and missed the muscle-up comp. That was the only event I would have possibly entered. The pull-up comp takes forever since so many people participate and I didn't have time to wait around all day to find out if I placed.

Quote Originally Posted by Esperance View Post
    Wow! I am in awe! Those people in the contest were nothing short of spectacular.

Man I've got a looooooooong way to go.

Could I still enter the contest with my 3-powerband assisted pull-ups?

Thanks for your continued inspiration!

Esperance
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the video!

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    awesomeness.

in expanding the yoga studio space (our next project), i'm thinking that bringing someone in to do kettle bell work or some such might be cool. but then i remember that outside is always better, so, we'll just keep it at yoga, tai chi, nia, and so on.
    Thanks! Imo, outside isn't ALWAYS better - sometimes it's nice to train indoors - that's why you have a studio in the first place, right?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    I progressed quite a bit alternating between negatives, assisted (machine or band), and partials (halfway down, halfway up). However, my biggest improvement came from incorporating the grip below:

Sorry I don't have any science or explanation as to why.
    From reading Pavel (Tsatsouline) I basically was first exposed to the concept of "muscle recruitment" which is basically "calling in" more muscles to assist a movement. For instance, it's easier to do a regular pull-up than it is to do it with one arm, that's obviously because more muscles are called upon when using both arms.

For this purpose, when the arms are in a pull-up position, less of your forearm muscles are "recruited" so even though you're using both arms, you're not using "all" the muscles as you would in a chin-up. However, the difference is pretty small, but at the stage that the OP is in it would actually make a difference. My gf is still on her quest for her first pull up, and her favorite grip is also the neutral grip (pictured) because that's a nice in-between grip.

Next time you go for them, try squeezing your entire body not just the upper body, squeeze your butt and as you take off the ground point your toes. The more muscle you call upon, the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast