Page 84 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chocoholic's Primal Road page 84

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Derp is there a reason why you don't like Wal-Mart? I'd like an elaboration from your pov because I personally think it's a brilliant company.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Because they're a mega-corp with dozens of layers of hierarchy: worker < supervisor < assistant manager < manager < general manager < district manager < regional manager < ACEO < CEO < Stockholder/Owner. They pay their employees slave wages despite being able to clearly afford to pay them liveable wages.

it is solely designed to ensure that the owners at the top receive the product that the worker labored to produce. It is unjust and everything wrong with this society. Well, not everything, but a lot. Corporate greed and trampling on the "little man". I have no problem smashing their windows and stealing from them, if only it wasn't like one annoying ant against a giant.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Because they're a mega-corp with dozens of layers of hierarchy: worker < supervisor < assistant manager < manager < general manager < district manager < regional manager < ACEO < CEO < Stockholder/Owner. They pay their employees slave wages despite being able to clearly afford to pay them liveable wages.

it is solely designed to ensure that the owners at the top receive the product that the worker labored to produce. It is unjust and everything wrong with this society. Well, not everything, but a lot. Corporate greed and trampling on the "little man". I have no problem smashing their windows and stealing from them, if only it wasn't like one annoying ant against a giant.
    Isn't this what a corporation large enough to reach that scope is entitled to? So what if they pay workers not so well; wasn't it the decision of the worker to work at that price? I think it's quite beautiful to see Walmart do so well. It proves that a natural monopoly is able to flourish given the right strategy. Yes, it does represent some of the things that is wrong with our society (e.g. loss of community when the mom and pop stores are flushed out). But the company is simply looking at what society is currently and is becoming in order to succeed in the current system. There will probably be a rising force to push it out when society decides to change (e.g. Amazon with the rise in telecommunication). Am I being too biased here?...

Side note: lol, your dislike of Walmart reminds me of my distaste of Apple
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 10-10-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Gahhhh my back hurts...probably because the masseuse loosened up all the knots and I am recreating them from my daily gaming fixes / not enough sleep again. One improvement I've made is lessening some of the stress from work, by making some changes to my habits and also listening to exclusively Christian music in the car during my commute. I am expecting this to improve everything overall, especially since I spend so much time there and in the traffic.

On another good note, I have started exercising somewhat regularly again. The bad thing is that my stomach got bigger, presumably from all the sugary candies I have been eating, so I am reining that back now, but I probably weigh less than I did a month ago (presumably from muscle loss). For my exercise plan, I'm thinking yoga 1-2x/week, olympic lifting 1-2x/week, and rest/walking on the others. Now to find a not-too-expensive yoga class!

The eating: after my horrible fiasco at self defense class, I decided to just never pursue the potato hack again since my body is so weak now. I think I may have sustained some kidney damage over the years, so I will dial back my proteins to a moderate scope -- about 60-80g/day compared to my 100-150g before (and even as high as 250g last year!). The hardest part about my eating now is that I am trying to avoid overly salty foods. This is actually pretty difficult because my daily Whole Foods fix is hecka salty, and I like using them to reduce the time commitment of preparing my own food. I will hit my stride eventually...

Lastly, the spiritual/intellectual. While I still have not pursued much reading, I am due to pick up a World War Z audiobook at the library, for listening during my commute. This should stimulate some of the brain activity that is not used by the hours I am at work. While I am not so diligent on meditation lately, I will try to incorporate more of that this coming week now that I am not so hung up on getting to my self defense class that is so far away from everything. And of course, my Sunday mornings are always nice for meditation, though some of the time I'm half asleep for some reason Perhaps some piano playing will soothe me too...I feel really lame just playing the same song over and over, though. My neighbors must be bored XD I should revisit my Rachmaninoff that I haven't played in years...

I made chicken feet yesterday and they taste GREAT today. I was expecting the room temperature to solidify the fat atop the gelatin, but that didn't work, so I am leaving in the fridge for now. I ate the whole 1 lb of the feet for breakfast, but I don't feel gross or sick at all; probably all the stuff leeched into the liquid, lol.

I also made persimmon ice cream. It should be up on my blog soon, after I make some tweaks on a second batch.

Yesterday afternoon-on, my living wasn't so healthy. I slept from 10-7:30 that morning, went to the farmer's market, and had some caffeinated coffee. Brought back $20 in fruits and vegetables (they have local Yali pears! I'm bringing a cart next time so I can OD on them). Then...proceeded to play video games until 12 from around 5. Going to have to rein that back now.

Acne came out yesterday. I am thinking it's either PMS or the super spicy inflammation inducing tea and ginger pieces I had in the morning.

Looking forward to yoga today. Will also get a head start on the shopping today.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Lol, I miss that playing or modding games for a few hours straight... have it while you can! Now, I can't even load the module I was working on 2 years ago, and can't focus on the games with all the other things going on...

I can't wait for persimmons to start showing up! Persimmons and pomegranates are my winter favorites

I haven't had chicken legs forever, but used to love them in my grandma's soups.... fat normally do not solidify for me at room temp, just goes soggy yuk. I prefer fridge.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Lol, I miss that playing or modding games for a few hours straight... have it while you can! Now, I can't even load the module I was working on 2 years ago, and can't focus on the games with all the other things going on...

I can't wait for persimmons to start showing up! Persimmons and pomegranates are my winter favorites

I haven't had chicken legs forever, but used to love them in my grandma's soups.... fat normally do not solidify for me at room temp, just goes soggy yuk. I prefer fridge.
    Haha, Leida, you are one busy lady! I would be surprised to see you sitting at a computer for so long doing one thing!

Totally get you on the pomegranates and persimmons being fall/winter faves (although certain varieties of pears do it for me, too). I started my low carbing in the fall a few years ago when I was living at a lady's place that sported a large pomegranate tree... *idiot!!* Learned my lesson there

Hm. Is it better to have 200 calories in granola and 600 calories in chocolate, or 280 from a box of coconut water with carageenan, or 150 from an ice cream pint that has guar/xantham gums?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Hm. Is it better to have 200 calories in granola and 600 calories in chocolate, or 280 from a box of coconut water with carageenan, or 150 from an ice cream pint that has guar/xantham gums?
    Depends on your goals.
    Are you counting calories?
    Are you trying to lose weight?
    Are you trying to prevent/treat illness?
    Etc.

Cargeenan is shamed on by "healthy vegan" circles that eat wheat. Not sure if that answers your question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Health of course but I think being on the heavier side in itself is also a health hazard. Plus extra food at night potentially disrupts sleep.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with ice-cream. Seems the most palatable option that is likely to result in satisfaction and not getting other things beside it.... I am also not a fan of coconut water/milk (but I love coconut meat/oil)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 84 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast