Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chocoholic's Primal Road page 6

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Tuesday, October 4

It was still going well today! For breakfast I had a Caffe Misto from Starbucks with whipping cream. Then I went to get a refill for free (yayy green card!) for lunch. Dinner was liver and cauliflower and three pieces of Chinese-roasted rib that my boarder gave me because she had too much meat. Then I snacked on a bell pepper and the rest of my coconut cream concoction. Definitely VLC today!

mmmpork is offline Member
    Unless you have a bad reaction to dairy, you shouldn't limit it as it contains vital nutrients (see http://www.westaprice.org). Raw dairy contains lactobaccilli that will consume the lactose in it, so you can leave it out for like 12 hours to sour slightly and that will significantly reduce the carbs. I have been consuming about 16-20 oz per day and have managed to stay in ketosis (according to Ketostix). Additionally good quality Greek Yogurt is high in fat and contains 5g carbs per serving (just read the label to make sure it contains milk, cream, and live cultures.. the one I get also contains pectin as a thickener). Also cheese doesn't have a lot of lactose either, so trace amounts of carbs.

Not sure why you are avoiding nuts. Soak raw nuts overnight and dry them out in the oven or a dehydrator at 150 deg F for 12-24 hrs. That will reduce the phytates so they'll be more digestible.

Regarding chocolate, DUDE you need to get some cocoa nibs. Cacao Nibs — Cocoa Nibs mdash; NutsOnline
    Note that while one serving contains 7g of carbs, 5g of that is fiber. Mark has a great recipe in his Quick Meals Primal Cookbook called Nutty Balls (the name of that recipe just makes me lol). I substitute cocoa nibs and reconstituted goji berries for the blueberries in his recipe. You could potentially go all cocoa nibs and the dried dates in that recipe are enough to sweeten the cocoa nibs. Another thing you can do to sweeten them is eat them with almonds. Or just eat them plain, they are really bitter but if you love chocolate there ya go. OH and for brands of chocolate there's an awesome brand that comes out of Seattle called Theo -- http://www.theochocolate.com They buy the raw beans and process it from start to finish.

Finally, when tallying your carbs, don't forget to subtract dietary fiber from that total. To be in ketosis per PB, you want to be consuming less than 100g of carbs per day, and there's a formula in the book for figuring out your target based on your lean and fat body weight. Mine is about 75.

Good luck!!!!
    Last edited by mmmpork; 10-04-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks for your post!

I avoid nuts because they are addicting and I can't snack on just a small amount from a huge bag. If I pre-portion, I will also eat the other pre-portioned bags. Too many calories and carbs.

I like yogurt and eat some every once in a while. My favorite is kefir cheese, which is a mix between cheese and yogurt, and tastes like cream cheese almost. I don't know why I should avoid cheese other in that it's addicting for me and I can eat a whole block at once. Mark said to limit to small quantities due to hormones and all that jazz?

And I really love cocoa nibs, and only by themselves because the sweetness in fruits helps make them taste more bitter and makes the nibs less satisfying. They're just really super expensive and I would rather just do with some really dark chocolate because it is cheaper and more satisfying anyway. By the way - LOVE Theo. The one time I visited Seattle I made sure to go to the factory to get the tour and the free samples. SO yummy, but I can only find it at Whole Foods here, and for a hefty price =x

I heard you're not supposed to subtract fiber when totaling up the carbs. Seems to be the trend, and the reasoning makes sense in order to really really restrict your carbs, so that's what I do.
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 10-04-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Wednesday, September 5

Yes! Today went quite well too! Breakfast was a pack of gum because I needed to get rid of it, and it had caffeine in it. Boo on the sugar alcohols though - I consumed almost 20g of them. Lunch was chicken with some coq au vin sauce and grilled vegetables. Dinner was duck gizzard with red wine mushroom sauce atop riced cauliflower. Snacked on some red bell pepper, and then finished with the rest of my coconut milk in the can from yesterday with cocoa, vanilla, and tiny bit of stevia. And some whipped cream without sugar. Carbs definitely below 50g today. Yay!! =]

Thursday, September 6

Not quite as happy as I felt yesterday, but I think I did well today too. Had a misto with whipping cream for breakfast. Then had duck gizzard with red wine mushroom sauce on riced cauliflower for lunch. Another misto in the afternoon (man, I am totally digging these free refills from Starbucks! ) with heavy whipping cream. Had half a pound of ground beef with a pound of gailan with vegetable seasonings stir fried in. Then I felt like I wanted more protein, so I ate an egg and some soy protein powder (trying to get rid of it...gargh!). Dessert was whipped cream. I would say total carbs today were probably around 30-40g.

I have way too many vegetables in the fridge but no protein! Need to make a grocery list for the weekend:

Friday: organic rotisserie chicken, coconut milk
    Saturday: lots of cheese, maybe another organic rotisserie chicken depending on cheese selection
    Sunday: frozen turkey burgers, cheese?, frozen organic vegetables?, whatever that's organic and bulk that I can find at Costco, toilet paper...and I can finally return my unopened bag of organic steel cut oats XD

Friday, September 7

Not terrible today. Today was my rest day, but maybe I had too much rest, as I did not walk around or bike around like I used to. Breakfast was about 1/3 cup light cream cheese (that's all they give with office bagels nowadays =[ ). Lunch was 1/2 lb ground beef with 1 lb gailan and vegetable seasonings. Dinner threw me off because the grocery store was selling organic roast chicken that was RAW, not roasted, so my dinner became cauliflower fried rice with linguica and parsley. Dessert was an entire 70% cacao with nibs bar, and then some whipped cream. I calculated my carb count to be around 60g today, which isn't terrible. I'll probably need it, as I am planning on attending a boot camp tomorrow morning for at least half an hour.

Saturday, September 8

Bleh, today just proves what I cannot buy or else I'll go overboard eating it because I associate it too much with reward and yumminess. Went to Costco for the first time today and bought almost a pound of French raw milk cheese and a pound of chevre, 3 pounds of cooked linguica, and a rotisserie chicken. I skipped breakfast but for lunch I had two chicken drumsticks and the leftover chicken scraps from all the meat I could pull apart from the rotisserie, and some celery. Then for dinner....I had the entire block of raw milk cheese and almost 3/4 of the chevre. Sooooo much salt x.x I went for a short walk to Whole Foods, where I bought some coconut milk, but I could still feel the salt running through my veins once I got home. Then I had some coconut milk with cocoa and stevia. And a zevia can because I couldn't find the damn sparkling water slightly flavored with lemon at Whole Foods. Despite the 10g of carbs in the Zevia can (how the heck does it have 0 calories anyway???), I think I only consumed about 40g carbs. Not terrible, but I consumed close to 3,000 calories, I think. At least I did some boot camp in the morning and walked a little bit throughout the day!

Sunday, September 9

Did just okay today. Breakfast was coconut milk with coffee, and then some chicken. Pre-lunch was a get-together with my friends due to a birthday, and I felt bad sharing a plate of dessert with someone and just letting them eat it, so I had the walnuts and some of the wheat-stuff around it to compensate XD Lunch was a bunch of chicken and the rest of my chevre, and then I felt like having some dessert, so made coconut milk-cocoa mixture again. Dinner was fried cauliflower rice with the final amount of my chicken, parsley, and some egg. Then I felt obligated to buy some farmers cheese and lebni when showing my landlady around this small produce store near the house, so I ate some of each after we came home. Carbs probably totaled 45-50g. Can't wait to play tomorrow!! =)

On a side note, I'm also really proud of myself today for resisting buying pistachios at Costco even though it was on sale and super cheap! And I decided what my reward will be after I've successfully made the conversion to primal: a Vosges bacon chocolate bar. Costs $6 at WF, dammit.

edit: Actually scratch that. Carbs at 65-70g because of some last minute chocolate...mmmmm

Also after reading so many posts about o6 and o3, I'm going to start eating salmon more. I'm going to aim for every other day.
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 10-10-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Monday, September 10

Aw, did so well today in the beginning. Breakfast was leftover cheese and linguica. Lunch was linguica. Dinner was linguica and a little amaranth leaves and a high-cacao chocolate bar. Then ate some canned salmon because I was hungry...but was still hungry...and saw the mochi on the table...AND THEN THE SUGAR BINGE BEGINS...I ate some mochi...and then some more. Before I knew it, I consumed about 120g carbs in mochi. ARGH. And now my heart is beating super fast. Does this mean I'm going to get diabetes? =(((

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    haha i don't think one binge is dooming you for diabetes if it is i'm doomed because i've caved several times this past month.

what's linguica? and mochi?

Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast