Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chocoholic's Primal Road page 49

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thursday:

Had 6 hours of sleep. Breakfast was a cup of coffee. Lunch was coffee with cream. Started to get hungry in the afternoon, so went over to Whole Foods and bought a chicken leg, some teriyaki chicken, and some greens. Walked 4.5 miles total. Came home and ate 1/2 lb ground beef with carrots, some kimchi, 1 lb of sweet potato, some egg, and napa cabbage salad. Total calories 2000.

Friday:

Again....6 hours of sleep. Had a breakfast of a cup of coffee with cream. Lunch was a shitload of meat from a food truck. Biked home for an hour and a half and had a dinner of pound of trail mix. Then went out drinking and dancing. Calories 3800 (FINALLY! A caloric maintenance day)

Saturday:

Had 9 hours of intermittent sleeping. Woke up around 12 and ate my lunch of 1/2 lb of trail mix at 2. Also ate some sour cream and lamb sausages, bone broth, and some carrots. Then I ate more almonds. Then I ate a chocolate bar. Somehow I wasnt full at the 3000 calorie mark after 2 hours of eating o.O. Then I made some beef tongue and ate that for dinner, along with a cabbage salad followed by coconut flour.

Calories 4700. Hopefully that was enough to stimulate muscle growth because my gym performance has been shitty.

Sunday:

Woke up after 8 hours of sleep. Walked 8 hours during the day. Beforehand, I had a lunch of 3/4 lb beef tongue and a napa cabbage salad. Had coffee in the afternoon. Dinner was trail mix, chicken liver with onion and balsamic, another cabbage salad, some carrots, and beef broth from shank. Calories 2800. Probably coming down with an illness to boot -.-

Monday:

Was sick last night, and possibly sweated out a fever. Ate lunch at 1pm, which included bone broth, 1 lb leftover shank, roasted carrots with parsley, 1 lb sweet potato, and a few oz of trail mix. I think the trail mix might be screwing up my sweet tooth because afterward I feel like binging on stuff. Like the container of chocolate almonds. D'oh. Too bad, since the trail mix has good stuff like goji, sprouted seeds, and other organic dried fruits.

Biked to go lifting.

Squats: 45x1x5, 95x1x5, 135x1x5, 160x3x5
    Snatch: 45x1x5, 65x3x5
    Bench: 45x1x5, 95x2x5, 100x1x5

Dinner was a salmon parsley salad and the remaining chocolate covered almonds. Calories 4000.....

Tuesday:

Really feeling the stress and adding no value at my workplace. I mean, I do work, but right now I just support people. And all my current superiors care about is money, versus the prior superiors who cared about people. Cried at the end of the day.

Walked 2 miles during the day. Lunch was heavy cream with coffee. Dinner was Japanese curry with rice and some broth. Calories 1800.

primalsun is offline Member
    Hey Sakura_girl! I've been reading through your journal a bit, and forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked of you already, but how do you manage to eat so much and not gain a ton of fat? I understand you're trying to gain strength, but if I remember correctly you're around 160lbs. I'm a young man weighing around 160 lbs and if I eat more than 2500 cals or so I begin to gain fat pretty quickly. I noticed some of your days were well over 3000 kcals, and I was just curious how it all worked out for you because I'm kinda super jealous and pretty impressed. Would you mind posting an updated height, weight, and activity level? I'm sorry if you've done this recently and I just didnt look hard enough but I'm just super interested! Thanks!

No worries!

So I've been hovering between 150-160lbs because of my stress levels going up and down. I'm probably closer to 160 again just because recently I've been stressed up the a-hole.

Before I changed locations for my job, this was my typical week of activity/food:

Monday: Walk 1 mile, Squats, Deadlifts, OHP - 2000 calories
    Tuesday: Walk 5 miles - 3000 calories
    Wednesday: Walk 1 mile, Squats, Snatches, Bench press -2000 calories
    Thursday: Walk 3 miles - 3500 calories
    Friday: Walk 1 mile, Tabata sprints for 16 minutes - 2000 calories
    Saturday: Hike for 3 hours, about 8 miles - 3000 calories
    Sunday: Walk 1/2 mile at most, maybe - 4000 calories

I tend to eat much more on the days following my activity. It seemed to be working at the time since I could feel the fat slowly melting off. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Also, questions for you: how old are you, did you use to be obese, what is your height, and do you do any fasting? Maybe if you coudl also give me an idea of what kinds of food you eat on a daily basis.
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 10-17-2012 at 01:20 PM.

primalsun is offline Member
    Thanks so much for the quick reply! You have a pretty high activity level so it makes sense you can eat a good bit and not balloon up! To answer your questions: I'm 19, male, 5'7", 160 lbs

And here's a quick summing up of my last two years of life

All of my life I have been overweight/obese. It was summer 2009 when I decided to make a change, my weight being 220 lbs at the time. I began eating smaller portions and running/ some weight lifting 4x week. I continued this until spring of 2010 where I sat around 180 lbs. I'd lost 40 lbs in about 7 months and I looked decent and felt pretty good. The only problem was that the more weight I lost the more obsessed with it I became. I began reducing calories further which led to severe stomach pain, cramps, and constipation. Because of my health issues I quit working out as it became too painful to run and do other exercises. This begins my downward spiral into Veganism (I know, I know). Long story short I was a die hard vegan from early spring of 2010 to late summer of 2011. I managed to get down to 136lbs . I looked dead. Like I legit looked like I had just crawled out of a coffin. My skin was pale, my hands always freezing, I had chronic constipation and bloating, and I became depressed.

But guess what? I still hated my body. Now instead of being "thick" all over I had stick limbs that looked weird considering I have super broad shoulders and I STILL had an unattractive stomach bulge that was flabby. I began eating primal in August of 2011 and felt a good deal better. My stomach was still not great but my constipation lessened up and I felt somewhat alive again. I began crossfit and slowly gained back about 40 lbs (a good bit of muscle, too much fat). Fast forward to today, I've lost about 15 lbs of the gained back weight and now rest at about 160 lbs. I still have too much flab on my stomach and lower back but I'm at a point where it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. I practice slight caloric restriction in cycles of 3-4 weeks restricting at a time, and then I take about a month off from it. My goal is to be down to a bf% that I'm happy with by the new year so that I can really focus on building strength and muscle.

My exercise as of now includes 3-4 days a week of powerlifting strength training, and a lot of walking. I do not fast because I'm afraid it will throw me back into my past ways of unhealthy restriction. On a calorie reduced day, I usually hit around 1900 calories. On a maintenance day its usually around 2400. Even doing this my weight loss is relatively slow.
    On a daily basis I eat lots of eggs, beef, pork, vegetables, and sometimes a few corn tortillas (hand-made without nasty ingredients) or beans. I know the latter two aren't primal but I've included them as part of my diet because I really enjoy them and they're cheap!

I appreciate any advice or opinions

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, thanks for your info!

I may not be right, but I try not to calorically restrict at all. I'm a huge believer of hormone regulation, and to be honest, your testosterone levels might be low just because of your past obesity/chronic exercise/veganism. If anything, I would say try to lessen the external stressers in your environment, eat at maintenance (restriction is a stressor), and do intense exercise fewer times a week (also a stresser). And most of all, you still need to give it time for your body to heal, because it sounds like you just did a number of things that your body is hanging onto that fat for.

That's all I have to give. Just be more happy in general, and focus on other factors that will make you happy instead of your weight, because it seems like that still gives you a lot of internal stress. Focus on strength, if anything. I dig big, strong guys more than extremely lean ones, anyway.

Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast