Thread: Nuking the last 10 Pounds Primal-style page

MetalBeth is offline Member

Nuking the last 10 Pounds Primal-style

Can't promise that this journal will be especially edifying to anyone but me, but I'm at a point where it's getting crucial to start noting details and fine-tuning my lifestyle. High granularity, if you please. Yes, I work in IT.

I have been following a Primal-like plan since late Feb '11, when I weighed 198. The "ah-ha!" moment for me was threefold:
    1) My SIL tagged pictures of me at her baby shower. I had no idea that my appearance had morphed into that of a sickly heifer. Even with the double chin, my head looked small compared to my body. The sallow skin and dark circles under my eyes didn't help, either.
    2) I picked up Why We Get Fat and devour- uh, read it in two days flat.
    3) I somehow found MDA and the Carbohydrate Curve, and used that for my starting guide.

Overnight, I began thinking of insulin as a sleeping monster inside of me. Consume too many carbs in one sitting and the monster wakes and starts stuffing my fat cells. The idea was not to wake the monster. I cut out grains, added sugars, microwave dinners, alcohol, and even fruits. At first I didn't exercise much, but when the weather got nice I began taking walks outside at work. Then I added in Turbo Fire DVDs 2x/week. In early July I started doing 12-20 min Bodyrock.tv workouts every other day.

Sure enough, the fat went away slowly but steadily, just as I wanted it. See, this wasn't my first time at the tractor pull. I have gained and lost and regained 30-40 pounds several times over the past 20 years (I'm 43 next month). I had used the CW method of eat less and move more, but had never really considered my macro nutrient ratios and had no clue about insulin resistance. When I read up on low-carb/high-protein eating plans, it instantly clicked for me. And although I had - and still have - cravings, I was able to take up the Primal lifestyle pretty much from Day 1, although I eased into it by eating 80-100g of carbs per day for the first month.

Now I'm sitting at 159lb with my doctor's resounding "attagirl" still ringing in my ears from my last physical. I don't have the labwork numbers here, but they are well within normal range. I'm liking what I see in the mirror, but at 5'7", it could use some more whittling down. If I can lose 10 more pounds, I'll be happy. 15 and I'll be ecstatic. Any more than that and I'll be worried, as I've been that thin before and was never, ever able to maintain it for more than a month. I know that a lot of women would be horrified to weigh more than 140, but believe it or not, at 140 I'm all ribs and hip bones. My body fat must have the consistency of a beluga whale's or something.

As I've lost the majority of the extra flab, I know the next 10lb is going to be tricky. I already hit that point that Mark warned about in the book, where the boundless energy sneaks away in the night. Part of that is my fault for tinkering with a perfectly good plan the last couple of weeks. My work, eating, and workout schedule got all out of whack and I went into plateau mode, basically. Starting today, I'm back on track despite being stuck at home with an eye infection. I still did my AM walk and had breakfast and lunch at the normal times and in the normal calorie/nutrient range. Stumbles don't get me down, they just get me going. Currently summoning the energy for a 12-minute HIIT workout. Half the fun is picking the workout I want to do. Oh wait, that's all the fun.
    2011 - The year I went Primal
    Start weight: 198 / Waist: 32"
    CW: 158.5 / Waist: 28"
    GW: 145-ish
    Supplements: Calcium and O-3 in AM. Natural Calm, Valerian Root Extract and sublingual Melatonin in PM (for lifelong chronic insomnia).

Despite my lethargy I knocked out a 15 minute bodyrock workout and felt much better afterward. Definitely getting back on track after going too low on carbs and getting off the exercise train this past week.

Food for today:
    B: EAS AdvantEDGE shake
    L: 2 cheddar bratwursts and some leftover ground beef w/ a bit of taco sauce
    D: burger w/ cheddar, no bun (of course!), lettuce w/ low carb ranch (1g carb per serving), shredded cheese and grated egg
    S: sugar-free Jell-o, 1/2 serving of trail mix
    Calories for day: 1390
    Supplements: Calcium and O-3 in AM. Natural Calm, Valerian Root Extract and sublingual Melatonin in PM (for lifelong chronic insomnia).

Yep, everything is good, now. Weighed in today (at work, so clothed but barefoot) and have lost .5lb since last week. I'll take it!

Last night I had an intense desire for ice cream, maybe because the earthquake got my adrenalin up. Who knows. Anyway, it was almost overwhelming. The urge to hit up Coldstone Creamery was still there an hour after a very satiating dinner so I went upstairs, changed clothes and...did a 12-minute bodyrock workout. BOOYA, CRAVINGS! I won this round.

My hips are looking more sculpted this past month and my glutes are more lifted looking too. The 'granny butt' is slowly but surely going away. And best of all, the fat roll in the small of my back is almost gone. The only continued trouble spot is my upper arms. I've always gained weight there first, but in the past the fat dropped right off of them first. Now it's a lot more stubborn. But then again, I gained weight in a different pattern this last time around, so it makes sense for me to lose it differently now as well.

So far today my calories and carbs have both been on the low side. Need to figure out what to have for dinner to balance things out. And yeah, I realized I called the PB a "low carb" plan in my OP and technically it isn't, but for me it is as I don't like 90% of the approved vegetables. They either taste like mud or bitter, despite repeated tries to like them over many years. Therefore, my daily carb intake stays on the lower side. So far it's not causing any problems. Energy levels are high, weight isn't coming off too fast. Once I get to the maintenance stage I'll add in some fruits or nuts.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Still dripping sweat from today's body weight workout. 12 minutes not including warmup and cool down - short but brutal. I think I might have had a fat "whoosh" episode. My saddlebags have been very mushy for the past 10 days or so. Last night I had to pee a lot. This AM upon waking I realized that my outer thighs were a lot firmer. Are they smaller? Not sure. I *think* they look a little better but it's hard to tell. My waist is still the same size, haven't measured my thighs in a few years so I can't go by that. The squishy stuff is definitely gone though.

I'll do my semi-monthly weigh-in next Monday. Hope to be a pound down from last time, but who knows?