Thread: Consequences of Having Evolved - Wisdom Teeth page

bwhit is offline Senior Member

Consequences of Having Evolved - Wisdom Teeth

Primal Fuel
    The Top Ten Daily Consequences of Having Evolved | Science & Nature | Smithsonian Magazine

So I saw this on Mark's weekend love link. Number 8 says our big brains are responsible for our crowded teeth necessitating the removal of wisdom teeth for many people. But in reading Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A Price, it seems that the modern diet is responsible for our malformed dental arches, cavities and crowded teeth.

davem is offline Senior Member
    I've always wondered at the value of retaining the wisdom teeth.

Mine are odd little bastards, come in and then go on vacation from time to time, I never know when I'll touch my gums and find one cutting through. Useless little cretins.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
    The Top Ten Daily Consequences of Having Evolved | Science & Nature | Smithsonian Magazine

So I saw this on Mark's weekend love link. Number 8 says our big brains are responsible for our crowded teeth necessitating the removal of wisdom teeth for many people. But in reading Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A Price, it seems that the modern diet is responsible for our malformed dental arches, cavities and crowded teeth.
    Exactly.

Some of those claims are crap.

The claim that we are not built for walking upright and that back pain is the inevitable result is also no more than a dubious assertion. Back pain is mainly down to "bad use" as the Alexander people would say. People tend to accumulate bad postural habits and pain necessarily follows from that. Teach them how to lose those habits and the pain goes. An NHS study involving 500 people pretty much shows that:

Back pain and Alexander technique - Health news - NHS Choices

I guess aches and pains could also be exacerbated by systemic inflammation. So, again, there are ways and means of dealing with that. Back pain doesn't follow from our physiology: we're actually quite nicely set up to do what we do; we just have problems coping with the demands of modern life which tends to throw our responses off and layer unhelpful habits on top.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    The same claim is made about painful and potentially deadly childbirth - that it's just a consequence of having pelvises shaped for upright walking. Or God's punishment, take your pick.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    The same claim is made about painful and potentially deadly childbirth - that it's just a consequence of having pelvises shaped for upright walking. Or God's punishment, take your pick.
    I've always wondered if too-narrow pelvises are more along the lines of underdeveloped dental arches and jaws due to poor nutrition (it's ALL skeletal structure, after all!)

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    I have all my teeth (wisdom teeth included) and never have had an issues. Maybe I have a small brain :-)

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I only have two, on the right side of my jaw (never developed on the left side), but they've grown in just fine. I would think it would make more sense for people to simply not develop them (as in cases like mine) than to have evolved to need them surgically removed. The fact that so many people need surgery seems more like a side effect of poor jaw development due to our diets.

My teeth are also naturally straight without braces.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal