Thread: Running + Weight Lifting? page

Toefuzz is offline Member

Running + Weight Lifting?

Primal Fuel
    Greetings all! I haven't posted in awhile but have been doing good... in fact, last week was my best week yet in terms of exercise. I walked 4x (9.69 miles), jogged 3x (8.66 miles), and biked 1x (7.35 miles) for a total of 25.7 miles in 5 hours and 44 minutes. Oh yeah, and I lost 5 pounds too. Good week! That puts me down 40 pounds total and if all goes according to plan I should be in the 220's next week for the first time since high school.

I'm committed to running a 25k in May and am working on building up my running base but wanted to add in some weight lifting, in particular Starting Strength. I'm not trying to get huge, but would like to add some muscle. I'm just about done with Couch 25k and have started using some of Jeff Galloway's walk/run method for my longer runs.

My current running program involves two 'maintenance' runs during the week (30 minutes or so, around 2.2 - 2.5 miles) and a long run on the weekend (currently around 3.5 but will get bigger every week). My plan was to go with something like this:

Monday - Lift in the AM, walk in PM
    Tuesday - Run (30 minutes or so)
    Wednesday - Lift in the AM, walk in PM
    Thursday - Run (30 minutes or so)
    Friday - Lift in the AM, walk in the PM
    Saturday - Long run
    Sunday - Rest day or an easy bike ride.

Does this look like too much?

Starting Strength involves squatting everyday, might this be too much on my knees? Anyone familiar with the program able to suggest a modification (squat twice per week maybe)?

Should I hold off on the weight lifting until I'm done with the distance running (not really considering a 5k a distance run since I can do it already)?

My eventual goals are:
    Run a 25k in May
    Be able to run a 5k with my wife without any specific training
    Get stronger

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am on the Strong Lifts version of SS, and no, squatting 3x a week is no problem as long as you have a proper form and switch to an intermediate program when appropriate. I suggest that you eliminate one of the runs however, once it is starting to screw with your recovery. While the weights are light, you can mainatin the pace. It is also a recommendation to add 20 min steady-state cario after lifting in the beginning. You will be flying through light weights, and will have time for it. You can keep yourself in a 5K run shape with 1 run a week easily.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't see any problems at all with mixing lifting and running. i've done that, and it's great for over all fitness. but, eventually one will take up more of your focus. if you're committed to a long race, focus on running (this is assuming you enjoy running) and weight lift when you can. Leida is right, you can easily do both at first while the weight is still fairly light. once you get up to a higher weight (i'd say once you're squatting your body weight), back off on the weights to maybe twice a week.
    you might also want to consider changing up your running routines a little bit. run four days a week if you want, but make one of those days an interval/sprint day, and one running hills. i also think the occasional bike ride is great race prep.

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    "I suggest that you eliminate one of the runs however, once it is starting to screw with your recovery." -- Leida

Since your goal is running a 25 K I would suggest the opposite, especially as you will eventually have to significantly ramp-up the miles.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Leida on this one - you don't need a huge amount of volume to be able to run a 25k. I've run a few 25k's on nothing but sprint training, lifting and metabolic conditioning - and I'm not a great runner.

jerryshudson is offline Junior Member
    Running and weight lifting both exercise are very good for the health and helps in building strong bones and muscle and also helps in losing weight the healthy way. It also improve the immune system and metabolism and reduce the risk of heart disease.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I'm with Leida on this one - you don't need a huge amount of volume to be able to run a 25k. I've run a few 25k's on nothing but sprint training, lifting and metabolic conditioning - and I'm not a great runner.
    Well, curious Coach... did you complete, or compete?

I'm wanting to do a 10k, and really rolling that around in my head.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Well, curious Coach... did you complete, or compete?

That's really the key here - Toefuzz, you need to determine what your goal for the 25k is in order to know what type of training is best for you. It can be tough to combine a solid weight-training program with a solid endurance training program.

As someone who has struggled with knee problems aggravated by running, I can tell you that adding squats to my program was the number one best thing to help keep me running relatively pain-free. Also, you have to consider your age and ability to recover on just one rest day per week-you may need more rest with the programs you are working on.

Best of luck to you in the 25k-is it a trail race?