Thread: How quickly does olive oil go bad? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

How quickly does olive oil go bad?

Primal Fuel
    I want to buy the huge gallon (2 2-quart jugs) of olive oil at Costco since it's rated so well at such a great price: Kirkland Signature Extra Virgin Olive Oil Best Imported Oil | Addicted To Costco!

However, I'm going to be the only person consuming this oil, and was wondering if it would be plausible for me to finish it before it goes rancid. Even if I douse everything in the stuff, I am still skeptical about how fast I can finish xD Anybody have experience with these huge jugs?

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    I am new, but if it burns your throat, it's rancid. I'd like to ask everyone else for confirmation though... Sorry I didn't answer your question. I don't know.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    It's about 18-24 months from the time it is crushed. You really have to trust your oil sources as a lot of european oil actually comes from north africa and is transported to places like italy and spain then bottles and marketed as being from there. The problem is all that transport and time waiting on docks is aging the oil so by the time it gets to you there may be only a few months life left in it.

Try to buy oil made in your own country wherever that may be.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    It's about 18-24 months from the time it is crushed. You really have to trust your oil sources as a lot of european oil actually comes from north africa and is transported to places like italy and spain then bottles and marketed as being from there. The problem is all that transport and time waiting on docks is aging the oil so by the time it gets to you there may be only a few months life left in it.

Try to buy oil made in your own country wherever that may be.
    I did not know this. It sucks that I never see any oil from CA where I live.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    Is there a Trader Joe's anywhere somewhat nearby? They carry California olive oil.

@kungfumike: a slight burn I think is actually a good thing and indicates high levels of vitamin E.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Is there a Trader Joe's anywhere somewhat nearby? They carry California olive oil.
    I go to TJ every few months because its so far away. I did buy some Greek olive oil there and the bottle just says its a product of Greece. Its quite good. I like Kalamata olive oil more than I like others because its a bit spicy. I bet the olives that go in it are from Africa too. I will try some of the CA olive oil when I go again.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    actually, if it burns your throat it's a good thing The Curious Cook - Extra Virgin Anti-Inflammatories - NYTimes.com

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Here is some info about olive oil shelf life, storage, etc.

Storing Olive Oil | The Passionate Olive
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

shyrock is offline Junior Member

Taste the Olive, Wilmington

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    NicoleP,
    There is a store that sells all kinds of olive oil in Wilmington, NC - Taste the Olive, 1125-D Military Cutoff Rd